2016 Shimano Metanium MGL Brass Gear Upgrade Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2016 Shimano Metanium MGL Brass Gear Upgrade Question

Post by chreim20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm

I just upgraded my 16 Metanium to the brass gear kit. Has anyone done this upgrade and put some serious time and stress on their reel? I'm curious how well it's held up and if it's still smooth. Would love to hear what you guys have to say!

Christian

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2016 Shimano Metanium MGL Brass Gear Upgrade Question

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:32 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm
I just upgraded my 16 Metanium to the brass gear kit. Has anyone done this upgrade and put some serious time and stress on their reel? I'm curious how well it's held up and if it's still smooth. Would love to hear what you guys have to say!

Christian
Ya it's just a Curado brass gear set that fits in there... I have had zero issues since switching a little over a year ago... where as the aluminum stock gears in my Metanium MGL started to get that rough feeling with barely a year of good use.

For how cheap of a conversion it is, I think it's worth doing it just cause... brass > aluminum anytime you can get away with it.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:32 pm
chreim20 wrote:

Christian
Ya it's just a Curado brass gear set that fits in there... I have had zero issues since switching a little over a year ago... where as the aluminum stock gears in my Metanium MGL started to get that rough feeling with barely a year of good use.

For how cheap of a conversion it is, I think it's worth doing it just cause... brass > aluminum anytime you can get away with it.
Good to hear. Have you fished it hard? I've done the upgrade and thinking of using it for a frog reel.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:32 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 pm
Dan B wrote:
chreim20 wrote:

Christian

Good to hear. Have you fished it hard? I've done the upgrade and thinking of using it for a frog reel.
Alot of 1/2oz chatterbait usage, some jigs/t-rigs, and I frogged with it a bit. Brass gears still like the day I bought them. 90% of the use it sees now is chatterbaits.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:32 pm
chreim20 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 pm
Dan B wrote:
chreim20 wrote:

Christian

Alot of 1/2oz chatterbait usage, some jigs/t-rigs, and I frogged with it a bit. Brass gears still like the day I bought them. 90% of the use it sees now is chatterbaits.
Awesome!Thanks for the input, I'm going to hold off and stick with the met then. I appreciate it you taking the time to respond!

Christian