Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:38 am

Markanthony404 wrote:Has anyone used the Daiwa t3 1016? This website gave it a great review but I'd like to hear some owner opinions. A local shop is selling them for $200 off. The gear ratio is a little higher than I'm used to but It's a great deal and I could afford to buy at least one extra. I'm also looking at possible buying 1 zillion crazy cranker.
The T3 1016 is a fantastic casting reel but isn't particularly durable and can feel a little underpowered with large baits. For jigs, worms, and spinners it is a great choice.

The crazy cranker is a workhorse and excels with mid to large crankbaits.

DaveJ

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
The T3 1016 is a fantastic casting reel but isn't particularly durable and can feel a little underpowered with large baits. For jigs, worms, and spinners it is a great choice.

DaveJ
Why would you say they are not durable? Any big problems?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
The Zaion isnt as strong as aluminum or magnesium. Reports of feet breaking off, the hood breaking, and the little tabs that hold the bar that pushes the line down in the T can break.

It is a quality reel, but you can't throw it around like some reels.

DaveJ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Hmmm....don't know why this wasn't obvious before:

100 CT TE GT = 100 sized Millionaire/Monoblock platforms...5.8:1 ratios are also the same as the TE GT and 100 sized Gen 1 CQs. IMO, the JDM Millionaires and TD Lunas are very comparable to the CT TE GTs in smoothness, granted neither have over-sized main gear. Monoblocks are smoother than any of the aforementioned reels, Daiwa or Shimano, lighter, more aesthetically detailed, but still does not offer over-sized main gear.

Anyone who says that Millionaire platforms are not as usable, as smooth and likely as long lasting/durable (actually more connected in feel, and more refined in operation, casts as far with better casting control with the Magforce vs VBS, especially with reels like the Monoblock and I'ZE)...well, I wonder if they have used both reels side by side on the water for the same techs for a period of time?

Something you need to know about Daiwa RRs vs the Shimano RRs you own...you will need to oil the bearings (unless you plan to run the same bearings as in your Shimano) and grease the gears more often. You will want to make sure that you stop the spool completely on your Daiwa RRs before cranking...Shimanos tend to be able to take a better beating on early engaging of the pinion gear than in Daiwas. This said, I have had two levelind pawls go out in an Antares AR and a CT 100 TE GT, while I have never had this failure in any of my Daiwas.

I have owned:

Shimano: CT 250/150, TE GT 100 x 2, CQ 50 Gen 1, 14 CQ 200 (best RR with braid of ANY RR I have ever owned or used)

Daiwa: Millionaire CVZ 203A, Luna 103, CVZ 103, Ringa HLC, Ringa SSS, I'ZE Light 103, Monoblock 100XR (tuned and only the current 14 CQ 200 is as smooth/smoother than this reel in so far as my RR experience)

And even a few RRs from Abu: Morrum 3600M & 5600M x 2, Pro Max 1600 & 5600, Black Max 3600, Tournament Pro 3600, Morrum IVCB 3600, Morrum 3600 SX Mag.

If you want more cranking power in a Daiwa RR, then a Ryoga 100 series or Lin would be in order...either would be hard to procure in the $400 range however.

Calais 200, best crossover is the Daiwa Z2020H or HS or Z200H/HS. Zillion platforms have a myriad of options for gearing, spools, mag systems, etc., and would only be slightly smaller than a CL 200A size. Neither the Z or Zillion will likely let you down on performance, toughness, durability and fishability, either. Of note, both Z and Zillions have over-sized main gear...you may want to consider the new Antares if you want the HEG and this same level of LP from Shimano (will be more than $400 in all likelihood).

CL 100A/Antares AR, the competitor that Daiwa had at the time of this reel was the TD-Z Type R+, although I feel that a nicely tuned Alphas platform with brass gears and same 5.8:1 gearing feels closer to the Antares AR/CL 100 cranking.

Good luck...I believe you can crossover very successfully from one side to the other and have many years of satisfied results with either company's iterations of RRs and LP reels in this level category.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:17 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote: The Zaion isnt as strong as aluminum or magnesium. Reports of feet breaking off, the hood breaking, and the little tabs that hold the bar that pushes the line down in the T can break.

DaveJ
Are you saying Daiwa lied about the strength of the Zaion? :lol:
I also prefer aluminum or magnesium framed reels but they are becoming more difficult to find. I made a thread last week in this forum about the Zaion materal and everyone gave it a thumbs up.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:25 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
The Zaion isnt as strong as aluminum or magnesium. Reports of feet breaking off, the hood breaking, and the little tabs that hold the bar that pushes the line down in the T can break.

