Daiwa Spinning Reel changes

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Spinning Reel changes

Post by wnyBob » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:57 am

Does anyone follow Daiwa’s product line. In searching around it looks like they phased out/discontinued some of their tried and true spinning reels. The Team Daiwa Advantage. And it looks like the Fuego is gone, huh? The TD Advantage was always a tad on the heavy side, but if you ever had one, they were good performers for a long time and the Fuego speaks for itself IMO. I’m an old If it Ain’t broke don’t fix it. I see the “New” icon on a bunch of reels on the Daiwa website, and the Advantage and Fuego are gone. Anyone know supposedly what replaces the TD Advantage and the Fuego? The website doesn’t give prices so you can’t see price point wise what anything is in comparison.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Spinning Reel changes

Post by RGMatt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 pm

this should give you prices, fuego is still around and you can pickup the advantage at a discount now.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Re ... DAIWA.html

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:12 pm

RGMatt wrote:this should give you prices, fuego is still around and you can pickup the advantage at a discount now.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Re ... DAIWA.html
Thanks. I have one of each. I just meant that the TD Advantage seems to be drying up at retailers and also noticed a lot of sizes of Fuego not available at some retailers. Then went to the Daiwa website and they don't even list either of them in their product line. so was wondering which of the "New" they do list were intended to replace the TD Advantage and Fuego. Thanks again

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:43 pm

The TDA is heavy but it is buttery smooth. The new Procyon has a similar price point ($150) as the Advantage.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

The ballistic has nearly identical features of the fuego but costs $100 less. Better value in my opinion

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:10 pm

If I remember correctly, the Fuego 2000 is 7 oz while the Ballistic 2000 is 7.8 oz. So actually heavier than what it replaced...

UL

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 am

Sorry for responding late but the question about discontinued Daiwa Spinning reels have been brought up multiple times. And for the record before I deliberate on the subjects, most of my information come straight from a Daiwa Srouce. The Fuego and TD Adavantage Spinning Reels have been discontinued as of October 1st, 2011 ending the 2011 fiscal year for Daiwa. We are in the first quarter of the 2012 fiscal year for many manufacturers. What you see on retailers website or in store should all be on clearance and or liquidation anywhere from 20%-50% of MSRP. But depending on some outlets you may not even get the30% off MSRP. Do a little shopping around and you should be able to make some really great purchases at huge discounts. Eventually the TDA and Fuego will no longer be available for purchase except through Ebay or specialty stores.

Now onto the new reels offered from Daiwa. One thing you have to keep in mind is, these new reels are not the direct replacements but rather reels in the direct price category - big difference. These new reels also offer some of Daiwa's latest Technology - Air Rotor, Magnetic Seal, Zaion Material etc,. At the TD-A price point as someone mentioned, is the Procyon. However, IMO, there is no new reel from Daiwa to replace or sell at the price point of the Fuego. There is, however also mentioned, the Ballistic at $100 less than the Fuego - again, the Ballistic is not the direct repleacment reel of the Fuego. And then there is the Certate which is $100 more than the Fuego. There is a gaping hole in the $300 price point that was left by the discontinuation of the Fuego. I am going to go out on a limb and say 2013 there might be a reel to take that place.

I will quckly delve into this subject and should not ellaborate more than I have to as I think most of you should already know and will understand. One of the big reason why Daiwa went this route - Zaion Carbon Composite Material, is due to the bad economy, exchange rates, cost and inflation as materials are hitting all time highs -Magnesium, Aluminum, and even metallic composites. Zaion carbon composite, on the other hand, has been researched and tested by Daiwa for quite sometime now. All these new reels have some incarnation of the Zaion carbon composite. There are two big advantages in using Zaion - cost and versatility. You can read up more about Zaion on Daiwa's Website. To be fair and to set things straight, Zaion is NOT plastic. It is CARBON COMPOSITE. Big difference between a reel made of plastic and carbon. Just like Shimano's Ci4 Carbon Composite and various other manufacturer's carbon composite. All these Carbon Composite are Strong as Magnesium but at fraction of the cost. In a market where Shimano and Daiwa are the leaders, this is the direction the big two are going and most reel manufacturing companies are following/heading. Those of you that were older, how many of you complained when Daiwa first started using Magnesium? This, I think, is the same exact scenario.

Hopefully that shines some light into the subject and question the OP had.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 am

Good post Buck2thperch. Interesting. And "those of you that are older" lol sadly those are a couple of nice reels they canned. But life and the market goes on. I have both a Fuego and a TD Advantage. I got to looking for another Advantage for a certain use is when I discovered they were drying up at the retailers. I know the Advantage packed a couple of extra ounces, but they were darn nice reels for their price point. There are still selection of Fuegos around. Then went to the Daiwa web site and saw them not listed.

Of note, along the same line of Manufactors needing to compete although they are supposed "new and improved" replacements, is it looks like Shamano phased out the Stradic Fi and also maybe the Sustain but bringing back a new generation of each. I know there are a lot of Stradic Fi lovers out there and that selection is drying up too at retailers. and the new and improved Stradic FJ is $20.00 bucks more too.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 am

I believe the TD Tierra reels are discontinued too right?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 am

Hulkster wrote:I believe the TD Tierra reels are discontinued too right?
Correct. As good as the TD-A, Tierra, and Fuego reels were, it was inevitable. It was just a matter of time just like Daiwa's TDZ baitcasters.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**