Pluton vs Calcutta 250 TE DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pluton vs Calcutta 250 TE DC

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Any opinions anyone that has own or fished both of these?
JDM Only Please

http://youtu.be/KvXJfrf4XgA

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pluton vs Calcutta 250 TE DC

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

When the Pluton came out, I got one from Japan, and my first thoughts WOW it is heavy, so I spool #65 braid and I could only get maybe 60 - 70yds on it ??? well no big deal, so I went to the river to cast it and this reel does not cast well, compaired to my 250DC reels, so I went home and cleaned out all the factory oil and grease and reoil and greased with Hot Sauce, then back to the river and the same, and after 2-3 hours of casting this reel, it made my arm sore, that reel is a boat anchor. Yes it is built like a tank, but no line cap. and 12.7oz :doh: :doh: I sold it ASAP.
I have 3 - 250DC reels I use for Pike in Canada every year and I love them. I do add a anti-rev pawl to them and replace the stock drag washers with CARBONTEX washers from SMOOTH DRAGS, also replace the stock 85mm handle with a 90mm C/F handle from Bassart, my 250 reels now are about 9.8oz and will out cast any reel that I have every had. I love when my DC reels sing to me in the day of casting them, if I'm casting with the wind, I can spool my reel of 75yds of 65lb braid with my 7'11" rods casting 1oz baits. 250DC reels Rule !!!!!
Last edited by RWSCHMITZ on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Pluton vs Calcutta 250 TE DC

Post by db220 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 am

I"ve never fished a Pluton, but I love my Calcutta 201DC. If they made a faster version I'd replace all my low profile reels with one.