Okuma Spinning reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Okuma Spinning reels?

Post by Bassboss » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 am

Hey y'all, snapper here, changed the user name.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Okuma spinning reels. I've been hearing some good stuff about them, and I'm wanting to upgrade my exceller if a clean and re-lube doesn't doesn't smooth stuff out. I'm participially looking at the Trio, and Inspira. But I'm more leaning to the Inspira due to all metal construction. But any info on the over all quality of Okuma reels will be much appreciated.

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Okuma Spinning reels?

Post by Basswrangler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 am

I was just at an expo with an Okuma booth, so I got a chance to check out their full line up for this year. Honestly, all the spinning reels felt rough compared to shimano's in the same price range. I haven't tried any of the reels yet so I hate to post bad things about em, but they just didn't feel as refined compared to daiwa or shimano. The casting reels on the other hand all felt great and I'll probably pick up a low-pro and round reel soon. The round reels are especially smooth and seem to be built very well.

Like I said I haven't used there spinning reels yet and I suppose it's possible that they might smooth out a little with some use.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 am

not sure about the sinning reels but I bought a Citrix as a cheap cranking setup to take to the rivers and I can hear the bearings....I'll have to take it to my buddy to relube the entire reel and see what happens. I mean the 7.3:1 ratio is great for price point but at that price point I would expect better bearings and not some off brand reel bearing. :strface:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I have a friend that owns several that I've fished with often, varying models and sizes, fishing for anything from crappie to stripers. IMO line twist seems to be a little more of an issue compared to the 'major' brands, although to be fair I have no idea how old or what quality the line on the reels is. Maybe not quite as smooth as a Stradic or something but I would not describe them as "rough". These reels are put through a LOT since he guides year round and the Okumas seem to hold up very well. So well in fact these are pretty much the only brand of spinning reels he uses.

I wouldn't be afraid to purchase any of their reels. If it feels good in store then buy it, use the crap out of it and write a review on TT ;)