Reel Foot Scratches + Saltwater

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel Foot Scratches + Saltwater

Post by reason162 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:44 pm

My Exist/Airity both have scratches/chips on the reel foot where it's inserted into the reel seat. They stay in freshwater so I'm not too concerned.

My Stella and Vanquish...both magnesium reels, are fished in saltwater. So far no paint scratches, but if that were to happen on a magnesium frame - bad news, yes? I've tried the heat shrink tubing trick and they just get chewed up, so not sure how much protection I'm getting.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel Foot Scratches + Saltwater

Post by SSS » Sun May 28, 2023 10:01 pm

I use thick tape for reel foot. Use it until you begin seeing it shreading, and then replace.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 29, 2023 8:49 pm

^^^I do this as well^^^
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:31 am

The Stella should have a clear plastic decal in the box that is made to wrap around the foot to prevent damage to the finish. Modern reel seats are plastic or composite materials that should not damage the finish, but just in case you can use the clear decal to provide extra protection.

If you do end up getting chips or damage you can simply use some clear nail polish to coat over it. That will also prevent any corrosion from starting.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:16 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:31 am
The Stella should have a clear plastic decal in the box that is made to wrap around the foot to prevent damage to the finish. Modern reel seats are plastic or composite materials that should not damage the finish, but just in case you can use the clear decal to provide extra protection.

If you do end up getting chips or damage you can simply use some clear nail polish to coat over it. That will also prevent any corrosion from starting.
I will look for the clear decal, thanks Bantam! So far the Stella and Vanquish paint has held up perfectly, even without any protection. Shimano knows how to finish a reel lol

sorendalager
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sorendalager » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:04 am

In concordance I have noticed chipping on the reel feet of all my Daiwa and ABU baitcasters, but not on my Shimano reels, so I think Shimano are doing something better in that regard…

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:04 am

I use shrink tubes for reel foot protection, similar like this Youtuber:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:53 am

I like the nail polish idea for SW, I literally use Sally's clear for all my hard baits, and to protect the painted heads of all my lures, especially after touching them up with nail polish and then the hard clear.

I also use it to reinforce cracked/worn epoxy on the guides of my rods.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."