Inexpensive Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Inexpensive Cranking Reel

Post by BB144 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

I had originally wanted to put a Zillion 4.9:1 CC on my 765CB Glass, but won't be able to afford one... :evil:

My second choice was a Revo Winch, yet I don't want to spend that much without getting the reel I really wanted... So it looks like my budget is going to win this round as I'm in search of opinions on inexpensive CB reels.

The main two I'm considering are BPS Pro Qualifier and the Daiwa Exceler. I am a fan of Daiwa reels, but feel their lower end reels need some work. I've heard a lot of great things about the PQs and just wanted some more input. I know both both of the inexpensive reels should be able to throw the 3/8-3/4oz cranks I'll be using it for just fine, but how to they compare in other areas like smoothness, durability, etc.

Thanks!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Inexpensive Cranking Reel

Post by robertrinaustin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 pm

The BPS PQ is a nice reel and is currently on sale and they've got the reel trade in to bring it down another $15. Another option that is a little more $ is the KVD PT. It's currently on sale for $139 and you get the trade in discount on top of that. It's lighter than the PQ and so far I've been very happy with mine after 6 months of fishing. I picked up another on the Spring Sale. I don't have any long term experience with the PT, but so far so good. The PQ has been a work horse for me. I've got one that is probably 10 years old now and it's still working great. My only complaint is I wish it was lighter. It's a long day throwing DD22s with that reel on an 8' rod.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Vote #2 for the BPS PQ.

Or just save a while for the CC. You'll thank yourself later. ;)

Heavy Action
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Action » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Save your money for the crazy cranker. If not you will end up owning the PQ and maybe another reel or two and still wish you had the CC. Never settle on tackle "needs". I promise you it's more expensive in the end if you short cut yourself from what you truly want.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm

All depends on what you call inexpensive.
You can pick up a curado 200E5 on flebay for $145 tyd..American bass outlet has them for that price also. ;)

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks for the replies!

robertrinaustin, Thanks for the info on the PQ! I'm not a big quantum fan and won't waste my money until they prove they can build a reel that'll last though!

Tokugawa and Heavy Action, I know I should save up for the one I really want (and I usually do!), But we've got a trip planned to AL this spring and there's just so much I need: 3-4 spools of line, the crankbait reel, half a dozen rod covers (as I'll be fishing out of someone else's boat and carrying my gear back to my room each night), not to mention lures and terminal tackle and a spinning rod for my new Certate 2000 (which I wasn't really even planning on buying this early, I just couldn't help it, lol). I'll be working this summer and then I can save for the CC I really want.

Thanks for the recommendation on the PQ too!

JohnD, I'm not a big fan of the Curados, I find them very uncomfortable to palm. For around that price, I would've went with the Revo Winch, but I still don't quite have the money to spend almost $150 right now. Thanks for the recommendation though!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 am

Youu should be able to get a PQ for around $75 if you take a trade in with you.. Otherwise, I'd look at the Citica E in that price range.. Just a few dollars more, but you'll get a really good reel that should last you a long time...
Pmedicbm

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 am

Daiwa Exceler Crankbait Casting Reel. $80
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 am

What about a Shimano Citica E?

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 am

If you want to stay in that price range I don't think you can beat the Pro Qualifier. I have several BPS reels and haven't had any issues out of any yet (going on 2 years). I've heard some people voice concerns about parts availability for the BPS reels, but since the PQ shares so many parts with the Revo reels I doubt it would be an issue.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 am

I have my cheapo Shakespeare reel...just for cheapo fishing.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 am

Vote #3 for the BPS PQ.

aznevolution8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aznevolution8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am

How well do the Citica E's perform? I'm debating on getting one for jerkbait and topwater and cranking. Can I just use a 7.0:1 speed reel for these applications and just reel a little bit slower for the cranking???

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 pm

breezy wrote:If you want to stay in that price range I don't think you can beat the Pro Qualifier. I have several BPS reels and haven't had any issues out of any yet (going on 2 years). I've heard some people voice concerns about parts availability for the BPS reels, but since the PQ shares so many parts with the Revo reels I doubt it would be an issue.
tracker01 wrote:Vote #3 for the BPS PQ.
Thanks for the input! Breezy, I'm not too concerned over parts availability, but I do believe you are correct that many of the parts are interchangeable between the BPS, AG, and Pflueger reels.
robchik04 wrote:What about a Shimano Citica E?
Pmedicbm wrote:Youu should be able to get a PQ for around $75 if you take a trade in with you.. Otherwise, I'd look at the Citica E in that price range.. Just a few dollars more, but you'll get a really good reel that should last you a long time...
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would have looked at the Curado, except I find them horribly uncomfortable (I know I'm in the minority on this one), and that goes for the Citica as well. I just can't explain it, but I can't find a comfortable position for my hand when palming. :?: Also, the Citica is a 6:1 reel and I was looking for a high powered reel for med-deep cranking; something with a lower gear ration and a little more torque.
aznevolution8 wrote:How well do the Citica E's perform? I'm debating on getting one for jerkbait and topwater and cranking. Can I just use a 7.0:1 speed reel for these applications and just reel a little bit slower for the cranking???
I do have to say the Citica is a nice performing reel for the price (I do have one). But I definitely wouldn't fish deep cranks with it, and especially not a 7:1 reel. Big, deep divers like DD22s or LJ DDs will wear you out on a higher speed reel. The Citica should be fine for cranking shallow cranks like square bills and such though.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:47 am

I would consider a used reel. If it's a crazy cranker or winch you want, look at the for sale section here as well as ebay. Some great deals can be had.