Supertuning defined

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Supertuning defined

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm

Could someone do it for me? Is there a single definition of supertuning a reel? Is it polishing all internal friction points made of metal? For those who have sent a reel in to Ian what does he do to them exactly? I've read some old articles and posts on it, just want to make sure I know exactly what it is.

Thanks.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Supertuning defined

Post by USA-RET » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 am

Polishing internals, Upgrading bearings, oftentimes swapping spools and components to lighten the reel, upgrading the drag. May also include swapping gears. Much depends on what the person is trying to achieve. Generically speaking, it usually includes a bearing and drag upgrade with some internal polishing.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:42 am

Super tuning a reel is very subjective, as different "tuners" do it different ways. Some believe simply tossing ceramics and drag washers. Others go through every system of the reel from the spool and spool bearings, to the clutch mechanism.

The best definition of tuning I can give you is refining the systems of the reel to ensure smoothness and performance during casting, retrieval, and fighting of fish. A tuned reel will cast better, with less effort, resulting in less fatigue. A tuned reel will be smoother under a load, and the drag should be smooth on start up and maintain pressure during a run.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 am

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Great read thanks! =D>

zodiak311