Inexpensive Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Inexpensive Cranking Reel

Post by finfinder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 am

Another vote for the PQ. I've got three of them now. I'm on my third season with them and I don't have a single complaint. They are $79 on sale without the $15 reel trade in. For $64.99.... nothing comes close. It's a generic Revo. Since it's a BPS reel, they even allow you to try it out for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can return it. I don't know about other BPS reels but this one is a keeper. I know it seems too inexpensive to be any good but every now and then a good deal comes along.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 am

Lew's Speed Spool SS1S 5.:41 $89.99 from Tackle warehouse.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Spe ... e-LSP.html

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 am

njbasscat wrote:I would consider a used reel. If it's a crazy cranker or winch you want, look at the for sale section here as well as ebay. Some great deals can be had.
I've been watching the for sale section of this and many forums as well as eBay. Could it be that the Zillion CC is just so good that no one wants to sell theirs?! :lol:
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 am

finfinder wrote:Another vote for the PQ. I've got three of them now. I'm on my third season with them and I don't have a single complaint. They are $79 on sale without the $15 reel trade in. For $64.99.... nothing comes close. It's a generic Revo. Since it's a BPS reel, they even allow you to try it out for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can return it. I don't know about other BPS reels but this one is a keeper. I know it seems too inexpensive to be any good but every now and then a good deal comes along.
Thanks for the input!

I've got a PQ from a friend in the mail. Price is really an issue for me right now, so it worked out good. I'm sure I'll like the reel, most everyone I've talked to has been pleased with them for the price.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 am

Good choice. Remember to open the non handle side of the reel and set the centrifugal brake. The last PQ I bought came with four of the six pins engaged (out). It wouldn't cast very far set that way. I like either two or three of the brakes engaged.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

IMHO the Lews reel posted above is the best cranking reel going right now for less than $100. 10 bearings, an aluminum frame, and mag braking for less than $100. Weight and dimensions are really similar to Zillion too, if you like the feel of the Zillion.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

You may well be correct about the new Lews reels but for now they have no durability history and few reviews.
I'm sure they will earn their rightful place in the coming months ( good or bad).

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:01 am

The Lew's reels are ones I will be keeping an eye on throughout this year. I'm waiting for some personal reviews, and possibly a TT Review before I decide whether to buy one or not. They don't look bad, although they look very similar to the Revos/BPS reels.

For now, the Pro Qualifier was the most economical for me and it has a proven record of good performance for the price and durability.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 am

PQ in 4.7:1 will pull any hard pulling baits with ease, and it has Brass Gears. PQ all the way.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

Regulator
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Regulator » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 am

You can find a lot of 5.2:1 Pflueger Trions on Ebay for less than $75. It's the deep cranking reel that Tim Horton uses.

BigBait Intervention
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BigBait Intervention » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 pm

NCbigbass wrote:IMHO the Lews reel posted above is the best cranking reel going right now for less than $100. 10 bearings, an aluminum frame, and mag braking for less than $100. Weight and dimensions are really similar to Zillion too, if you like the feel of the Zillion.
I also agree they're great reels for the money!

They feel very similar to a Zillion in hand and what a sweet price for a cracking reel.

BBI

:D

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Heavy Action wrote:Save your money for the crazy cranker. If not you will end up owning the PQ and maybe another reel or two and still wish you had the CC. Never settle on tackle "needs". I promise you it's more expensive in the end if you short cut yourself from what you truly want.
You got that right. I'm still learning some lessons there. Nothing worse than a bunch of mid to low end stuff sittin around. :doh:

I'm getting better at it though. I picked up a Zillion 100PA when GNDRMTN cleared it out for $195. Best deal I ever got on a reel since Ginrinpeche.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 am

I have a Shimano Corsair, 4.7:1 round reel that is in excellent condition, I used to use it for buzzbaits after I found that I could crawl the bait across the top but it was originally my cranking reel but now it sits in a box covered up but it still look like new, I just don't have any use for it now.
Barlow's Tackle