DaveJ
Carbon fiber reinforced plastic is not as strong or impact resistant as most the other commonly used metals that we have been accustomed to in most of our FW reels...or as strong as certain graphite reels from the 80s - 90s for that matter. I am not a believer of Zaion or Ci4 for small intricate parts or for parts designed to withstand heavy load, ie, reel foot on a BC or reel stem on a threadline.

IMHO.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:Has anyone used the Daiwa t3 1016? This website gave it a great review but I'd like to hear some owner opinions. A local shop is selling them for $200 off. The gear ratio is a little higher than I'm used to but It's a great deal and I could afford to buy at least one extra. I'm also looking at possible buying 1 zillion crazy cranker.
Haven't had a chance to use mine much yet, but I do like them so far. The Magforce 3D braking system is exceptional in my opinion. I can set them on Longcast with zero brakes and not over-run or backlash as long as I do my part. Cannot say that about any other reel I own, and they include Shimano, Abu, Pflueger, BPS and other Daiwas. I do get spool fluff when set that way except for the one Ian Shields tuned for me. Only had a chance to get it out once (too cold in Pennsy for me) after the tune, but it didn't fluff that day with those settings. It had previous to Ian's tuning it.

Personally I quickly got use to engaging the spool by pressing the cover down. Even tried it on other reels. :big grin:

I haven't had a chance to see what lure range they are capable of handling. They will be mounted on MH rods handling primarily 3/8-5/8 lures. Already using other reels for lighter and heavier baits.

I am the wrong person to ask about specifics. They seemed pretty smooth to me on the retrieve, but I wasn't paying particular attention to that. Some guys notice the little things. I don't seem to. I have a hard time finding something to dislike about any of my reels. Casting distance was typical. I haven't tried to see if one reel was better than another for distance. Too much like work since my count has grown to over 40 reels the past 6 years. :mrgreen:

Accuracy seems to be good, but I think a rod plays a larger part in that than the reel.

EDIT: I missed the 2nd page before replying. Some don't like a plasticy feel. As far as being able to take less abuse than a metal frame reel, all I can say is I try to baby all my gear. Money isn't a commodity I take lightly since it isn't something I have a lot of. I don't throw a rod and reel down because I lost a fish.....or for any other reason. I take care in transporting them as well. I have yet to destroy a reel from catching a fish. Of course I don't catch double digit bass like many of you. :crying:

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:33 pm

yes the t3 1016 has a plastic slight hollow feel to it. but GOD DAMN DOES IT CAST and the drag is smooth as butter. smoothest out of all of my reels.

if u can ignore the different feel and not be so harsh on it.... its a great reel. my favorite topwater reel for sure

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:33 pm

I find this post very interesting because I went through the same thing in 2013 and 14. I really got the Daiwa itch and bought, traded, and basically tried a ton of Daiwa JDM's, and basically ended up going back to 3/4 Shimano's in my reel arsenal. But there is one Daiwa that in my humble opinion is a MUST own reel, and I just can't put down is the TD Zillion 7.1 to 1, for me the model # is TDZLN100SHLA (I'm a lefty) if you're not it's the same just without the "L" preceding the "A" on the end.
My advice would be to purchase one of those and have Ian (ebassfisher) work his magic on it. You could get one for probably 200-$250 right now, and you could use the money you saved on a TDZ 100M spool that Tackle Trap always carries (around $65 if I recall), a very worthy upgrade. Then some Boca 7's (and possible an upgraded handle). If you really want to go for the best Zillion I like my JDM Zillion better, it's just freaky smooth out of the box and insane tuned up. Either way both versions of the reel are bullet proof, palmable as hell, and exceptionally powerful and fast. I love mine! :big grin:
Then if you like it I would try some more Daiwa's. BTW I tried a Pixy JDM (Liberto) and Steez 103, and while I liked them I prefer my tuned Scorpion 1001xt's over them, so I sold them both off. But that's only my experience (I can not stress that enough.) Daiwa makes some great stuff, and many members on here love them. It will come down to personal preference, and casting style....and no one can tell you until you try. But again I think you can't go wrong with the Zillion.
BTW they offer it in 6.3 to 1 and a 4.9 to 1 I believe.

