Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:42 pm

I am buying all new reels this year and I have decided to switch from Shimano to Daiwa. I don't have a lot of knowledge of Daiwa casting reel models so I could use some good advice. What would be the best all around Daiwa reel for under $400? I would prefer new but I would consider used reels as well. A refined smooth retrieve is #1 on my list of features. I also want a lower gear ratio, around 5.0-5.8. I'll use 10-15lb test and I'll fish them with A lot of diferent lures.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best all around Daiwa Casting Reel ?

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Which Shimanos were you using before? And which ones did you like the most?
What rods will you be pairing them with?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Under$400. SS SV, pixy or zillion. Depends on the technique.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:02 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Which Shimanos were you using before? And which ones did you like the most?

I have 2 Calcutta TE-100GT's 1 TE-200GT & 1 Calais APV. The 100gt & Calais are my favorites and I have fished them hard for almost a decade but it's time to replace them. I don't use the 200 as much, it feels less comfortable to me. I want to buy 3 new reels, I'll be pairing them with Gloomis imx mag bass rods. 2- IMX 783C MBR 6'6Med-Heavy and 1-IMX 844C MBR 7'0 Heavy.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Which Shimanos were you using before? And which ones did you like the most?

I have 2 Calcutta TE-100GT's 1 TE-200GT & 1 Calais APV. The 100gt & Calais are my favorites and I have fished them hard for almost a decade but it's time to replace them. I don't use the 200 as much, it feels less comfortable to me. I want to buy 3 new reels, I'll be pairing them with Gloomis imx mag bass rods. 2- IMX 783C MBR 6'6Med-Heavy and 1-IMX 844C MBR 7'0 Heavy.
Those are big shoes to fill 8-)
Look forward to the recommendations

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:

I don't always use Shimano but when I do, I prefer Calcutta or Calais.
Actually, Conquest or Antares, the JDM versions.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 pm

africanbass wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:

Those are big shoes to fill 8-)
Look forward to the recommendations
Talk about, you are replacing some very nice reels!

With the rods you mentioned, I am a little surprised that they balanced with the rods you listed, since the reels are pretty heavy and powerful. I have never fished an IMX rod, but this is what I would do:

1. 783 Megabass Hedgehog Alphas (a little above budget, but comes with a regular and shallow spool) Check jpangler and talk to Kazu, he might be able to find one within your budget, I know it is a higher gear ratio then you want, but really any Alphas variant are versatile and refined reels.

2. 783 older zillion or variant, they are the most versatile Daiwas imo, and respond well to supertuning

3. 844 the Calais will be a hard reel to replace, but I would personally go with a new Calcutta Conquest 200, which palms perfectly, unlike the older Calcutta 200. The retrieve just doesn't get any smoother! I know it is not a Daiwa, but can't think of anything that is comparable, except maybe the Z.

With those three reels I cannot think of a single technique that you couldn't fish. There are also a slew of aftermarket spools as well. Good luck! you are really going to enjoy the refinement that some of these reels offer. 8-)
Last edited by zodiak311 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Maybe add a very good condition TDZ with an RCS1016 Spool to the list.

DaveJ

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:32 am

I feel like you'll be hard pressed to surpass the reels you're coming from.
I'd just update to the newest versions of those feels you mentioned

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:51 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Maybe add a very good condition TDZ with an RCS1016 Spool to the list.

DaveJ
You're on top of it, DaveJ. Excellent choice in that price range.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:18 am

You can get a new steez on flea bay for around 300. The ones I bought and keep finding are 6.3 with the left over money you could get a faster set from tackletrap.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:12 am

If you used to those smooth reels then going to the lighter daiwa reels is a big change. As already stated I would buy the new Antares 5.6 and a new conquest

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 am

If I didnt know much about a brand, it would be hard to pick that product without lots of research,not just others opinions. Get out and check out some of the Daiwas and give them a try. You may love them and you may not. I have purchased many products based on others advise and not always been happy with the results, so buy wisely. Both companies make great products. JMHO

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 am

zodiak311 wrote:
With the rods you mentioned, I am a little surprised that they balanced with the rods you listed, since the reels are pretty heavy and powerful. I have never fished an IMX rod, but this is what I would do:

1. 783 Megabass Hedgehog Alphas (a little above budget, but comes with a regular and shallow spool) Check jpangler and talk to Kazu, he might be able to find one within your budget, I know it is a higher gear ratio then you want, but really any Alphas variant are versatile and refined reels.

2. 783 older zillion or variant, they are the most versatile Daiwas imo, and respond well to supertuning

3. 844 the Calais will be a hard reel to replace, but I would personally go with a new Calcutta Conquest 200, which palms perfectly, unlike the older Calcutta 200. The retrieve just doesn't get any smoother! I know it is not a Daiwa, but can't think of anything that is comparable, except maybe the Z.

With those three reels I cannot think of a single technique that you couldn't fish. There are also a slew of aftermarket spools as well. Good luck! you are really going to enjoy the refinement that some of these reels offer. 8-)
They balance out almost perfectly to me, I don't mind a heaver reel. I would buy the new conquest but around $1000 for 2 reels is just crazy. Both of the smaller Calcutta's and the Calais are beat to hell, If I don't replace them I will at least have to rebuild all 3. I think I'm better off to sell them and buy new ones.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 am

Has anyone used the Daiwa t3 1016? This website gave it a great review but I'd like to hear some owner opinions. A local shop is selling them for $200 off. The gear ratio is a little higher than I'm used to but It's a great deal and I could afford to buy at least one extra. I'm also looking at possible buying 1 zillion crazy cranker.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.