Steez vs core 50

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez vs core 50

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:23 am

+100

skunked wrote:
Nytron wrote:Core 50, especially if you are casting lighter stuff.

It is far less expensive than the Steez, has a better braking system, better looking
I own a Core 51 and have handled the Steez in-store and my reaction to this statement is..."WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU ON!!!??" The Steez is a beautiful reel with impeccable attention to detail and incredible fit and finish. Not quite to the level of a Conquest, but pretty close, IMO. The Core is a nice looking reel, but is basically a Mg Curado with a few added touches here and there...like putting lipstick on a pig!
Let's go fishing!!!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Speckled wrote: Buck,

You should of bought one a few years ago when they only cost $449.99 :lol: ;) . Couple of price increases and it has gone from $449.99 to $499.99 to now $539.99. Daiwa [-X ](*,) . During this same time Shimano hasn't increased the cost of the Core :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Price on the Steez is not an issue with me. :D
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I own a Core 51 and have handled the Steez in-store and my reaction to this statement is..."WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU ON!!!??" The Steez is a beautiful reel with impeccable attention to detail and incredible fit and finish. Not quite to the level of a Conquest, but pretty close, IMO. The Core is a nice looking reel, but is basically a Mg Curado with a few added touches here and there...like putting lipstick on a pig!
Actually owning some of each, my experience tells me differently. Sorry.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Attraction to certain designs and aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder...devil in the details is evident in the pudding.

Details and the Devil (creases, angles, tolerances, refinement in incremental dialings, gear meshing, drillings, knobs, handles, etc.) are much more apparent (I suppose if one were to pay attention and look for them) in the Steez overall than any other LP from Shimano (outside the world of maybe the DC Calais/DC Antares) IMO...esp. the Core/Aldebaran.

For me, I say only in the Conquest/Conquest DC/Calcutta DC line-up is there as much attention to minute detail.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 am

dragon1 wrote:For me, I say only in the Conquest/Conquest DC/Calcutta DC line-up is there as much attention to minute detail.
Couldn't agree more on that.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am

as far as looks go the STEEZ is a sick little reel but for a 170$ more then the CORE its a easy decision, i've owned both and still have my core50.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 am

dragon1 wrote:For me, I say only in the Conquest/Conquest DC/Calcutta DC line-up is there as much attention to minute detail.
I think you need to add the Calais DC7 to that line-up...without reservations.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 am

I love these threads. We spend more time talking about something but the original intent.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:01 pm

mhood wrote:I think you need to add the Calais DC7 to that line-up...without reservations.
I kinda sorta did...but I still see more intricate details in the Steez and Conquest/Conquest DC/Calcutta DC.
GARRIGA wrote:I love these threads. We spend more time talking about something but the original intent.
Yeah, that's good and bad...apologies to the OP.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

rakuin79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rakuin79 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Have never pulled the trigger on a steez but I have a Core 50 with upgraded bearings and drag and I like to think it competes well with the steez :)

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:02 am

I own more than one of both. I like the feel of the Steez better but it does also cost significantly more than the Core. The Steez does not feel as "hollow" as the Core. But, for the most part, the Core performs just as well as the Steez - in my opinion anyways.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:46 am

chasiubao73 wrote:I own more than one of both. I like the feel of the Steez better but it does also cost significantly more than the Core. The Steez does not feel as "hollow" as the Core. But, for the most part, the Core performs just as well as the Steez - in my opinion anyways.
I had the steez when it first came out and I thought it felt hollow but I never get that feeling with my core