Do You Use Spinning Reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do You Use Spinning Reels?

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 pm

I went fishing in the morning, and used the spinning tackle for the first time in 15yrs or so. I used two baitcasters to throw walking baits and poppers. Then, I tried the spinning for a smaller popper to see. I hated it. I even tried both right and left handed. It just didn't feel right, and took a while to get used to the spinning tackle, which was understandable.

I didn't get a topwater bite, mostly because it was very windy. So, I tried a shaky head with the spinning. The last time I used the shaky head was also 15+ yrs ago. Never used a baitcaster for the technique. That's probably why the spinning tackle felt right. In the first 10 casts, I got 5 bites and caught 4 of them. No bite for 30min, then caught 2 more in 10min. That wasn't bad at all. :D As I mentioned, this year, I couldn't catch many fish after the topwater bites die, so this was something.

I'll keep bringing the spinning tackle, unless the fishing gets better. The braided line worked really well. At least, it got rid of one of the main reasons why I didn't like spinning reels, the curly line, which was a pain in the butt to deal with. I put the 40lbs braid, because that's the thinnest braid I had. I'll probably buy a 20 or a 30lbs. I'm hoping to increase the casting distance.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:21 pm

MK49 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 pm
I went fishing in the morning, and used the spinning tackle for the first time in 15yrs or so. I used two baitcasters to throw walking baits and poppers. Then, I tried the spinning for a smaller popper to see. I hated it. I even tried both right and left handed. It just didn't feel right, and took a while to get used to the spinning tackle, which was understandable.

I didn't get a topwater bite, mostly because it was very windy. So, I tried a shaky head with the spinning. The last time I used the shaky head was also 15+ yrs ago. Never used a baitcaster for the technique. That's probably why the spinning tackle felt right. In the first 10 casts, I got 5 bites and caught 4 of them. No bite for 30min, then caught 2 more in 10min. That wasn't bad at all. :D As I mentioned, this year, I couldn't catch many fish after the topwater bites die, so this was something.

I'll keep bringing the spinning tackle, unless the fishing gets better. The braided line worked really well. At least, it got rid of one of the main reasons why I didn't like spinning reels, the curly line, which was a pain in the butt to deal with. I put the 40lbs braid, because that's the thinnest braid I had. I'll probably buy a 20 or a 30lbs. I'm hoping to increase the casting distance.

Try 10-20 lb braid and go by the diameter you like.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:23 pm

I've loved spinning tackle since I was 5 and I always will :lol: I still have my first mail order Bass Pro Daiwa UL7 spinning reel that i used to toss SR5's and catch smallmouth like crazy 30+years ago. My little ones (and I) still use it in the ponds!

Sure, I really enjoy the advances in BFS rod/reel/line technology, but there won't ever be a substitute for something like the Steez AGS 76MML and a Certate LT 3000CXH (on my "The One" for example. I've fished some amazing BFS combos, but none compare to the pure distance I can get with that combo, or something similar, with some now practically impossible to get YGK SS112 10# sinking braid. I love the Vision 110+2 in cold, deep, clear water. The depth and control I can get with this combo has been unmatched in my experience.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:23 pm
I've loved spinning tackle since I was 5 and I always will :lol: I still have my first mail order Bass Pro Daiwa UL7 spinning reel that i used to toss SR5's and catch smallmouth like crazy 30+years ago. My little ones (and I) still use it in the ponds!

Sure, I really enjoy the advances in BFS rod/reel/line technology, but there won't ever be a substitute for something like the Steez AGS 76MML and a Certate LT 3000CXH (on my "The One" for example. I've fished some amazing BFS combos, but none compare to the pure distance I can get with that combo, or something similar, with some now practically impossible to get YGK SS112 10# sinking braid. I love the Vision 110+2 in cold, deep, clear water. The depth and control I can get with this combo has been unmatched in my experience.
Interesting. I still have my first baitcaster. It was the first low profile baitcaster from Daiwa, 40+ years ago. I was 10yrs old, when I bought it. I own 20+ baitcasters, including 6 or 7 Steez, but only 2 spinning reels. :lol: I really wonder if newer spinning reels are better than my 20yrs old Daiwa spinning reel. If I keep using the spinning tackle, I would probably update the reel, although I'm not really sure how much better the new ones are. I might update the spinning rod, because it's also 20yrs old.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:21 pm
The thinnest braid I've used is 40lbs. Does the thinner braid still work well with the FG knot? The lakes I normally fish are not very clear, 2 to 4'. I don't even think a leader is necessary, but if I hang up without a leader, it would be hard to break the braided line. That's my main reason to use a leader.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:49 pm

MK49 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 pm
dragon1 wrote:
The thinnest braid I've used is 40lbs. Does the thinner braid still work well with the FG knot? The lakes I normally fish are not very clear, 2 to 4'. I don't even think a leader is necessary, but if I hang up without a leader, it would be hard to break the braided line. That's my main reason to use a leader.
FG knot would still be fine, although my preference is to tie a Lazy Alberto/Shin Fukae connection knot with thinner braid to lighter leaders, especially for spinning.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:51 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Agreed 💯, I need to get my 2013 Certate 2510R-PE serviced so it can get paired up to my Shimano Hard Rocker 8'3" MH...that rod tosses 3/4-1 oz metal a Stoopid long ways with 15-20 lb braid.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:01 pm

Love my spinning as much as my baitcasters.

I also fly fish LOL

Just picked up a NRX+ 788 SF for streamer fishing...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:35 am

My most used reel, that has by far caught the most fish is an old Stradic Ci4+FA 2500. I use it with 6lb braid and switch now between 2 different, light powered rods. I always get bored bass fishing and start throwing that setup because bream/little panfish are so much easier to catch in our river. I also run two other Stradics on ML rods, but I have ML baitcasting rods I prefer. Mainly because I run straight fluorocarbon on the 2 casting setups and it makes retying dropshots and other lures much easier. I ONLY run braid on spinning reels now and sometimes it can be a pain to have to retie a leader on the boat. It isn't impossible, and I still do it, but it is just so much faster and easier with the casting reels. Initially, I ran straight 7lb FC Sniper on a Stradic when I began fishing seriously about 8 years ago. Actually caught one of my PBs with it. Eventually line management issues and the addition of a finesse casting setup made me switch to braid only on spinning.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:47 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:49 pm
FG knot would still be fine, although my preference is to tie a Lazy Alberto/Shin Fukae connection knot with thinner braid to lighter leaders, especially for spinning.
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:24 pm

MK49 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:47 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:49 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
The lazy Alberto/Shin Fukae knot tends to not burn through thinner leaders like an FG will when tightening down. Regardless, thin braid will always cut through thin leaders when under enough load.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGp4zpCzizA

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:21 pm

MK49 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 pm
dragon1 wrote:
just use the surgeons knot.
1-2%

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:34 pm

Not until I absolutely have to. I do use a 2500 size reel at the beach, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:25 pm

this place tends to draw folks with high end tackle (duh).

lots of folks don't use their spinning gear.

if anyone has a Stella that isn't getting adequate use, msg me. Let's make a deal.
1-2%

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 pm

MK49 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:13 pm
I really wonder if newer spinning reels are better than my 20yrs old Daiwa spinning reel.
They are - Certate, Exist, TP, Stella - pick your poison. Get yourself some YGK x8 Upgrade in 22lb and don't look back.