Z200 or Pluton?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Z200 or Pluton?

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Looking for a reel to put on my new Megabass Orochi Destruction....throwing mag top waters, swimbaits, large spinnerbaits, even down to the occasional larger lipless crank.

I have decided to stick to Daiwa after my recent purchases of a Pixzilla and Alphas.

I was sold on the Pluton and I still am, but something keeps bringing me back to the Z. I think the Z makes more of an 'all around" reel for the very versatile Destruction rod. The Pluton seems more of a swimbait reel, but doesnt have an extreme amount of line capacity which kinda concerns me since I fish inshore water...However, I love round reels.

I plan on spooling whichever choice I get with 16 or 20 lb Mono. I also plan on getting the USDM Z instead of the JDM version.

As you can see I am in a tackle shopping "pickle" , and I need some thoughts to help influence my purchase. [-o<
stress-what happens between fishing trips

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Z200 or Pluton?

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Being an owner of both, I'd go with the Z. I definately wouldn't put mono on it though. Spool it up with 30 or 50lb braid and you'll stop your capacity issues.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:01 pm

aussiebasser wrote:Being an owner of both, I'd go with the Z. I definately wouldn't put mono on it though. Spool it up with 30 or 50lb braid and you'll stop your capacity issues.
Why would you choose the Z?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Just had both in the shop and go with the Z..
Lower profile and is a casting machine! 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

I have two JDM Z2020 and a Pluton 5:1. The Z is to me considerably more comfortable to fish then the Pluton. Both have the same line capacity but the Pluton does feel like a stronger reel due to its forged casing. I too bought these reels for inshore duties and for that I don't think either has the edge on the other. As stated above, don't use mono for inshore as you will probably get spooled if loaded with 20 lb. I'd go with 30 lb braid of which it holds slightly more then 300 yards and more then enough when combined with its brakes.

I had originally planned to use the Pluton to throw 8" Hudds which create a lot of resistance but after using the Z2020HL with 6.4 I've changed my mind. Works those baits just fine. I would not recommend the SH 7.2 as its too tall for any resistance baits. I'm going to use my ZH to pull large ribbit type frogs for local snakeheads and paddletails. If you wanted an all around reel that can pull off swimbait duties up to 6 or so ounces then the Z200/Z2020H 6.4 would be ideal. Enough torque for resistance baits and 28" of line pickup at full.

Also, the Z is also considerably more comfortable when working surface baits like Punkers because of its low profile and 2 oz lower weight. As for getting the US version, I don't know about that. It appears that the US version has less bearings which may be due to the handle. I'd pay the extra $50 to get an import in this case. However, if you can get it during Black Friday and can live with the lower bearing count then it should be a sweet reel to own. I would still get the JDM even with the steep discounts should the handle not be bearing supported. Somehow I think it wouldn't be as smooth.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Nitroman77 wrote:Just had both in the shop and go with the Z..
Trey,

Now that you had them both open, would you say they have identical internals? Excluding the fact one was 7.2 and the other 5.1.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Good review GARRIGA. Thats what I was looking for =D>

I agree with just about everything you mentioned above and the reason I have been leaning toward the Z is for the topwaters....it just seems much more comfortable to fish.

There is just something classy about round reels that I cant get over for some reason.

The Z isnt the prettiest reel ive ever seen...thats why I am having my doubts about buying it. IMO its pretty ugly....sure it looks somewhat futuristic and modern, but it just looks odd, awkward and bulky to me. (Yes I am aware the pluton/ryoga are even more bulky, but bulky with muscle and class :big grin: ) Plus the knobs look extremely cheap with those cheesy shiny caps on them.

Sorry, I like to play devil's advocate sometimes to get more opinions :-#

Also, off topic a bit...but isnt 30lb braid a little flimsy for swimbaits? Kinda scared the line would snap mid-cast and send my $60 lure flying into never-never land. At least the 20lb mono has some give to it...

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm

The Z is not this:

It's this:

Not the prettiest, but when you need the best for a difficult mission - you have no doubts about its ability to perform.

Get a Z... you won't be disappointed, especially with a JDM model.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
Nitroman77 wrote:Just had both in the shop and go with the Z..
Trey,

Now that you had them both open, would you say they have identical internals? Excluding the fact one was 7.2 and the other 5.1.
Pretty much..
Both are tanks!
The Z is more comfortable though..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:Being an owner of both, I'd go with the Z. I definately wouldn't put mono on it though. Spool it up with 30 or 50lb braid and you'll stop your capacity issues.
Why would you choose the Z?
Low profile means it's more comfortable in your hand. It casts better. 30lb Braid is stronger than 20lb Mono. Learn to tie a Slim Beauty knot and run a few feet of 20lb Mono leader and you won't need to worry about casting any lures off. You'll also have a much better feel of what's going on with your lure.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Good review GARRIGA. Thats what I was looking for =D>

I agree with just about everything you mentioned above and the reason I have been leaning toward the Z is for the topwaters....it just seems much more comfortable to fish.

There is just something classy about round reels that I cant get over for some reason.

The Z isnt the prettiest reel ive ever seen...thats why I am having my doubts about buying it. IMO its pretty ugly....sure it looks somewhat futuristic and modern, but it just looks odd, awkward and bulky to me. (Yes I am aware the pluton/ryoga are even more bulky, but bulky with muscle and class :big grin: ) Plus the knobs look extremely cheap with those cheesy shiny caps on them.

Sorry, I like to play devil's advocate sometimes to get more opinions :-#

Also, off topic a bit...but isnt 30lb braid a little flimsy for swimbaits? Kinda scared the line would snap mid-cast and send my $60 lure flying into never-never land. At least the 20lb mono has some give to it...
I think you're looking at the US version with the cheap looking knobs. Look for the JDM. Different handle, knobs and color. Really need to hold one to see the beauty. As Tok eluded, military grade look.

I throw swimbaits on 65 lb. Although I'm contemplating 30-50 for inshore/surf. If the braid is packed and maintained tight there should be no digging in and backlashes. Something to consider is loading it with 30 lb braid and a top shot of 65 lb equal to you longest casting distance to half. If its going to backlash its been my experience it would happen at the first 10-20 yards. Nice thing about 30/65 braid connection is the small L2L connection and the fact braid joins well to braid. You can then add a short Floro leader with an Alberto knot and have a powerful but light outfit.

It's your money but you may want to research the JDM alternative and the original Z before making a final decision. I think Brooklyn Bill had a righty H for a very attractive price. I almost forced the wrong side of my body to crank.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 pm

I run 25lb Big Game on my Z2020, and it has plenty of capacity. Now, I don't have to worry about inshore fish, so take that into account. If I cast half of the spool, it is no big deal. That might not be the case for you. The only reason you might consider the Z200 is the beefier drag.

If you are going to throw moving baits, sensitivity is not a prime consideration...at least to me. For the types of baits you listed, line selection should consider abrasion resistance, stretch, durability and castability before sensitivity...especially with baits approaching 3oz. I wouldn't throw a 3oz bait on 16lb nylon...has to be at least 20.

Aussiebasser and Garriga gave you some good line ideas. Good luck!