Flippin' Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flippin' Reel

Post by rubs96 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 am

Hey y'all! I wanted/needed a new reel for flippin' so I picked up a Core 100MgFV. I also have a Curado E7 that I originally planned to leave on my flippin' stick. Should I swap it out with the Core or leave it and use the Core for something else? What else could I use the Core for? Is there a better flippin' reel?

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flippin' Reel

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't see another practical purpose for the Core 100MgFV. Instagage is made for flipping/pitching. I'm also not of the opinion that you need a flipping switch on a reel to flip/pitch with it. If you're not going to use it for flipping/pitching I'd just get rid of it.
Last edited by thelatrobe33 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:03 pm

From a performance perspective, the Core all the way. The E7 does have a higher line capacity though. Something to consider if you are using mono or FC.

As a side note, I use the Core100MgFV for punching... I like it, but my hands dont... I can't seems to grasp the reel in such a way that it feels secure and i won't accidentally hit the instagage with my thumb.
robchik.com

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I think the E7 will handle your needs

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:01 pm

instagage is for pitching...almost any reel with a stout drag that holds a small capacity of braid or larger line will work for flipping.

including either of the two you own.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt Ray » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:15 pm

IMHO the Castaic is the best flipping reel I have ever used.

basspoundermatt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basspoundermatt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Personally id use the curado and use the core for something where you would be casting. But thats me. I use a curado for flipping and love it

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 am

brokeneye wrote:instagage is for pitching...almost any reel with a stout drag that holds a small capacity of braid or larger line will work for flipping.including either of the two you own.
Yep...I personally don't see the benefit of spending too much money on a reel for true flippin' needs.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Crankbait1007
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crankbait1007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 am

dragon1 wrote:
brokeneye wrote:instagage is for pitching...almost any reel with a stout drag that holds a small capacity of braid or larger line will work for flipping.including either of the two you own.
Yep...I personally don't see the benefit of spending too much money on a reel for true flippin' needs.

2nd that if your pitching that's one thing but for flippin maybe over kill unless one reel is used for both.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:09 am

Wouldn't a reel with a locked drag and the ability to hold 20-30 feet of the heaviest line you plan on using be all that's needed? We're talking about flippin and not pitching, right? The Ardent flippin reel has no drag and super narrow spool to eliminate the need for a line winder. Too bad it's so heavy and no lefty option. Come to think of it, any 8 ft stout rod with a spool of 20 feet of 80 lb braid could be used as a flippin tool. Then again, I may be over simplifying things again. :)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 am

Crankbait1007 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

2nd that if your pitching that's one thing but for flippin maybe over kill unless one reel is used for both.
x3 for flippin' ...

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! I never thought of using it for pitching. I think I will leave the E7 on the flippin' rod and use the Core 100MgFV for pitchin' plastics specifically senkos.

Thanks a lot guys.

P.S. the tackle shop was out of castaic's or I would've picked one up!