Pfleuger Patriarch vs Lew Tourney Pro

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
O26A
Angler
Angler

Pfleuger Patriarch vs Lew Tourney Pro

Post by O26A » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 am

Hey Guys,

Both these reels seem pretty nice and are in the same price range. Lews seems to have quite a good reputation, but I can't find much on the the Pfleuger. Has anyone used the the new Pfleuger Patriarch's? And which one would you guys go with?

Oh ya it's going on a dobyns 736 champion

Thanks

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pfleuger Patriarch vs Lew Tourney Pro

Post by Chode » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:56 am

O26A wrote:Hey Guys,

Both these reels seem pretty nice and are in the same price range. Lews seems to have quite a good reputation, but I can't find much on the the Pfleuger. Has anyone used the the new Pfleuger Patriarch's? And which one would you guys go with?

Oh ya it's going on a dobyns 736 champion

Thanks
u can't find anything on the pfleuger cause nobody wants to buy them :lol: ...I have the tp and bb1pro and love them both. maybe a slight nod to the bb1pro cause of their new braking system...sold all my curado/chronarch e's to get em if that means anything

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 am

Out of those two, I would grab the TP just because you can actually find information on them.

The older Pfluegers were nice to fish with, but there is literally nothing out there on the new ones. If I was spending $200.00 on a reel, I would want to know what to expect.

rakuin79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rakuin79 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 am

I own the new patriarch and the only people that say nobody wants them are people who have never fished them.

First off it is drop dead gorgeous and would look great on a champion rod.

Second it is as well built. Very smooth and sold feeling but very light as well. It feels more sold than many other reels the same weight.

I have absolutely loved fishing this reel and would recommend it to anyone and I own many high end reels from Daiwa and Shimano. If this is more in your price range than those brands I would go that way. Plus you would have a sexy reel that not many other fisherman you will see on the water have

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

One more vote for the Tourney Pro. Love mine. And my BB1's.

I haven't tried the Pfleuger.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Pflueger has some solid products. I was playing with the new baitcast reels and one thing I did not like was their version of the Shimano style side plate. The attachment seemed very weak, loose, and flimsy.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 pm

i'm thinking they're probably not worlds apart.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:42 pm

I have had the new blue pfleuger for quite sometime now. IMO, It is a Revo STX Gen3 with more bling(carbon fibre handle..etc,.)...with a touch of the reov MGX. One thing about the patriarch i noticed right away was the gear box vs the revo gen3 line of reels. ABU did away with this low sitting gearbox. Reason why and i think is because of the complaints and issues alot of thier customers including prostaffers had. Alot of people were getting sore fingers and aches in thier palming hand due to the way they have to palm and hold the reels differently after many hours of fishing with the low gearbox. Purefishing took this seriously from what i heard. Ramifications? Dunno at this point but i am simply stating and speculating why this patriarch did not have the low gearbox. It could also be Purefishing wants to differentiate ABU reels from Pfleugers. But c'mon, we all know they were built in the same factory witht the same parts. So if u own or have fished a Revo Gen3 STX, this reel is almost identical in performance, esthetics, and internals. Dont get me wrong there are differences in looks but thats about it.

I will post pictures comparing a Revo STX and the Patriarch side by side.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:17 am

I would assume they would be equal in performance since they are probably made in the same factory and have pretty much the same features. I own a Tournament Pro and a Pflueger Supreme XT which is similar to the Patriarch but doesn't have dual braking, just centrifugal. It is an awesome reel and the Patriarch must be even better! I think either one would be a great choice, but all else being equal, I would go with the Patriarch because it is freakishly awesome looking and you would also have a unique reel, not a common one that people see every day.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 am

I actually have the patriarch xt(blue model $249) & 5 lews tp,I like them equal.your right its not many reviews on the new model,but there has never been a pflueger I didn't like,only had the high end models.I'm probably going to sell a lews tp jus to get the new patriarch model.of all the recent reels at the $200 price point(tatula type r,curado I,13 fishin concept a,lews bb1 pro),I'd be more than happy with the patriarch.not 2 mention its 6.3,smaller than the other reels

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 am

I don't own (or ever fished) the new Patriarch, but I do own a TP and the Patriarch XT. Both are very nice reels, but I think the XT is a better looking reel. It has a tough finish. I like rhe reel a lot. Personally I think Pflueger is the Rodney Dangerfield of reels. It gets no respect. :mrgreen: But deserves more than a little. Even my lowly Trions cast great and are plenty smooth enough for me. However, (like Rodney) they don't win any prizes in the looks department. Nor are they the lightest reels out there. But then neither are my Zillions, and I love those babies. :laugh1: