Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by Edward78 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 am

dorset darren wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:01 pm
Daiwa all the way
I'm with you, I want to like Shimano better and used to but I find myself owning and using Daiwa's way more.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I only got back into fishing in February or so, at least that's when I started doing lots and lots of research. In my reading and watch (of videos) I saw a lot stuff about Shimano, some about Daiwa. I liked what I saw from Shimano - an understated, professional look to most of their reels. Mostly neutral tones like black and gray with very few accents. With the SLX line it seems they are trying to snazz things up a bit, maybe for a younger crowd, but I much prefer the understated look of, say, the Chronarch MGL, Bantam MGL, Curado 70, etc... That being said, if I ignore the blue tension knob and the blue SLX logo on my SLX, I really like the soft touch black look. I know it's a cheap reel and it looks semi cheap since it's not metal, but it also doesn't look like cheap shiny plastic. And that's what bothers me about Daiwa reels, even the expensive ones ($300-500). They just look cheap! Heck, the Zillion SV TW, a reel a few folks have recommended to me, for $300, has multiple colors going on, with a lot of cheap shine going on. Maybe it's just every photo I've seen, but not a single photo has made it look classy. Even the Steez looks a little cheap, but not as bad since it's mostly black with an accent. I don't mind the Steez. But, there are a few other things, like the external brake adjustment knobs on a lot of Daiwa reels that just don't look as clean to me as Shimano reels. And man, they have some really bold colors for their reels. I would never want a bright red or blue reel like the new Admira or Coastal SV. I like classy neutral blacks and grays to go with the cork on my neutrally colored rods.

So...... yeah. I'm a Shimano guy. My Bantam and SLX look and feel pretty good to me. Oh yeah and my Stradic Ci4+ is a gorgeous reel too, though the red accents are a little flashy, and I prefer the more understated look of the Stradic FK. All 3 reels perform very well and they feel good and look good. I really want to try out a mid to high end Daiwa reel, but I don't want to take the plunge myself. Not when I have this much confidence in Shimano, at least with the couple reels I have and have tried.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 am

Both are great but my preference leans slightly toward shimano.

MBB Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by MBB Nate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Daiwa, but I also like Lews. I don't have much experience with Shimano.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

At one time I was all about Shimano but Diawa impressed me years ago with the pluton. They are definitely the better bang for the buck at the moment so when i decided to upgrade gear all my freshwater spinners where replaced with various Diawa LTs. If i do the math the money i saved buying Diawa over comparable Shimanos I was able to pick up a used Tranx to the saltwater collection. I am up in the air with baitcasters i want to get a Curado DC but my curiosity with the Diawa SV reels is strong especially with this Diawa Coastal that has the potential over covering allot of fresh and saltwater applications.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 am

Seems to be pretty evenly split between Shimano and Daiwa, so I added a vote for ABU ;) I have reels that I like from a couple manufacturers - I like my Curado 70s and Aldebarran, I love (love love!) my ABU Garcia AL-F, and I'm really happy with my recent discovery of the Plueger Patriarch. (Also got a bunch of Okumas that perform admirably, but I'd never vote them as a favourite choice.)

The thing that makes we vote for ABU in the end are my spinning reels, because I feel that they're ahead in that category. I have MGX20, 30 and 2000s reels on my finesse rods, and I just like them better than anything Shimano has to offer in that regard. (Got a Stradic Ci4+ as well and it's fine. Just not great.) Maybe the Excense would change my mind, but I just can't bring myself to even consider putting a $550, 30-size reel (that's rather heavy, as well) on a finesse rod.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun May 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Daiwa...that’s it

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 pm

I was Daiwa brand loyal until I bought an Antares AR, doubt I would dip below that reel, but I do see a Calcutta DC 100 in the near future. Still love my Steez/MB varients and the ease of customization. But man..that Antares is one hell of a reel.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 am

ska4fun wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:36 pm
A query treating both Abu and Lews as Doyo would make a lot more sense. And the same for Quantum and 13F (Banax).
100s if not 1000s of different ABU reels since the 1950s notwithstanding... most of my ~30 ABU reels are made in Sweden.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:02 am

ska4fun wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:27 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 am
ska4fun wrote:
A query treating both Abu and Lews as Doyo would make a lot more sense. And the same for Quantum and 13F (Banax).
100s if not 1000s of different ABU reels since the 1950s notwithstanding... most of my ~30 ABU reels are made in Sweden.
Seeing the options makes pretty easy to notice the low-profile nature for this query.
Read through the thread and you will notice many mentions of round reels and spinning reels. Query is on “reels”, freshwater manufacturers only.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:02 am
ska4fun wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 am
ska4fun wrote:
Seeing the options makes pretty easy to notice the low-profile nature for this query.
Read through the thread and you will notice many mentions of round reels and spinning reels. Query is on “reels”, freshwater manufacturers only.
Could count how many of those brands on the query are known for their round reels?
And spinning? Where will it get us.
One brand (ABU) has been known worldwide for its in-house round reel production in almost 70 years, spinning reels in maybe 50 years (?), and has a short history of outsourced low-profile reel production...and a question on which “manufacturer is truly king on this board with regards to reels” should only have me consider the low profile segment. Funny. If anything, you and I are proving that a question has to be clearly posed - otherwise different interpretations make a poll of little use.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:53 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm
ska4fun wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:02 am
ska4fun wrote:

Could count how many of those brands on the query are known for their round reels?
And spinning? Where will it get us.
One brand (ABU) has been known worldwide for its in-house round reel production in almost 70 years, spinning reels in maybe 50 years (?), and has a short history of outsourced low-profile reel production...and a question on which “manufacturer is truly king on this board with regards to reels” should only have me consider the low profile segment. Funny. If anything, you and I are proving that a question has to be clearly posed - otherwise different interpretations make a poll of little use.
Is this the reason behind the casting reel-only brands in the query? LOL
They have all produced spinning reels...
ska4fun, you got it right. Everyone else including me who considered round reels and spinning reels got it wrong. I rest my case.

YakBassin
Angler
Angler

Post by YakBassin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:31 pm

But which Daiwa? LOL ... 4 Lines with SO MANY models...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:19 pm

YakBassin wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:31 pm
They call it streamlining their lineup. I call it disappointing. ](*,)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

YakBassin
Angler
Angler

Post by YakBassin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:25 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:19 pm
YakBassin wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:31 pm
They call it streamlining their lineup. I call it disappointing. ](*,)
Agreed. KISS...keep it simple, stupid