Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:55 pm

I still think it's the original Steez SV TW, 1016 or 1012. It can handle lighter weights than the new Zillion, though might not anything much above three quarters. The 1012 version can cast down to 1/8 oz better than many bfs offerings imo. Toss in the Zpi Nrc001-m and things get even better. The T3 performs the same with the above mentioned spools, plus it the 3D braking, potentially making it even more versatile. If it wasn't made of plastic, it could possibly be the Daiwa casting reel ever. The addition of these boost spools can make casting a bit more fickle, and from my experience they don't jive with the lighter stuff as well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 am

For me, and my preferred techs...it's a 2019 Morethan PE SV, stock spool for braid and 3/8+ and any of the other 34 mm iterations for my other intended purposes.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am

I think the short answer here is anything that utilizes a 34mm spool. Pick your platform and form factor and have at it. Plenty of BFS and mag finesse spools, tame spools for wind or target casting, max distance spools etc. Plus you have all the fun colored SV and ZPI spools. These 34 mm spools can do it all except the extreme heavy swimbait and super low BFS apps

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
I think the short answer here is anything that utilizes a 34mm spool. Pick your platform and form factor and have at it. Plenty of BFS and mag finesse spools, tame spools for wind or target casting, max distance spools etc. Plus you have all the fun colored SV and ZPI spools. These 34 mm spools can do it all except the extreme heavy swimbait and super low BFS apps
Easy to agree. But all people don't want to change spools. So what's the best all round 34 mm spool? :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:49 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:

Easy to agree. But all people don't want to change spools. So what's the best all round 34 mm spool? :D
Stock? I vote Type R+, but still needs to be in a correct reel. My OG Steez 103 Type R+ spool is fabulous in my 19 Morethan PE SV 7.1...however this same spool in the OG Steez 103 as factory built by Daiwa, can be a hellion, or a beast (in a good way) if you only cast aerodynamic lures like a 1/2 lipless all day.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Yeppers...I can agree with this. Not many all-purpose spools I like better than the Daiwa 34. For specialized heavier lures and thicker lines, the 36 comes into play and of course the 38 Z2020/Z200/Ryoga 2020/Pluton 200 for even more muscle and line capacity along with crazy casting distances.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
There isn't one. Depends on which platform, the braking profile, and the spool inductor size.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:04 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Nail on the head buddy 👌

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:50 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:04 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Nail on the head buddy 👌
I agree. I love all my Shimano and ABU reels, and my non-34mm Daiwas. But if was to start over with all my tackle collection, I might just stick to a variety of 34mm Daiwa reels and some aftermarket spools...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:52 am

Oh, and some 36mm Daiwas with aftermarket spools for the bigger fish in rough waters.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:16 pm

Best all around spool I have used has been the Tatula Elite Long Cast spool in my Fuego CT. Plenty of capacity but still a light spool. I can bomb a frog or skip a senko. A lazy low energy cast will get me 90% the distance of a power cast making it one of the more "effortless" spools I have used. It gives little compared to my distance spools yet still skips with SV like ease. I would own a few if they came in short shaft versions for normal 34mm platforms. The weird thing is that it's just a normal Tatula spool but with a thinner spool aluminum to bring rhe weight down. Inductor and spring are identical to my other stock Tatula spools. This spools should be in all the Tatula 100s.