And perhaps most importantly the Zillion is all aluminum framed and I think brass gearing, making them sturdy and smooth (not the lightest though) similar to the reels you mentioned owning already.

Good luck!!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:30 pm

The T3 1016 is a very nice reel. The fact that you can instantly engage the reel is why I like it. No more reeling when you get a bite. Great for shallow pitching.

You'd probably be surprised at how smooth the steez is, although the power isn't there (if you're comparing to Shimano's).

Edit: the T3 1016 is not quite as smooth as the zillions I've handled. Just a thought and my own personal opinion.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Tough for me to choose. My zillion type r is pretty sweet. If I wanted to upgrade the spool which would be the best one for flipping and pitching? Also what is the best spool option for the T3? I want to upgrade some of my reels this year to maximize their potential.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:39 am

down4ttown wrote:Tough for me to choose. My zillion type r is pretty sweet. If I wanted to upgrade the spool which would be the best one for flipping and pitching? Also what is the best spool option for the T3? I want to upgrade some of my reels this year to maximize their potential.
T3 I don't know, but the TDZ 100m spool is probably the best pitching spool for the Zillion, and is really affordable. The PE Long Cast spool would be option 2, but it cost a lot more...almost double by the time you pay import duties.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:04 am

trent_s wrote:I find this post very interesting because I went through the same thing in 2013 and 14. I really got the Daiwa itch and bought, traded, and basically tried a ton of Daiwa JDM's, and basically ended up going back to 3/4 Shimano's in my reel arsenal. But there is one Daiwa that in my humble opinion is a MUST own reel, and I just can't put down is the TD Zillion 7.1 to 1, for me the model # is TDZLN100SHLA (I'm a lefty) if you're not it's the same just without the "L" preceding the "A" on the end.
My advice would be to purchase one of those and have Ian (ebassfisher) work his magic on it. You could get one for probably 200-$250 right now, and you could use the money you saved on a TDZ 100M spool that Tackle Trap always carries (around $65 if I recall), a very worthy upgrade. Then some Boca 7's (and possible an upgraded handle). If you really want to go for the best Zillion I like my JDM Zillion better, it's just freaky smooth out of the box and insane tuned up. Either way both versions of the reel are bullet proof, palmable as hell, and exceptionally powerful and fast. I love mine! :big grin:
Then if you like it I would try some more Daiwa's. BTW I tried a Pixy JDM (Liberto) and Steez 103, and while I liked them I prefer my tuned Scorpion 1001xt's over them, so I sold them both off. But that's only my experience (I can not stress that enough.) Daiwa makes some great stuff, and many members on here love them. It will come down to personal preference, and casting style....and no one can tell you until you try. But again I think you can't go wrong with the Zillion.
BTW they offer it in 6.3 to 1 and a 4.9 to 1 I believe.

And perhaps most importantly the Zillion is all aluminum framed and I think brass gearing, making them sturdy and smooth (not the lightest though) similar to the reels you mentioned owning already.

Good luck!!
If I bought the zillion I would get 2crazy cranker's with the 4.9 ratio & 1: 6.3. So in the end what was the main reason you switched back to Shimano ? I decided to buy all daiwa's because I feel Shimano doesn't have anything in there lineup besides the Stella, Calais DC or calcutta conquest that I like. And a lot of their lower price models have lost some quality over the years. I recently bought a ballistic spinning reel on sale and fell in love with it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:14 am

The lighter spools tend to cast lighter baits better and the heavier spools tend to cast the heavy baits better. Each has its strengths. A lot of people on here have been talking up the SV spools as the best all around option, but I don't own one yet to verify it and there is a lot of murmur about the inductors having problems. It is my opinion that the stock USDM Zillion spool with braid backing to bring the weight down is a great all around casting reel for the 3/8 to 1/2 ounce baits that the average bass fisherman fishes most of the time.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:23 am

toddmc wrote:The lighter spools tend to cast lighter baits better and the heavier spools tend to cast the heavy baits better. Each has its strengths. A lot of people on here have been talking up the SV spools as the best all around option, but I don't own one yet to verify it and there is a lot of murmur about the inductors having problems. It is my opinion that the stock USDM Zillion spool with braid backing to bring the weight down is a great all around casting reel for the 3/8 to 1/2 ounce baits that the average bass fisherman fishes most of the time.

I tend to cast a lot of different size and weight of lures depending on the location of the fish. Usually between 3/8oz -1oz.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.