Braid Ready Spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
O26A
Angler
Angler

Braid Ready Spools

Post by O26A » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 am

I know typically you put a backing on before spooling braid. But more and more you start seeing braid ready spools. I fish with lews reels. The super duty has this spool but I've added backing, but i found as the season goes on, with break offs and and re-tying knots, I'm starting to see the backing when i'm making very long casts.

Now i'm looking at picking up the new BB1 pro which has the same spool. I'll be spooling with Sunline FX2 60lb

As anyone had issues with the line slipping? or does everyone still add backing

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid Ready Spools

Post by FrankW » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 am

Hi O26A,

The BB1 Pro has a hole in the spool where you can tie your braid or backing. Braid will slip around the spool if it is looped around the spool using an arbor knot or some other slip knot. If you want to use backing to limit the amount of braid you are using, then just add your backing and tie it into the braid hole or wrap it around the spool. Mono backing won't slip like Braid.

In the case where you are seeing the backing then just use less backing and more braid or use braid all the way. That BB1 Pro can cast a long way. But with 60 pound braid I would think you won't be making super long cast.

Frank

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:33 am

if you don't want to add backing, simply wrap the spool with some electrical tape then spool up direct.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:25 am

I usually fill my spools with all braid no backing. All my reels are Shimano's so I don't have a reel with a "braid ready" spool. I simply use one piece of arbor tape that come in every box of Power Pro and I've never had my line slip. I usually fish either 50 or 65# with my drag as tight as finger pressure can get them, no a single issue.

I know lots of guys just run their braid through one of the holes in the spool but I don't do that myself. I tie a regular arbor knot and then place the tape over the knot and begin filling the spool. Very simple, easy, and effective. I think you will be just fine filling your entire spool with braid.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 am

+1

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:40 am

I just use a small layer of plumbing teflon tape for backing.

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tomustang » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 am

1 to 2 wraps of electrical tape

vsmpowered
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vsmpowered » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am

x2 on arbor knot never braid never slipped or through holes

boris317
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by boris317 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 am

So can we also consider any spool that is ported to be "braid ready"?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm

boris317 wrote:So can we also consider any spool that is ported to be "braid ready"?
Not necessarily. Sometimes the inner edges of the port holes are very sharp and will cut your braid pretty easily.

I'm surprised that most spools don't have a small tiedown for the line.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I keep some double-stick tape on hand and wrap the spool with that for traction. I'll spool with just braid the first time, then when the line gets short, I top off with backing and spool onto another reel that needs line, or reverse the line on the same reel. There's nothing better IMO than totally broken-in braid. I have only on rare occasions discarded braid because it was "worn out."

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:31 pm

On the other hand, with a whiffle spool I'll tie into one of the holes. I'm not worried about sharp edges because I'll never get down to that knot (again). It happened once to me with an arbor knot and indeed the line popped at that knot.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 am

O26A wrote:Now i'm looking at picking up the new BB1 pro which has the same spool. I'll be spooling with Sunline FX2 60lb

As anyone had issues with the line slipping? or does everyone still add backing
if you tie the braid through the little hole in the spindle of the BB1 pro, there's zero chance for slippage. that's what i do on my BB1 pro. on my other reels without the little braid tie down, i either thread the braid through the spool holes if there are any or, if not, tie about 6-feet of mono at the end to avoid slipping. as you can tell, i like spooling on as much braid as possible...i think, in the long run, i actually save money that way. as the full-length of line gets shorter and shorter in the course of normal fishing from cutting and tying repeatedly, you can always increase the amount of mono around the spindle to maintain a full spool. if you used lots of backing and only put on, say, only 60 yards of braid, when that gets down to less than 40 yards, you'd probably end up throwing that entire section away (at least i would because i don't like main line-to-main line connection knots).

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 am

boris317 wrote:So can we also consider any spool that is ported to be "braid ready"?
i had always taken "braid ready" to also imply that the spool itself was stronger and less-resistant to bending and warping due to the incredible amount of stress braid can put on spool.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:21 pm

21farms wrote: i had always taken "braid ready" to also imply that the spool itself was stronger and less-resistant to bending and warping due to the incredible amount of stress braid can put on spool.
X2