Revo SX vs. STX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fluky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Revo SX vs. STX

Post by Fluky » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Anyone have thoughts on whether the STX is really any better than the SX? I'm talking about the new ones here (2010). Main difference seems to be the combo magnetic/centrifugal brakes on the STX vs. just magnetic on the SX. And then some kind of "Everslik" coating on the STX pinion shaft, whatever the heck that means. Sounds like marketing speak to me. I know the older SX models were kinda hard to cast for some people, but the brakes on the newer models were supposed to be beefed up some. There was a report here about that a while back. I've also heard some people actually prefer the SX. And I also really like the black and red :D

Basically, I'm just trying to decide if it's a mistake not to pony up a little more for the STX. Premier is out of my range, I'm afraid.

Want to use this for pitching esp. Will also see some inshore use.

Of course, I could just go green, but I have an older curado (which has been great) and am looking to try something else out. I like the increased drag on the Revos, too.

thx all...

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Revo SX vs. STX

Post by Redfish » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I have an SX and a STX and love them both, but IMO the STX is much smoother and seems more "refined" than the SX. If you are set on the black and red, there are always painters who will paint it any color you want!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Redfish wrote:I have an SX and a STX and love them both, but IMO the STX is much smoother and seems more "refined" than the SX. If you are set on the black and red, there are always painters who will paint it any color you want!
I agree, the STX is a much better reel.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:55 pm

It's not just the DBS that makes the STX worth the extra money. It's also got the Infini II spool, which has a split shaft at the pinion gear. That allows for more distance on the cast since you're not having to spin the entire spool shaft.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 am

I looked at a 2010 SX(one with the swept handle)other day and I belive it now has the split spool shaft as well if I remember correctly........I think the biggest differece now is the titanium nitride coated spool and worm gear, and the dual braking, which for $20-$30 more is a no brainer to me.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am

You are right! I just checked my current generation one and it does indeed have the split shaft. I'd cleaned it too, but had not paid it much attention as I'm into my reels all the time cleaning and lubing them. Kind of all run together, I guess. I was just going off what is on Abu's website, and they don't list the SX as having the Infini II spool.

Fluky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fluky » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, all. Good to know the SX does have the upgraded spool, but sounds like the DBS alone might be worth the price of admission. Never used one of those before so wasn't sure if it really made much of a difference. But for $30, I guess what the heck.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:28 pm

I've been considering the same thing recently. Need a new reel and the black/red on the SX would just match my rod so well :lol: I'm not sure why silver + gold highlights is so popular in reels but I would personally love to see some more variety. I would usually never even think twice about the appearance, I just have so many silver/gold reels I really want something new.

I think if the SX were priced $20 lower I might be able to justify buying it because of the cheaper price. But there is usually <$10-20 difference between the two on ebay--I don't think I could pass up the dual braking for an extra $20 simply because I didn't like the colors.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

also, the ball bearings on the STX are stainless steel whereas on the SX, they're unspecified. btw, abu-garcia is offering a free hooded sweatshirt with purchase.

bass247
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bass247 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Fluky wrote:Main difference seems to be the combo magnetic/centrifugal brakes on the STX vs. just magnetic on the SX....

i'm almost positive that the 2010 SX have dual braking........ :-k

it's the old SX that has just the magnetic brakes.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

How many seconds could your Revo free spool rotate usually? ( Without line, without brake..)

Mine Aurora only gets 4 second.......I wonder if Abu's spool bearings are not as good as Daiwa's or Shimano's (cos I hvn't owned any Abu's reel before).

I am thinking of upgrading them into ABEC7....

smallysrule
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallysrule » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:54 am

bass247 wrote:
Fluky wrote:Main difference seems to be the combo magnetic/centrifugal brakes on the STX vs. just magnetic on the SX....

it's the old SX that has just the magnetic brakes.

A dual brake has a centrifugal brake inside the cover. What you are show in the second picture is actually a spool tension control knob.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 am

kakaryan wrote:How many seconds could your Revo free spool rotate usually? ( Without line, without brake..)

Mine Aurora only gets 4 second.......I wonder if Abu's spool bearings are not as good as Daiwa's or Shimano's (cos I hvn't owned any Abu's reel before).

I am thinking of upgrading them into ABEC7....
I have the old stx and it was an awesome caster with stock bearings but when I changed to orange seals it was great. Now I get atleast an 8 s free spool

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 am

smallysrule wrote:
bass247 wrote:

A dual brake has a centrifugal brake inside the cover. What you are show in the second picture is actually a spool tension control knob.
Correct. The SX 100% for sure does not have dual brakes, older version or the current version.