Budget Sweet Spot... Casting Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

What is your budget sweet spot when looking for a new reel?

Under $100
2%
$100 - $125
5%
$126-$150
10%
$151-$175
7%
$176-$200
22%
$201-$250
18%
$251-$300
9%
Budget? What Budget? Enthusiasts don't care about no stinkin' budget!!
26%

Total votes: 378

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Budget Sweet Spot... Casting Reels

Post by CheezusCrust » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:52 am

I like how poor people who can't afford high end gear always say ;"your 600$ rod won't catch you more fish than my 40$ ugly stick uhuhuhuhuh".

But it does catch more fish.I can feel so many more bites that I couldnt detect when I was poor and fishing with cheap rods.You get what you pay for.A 600$ rod is 600$ for a reason.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:47 pm

CheezusCrust wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:52 am
I like how poor people who can't afford high end gear always say ;"your 600$ rod won't catch you more fish than my 40$ ugly stick uhuhuhuhuh".

But it does catch more fish.I can feel so many more bites that I couldnt detect when I was poor and fishing with cheap rods.You get what you pay for.A 600$ rod is 600$ for a reason.
For me, since I pass the line over my index finger as it enters the reel, I feel just about everything, no matter which rod I use.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:58 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:47 pm
CheezusCrust wrote:

For me, since I pass the line over my index finger as it enters the reel, I feel just about everything, no matter which rod I use.
I used to do that, before I started using braid. Got a nasty cut/burn when the drag slipped on a hookset. Wont' make that mistake again!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm

CheezusCrust wrote:

How many top pros using $600 rods? I use top quality/price gear for my pleasure. Confidence in your gear catches fish, if your $600 rod works for you, good. If you can catch as many fish, and I fish with some people who could catch fish with an uglystick in a wet sponge, use what you can or want to afford.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:34 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm
CheezusCrust wrote:

How many top pros using $600 rods?
Now that Aaron Martens is with G. Loomis, he would be one of the few. Almost guaranteed, he will be using a $600+ rod for dropshot.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CheezusCrust » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:34 pm
Sore Thumb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm
CheezusCrust wrote:

How many top pros using $600 rods?
Now that Aaron Martens is with G. Loomis, he would be one of the few. Almost guaranteed, he will be using a $600+ rod for dropshot.
And thar rod's name starts with "N" and finishes with "X" lol

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:58 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:47 pm
CheezusCrust wrote:

I used to do that, before I started using braid. Got a nasty cut/burn when the drag slipped on a hookset. Wont' make that mistake again!
That used to be my rite of spring, a braid cut from a loose drag. Now I button them down tight enough that they won't slip, and leave the like that. If a fish pulls drag after that, it's on!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:52 am

CheezusCrust wrote:

I would think there are diminishing returns after the $150-200 mark. I have own rods from every price point. Best rod for the money I have used was the OG Tatula rods. Retail 150ish and could be found all day for less than $100. They are light, sensitive and the series was pretty comprehensive, other than for deep cranking. I think most fish I have caught from any NRX, Conquest, Megabass rod...that I have owned I could have caught on the OG Tatula line of rods. I use high end gear because I enjoy it. Seems dumb but, I will spend the extra $200-300 dollars just to compare rods. I will also buy them to feel that small difference in perception when it comes to feel, taper and sensitivity.

It is a joy to feel those complex tapers when fishing a jerkbait. light enough tip to launch the jerkbait, fast, snappy and crisp when working the lure, sensitive enough to feel the fish tap the jerkbait when still on semi-slack line, power to set the hook and then, the taper opens up into a beautiful moderate to keep those treble hooks pinned...poetry in motion.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun May 31, 2020 4:29 pm

No budget. I buy what I like and want

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun May 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:26 pm
While I have a few reels over the $200 mark, I have been on a an older Daiwa buying kick of late. I picked up an Alphas Finesse Custom for like $115 shipped and honestly like it more than the $200 NIB SV105s I got earlier in the year. Same thing with a used PX68 I got for just under $200. I think I am going to buy up a few more older Alphas series reels before I dip my toe into anything nicer. I think I would almost rather get an older used reel and spend the money to send it to a good tuner then to spend the same money on a NIB reel.
Three years later and I am back to the same place. I bought an nib Steez SVTW and a Ryoga 1510 and while I love both reels, I don't think they are worth the money when there are a million great older Daiwas out there that can be had for half what they cost. I have had such good experiences buying used reels from the classifieds here that I don't even know what it would take to get me to pay over $300ish for a NIB reel.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm

I didn’t select anything because there in American so pretty much double that for Canadian dollars lol. Reels now are good quality across the board anymore but 250 to 300 is a good choice with a few in the 400 range. But like cal said manufacturers are making it harder because there a lot closer in price range anymore.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I do not consider myself rich, but I can buy any reel/rod that I desire. I do not own a boat (=price of many combos). I have 70+ reels and rods and most are high end. I collect and love tackle, but I do not catch more on my high-end stuff than on my cheaper gear. Maybe - just maybe - expensive vs medium-priced tackle could reach statistical significance with regard to catching fish in my hands (p<0.05) but that would take me thousands of fishing trips. Get what you can afford and enjoy fishing.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm
I do not consider myself rich, but I can buy any reel/rod that I desire. I do not own a boat (=price of many combos). I have 70+ reels and rods and most are high end. I collect and love tackle, but I do not catch more on my high-end stuff than on my cheaper gear. Maybe - just maybe - expensive vs medium-priced tackle could reach statistical significance with regard to catching fish in my hands (p<0.05) but that would take me thousands of fishing trips. Get what you can afford and enjoy fishing.
Exactly!

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm

No budget, if I want it, I get it (if I can afford it :lol:)
I'm a car guy, of course I'm gonna spend money on things I don't need

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:20 pm

I Don't believe there is a sweet spot as that is dependant on brand. For instance with Daiwa I wont use anything less than a Zillion or Alphas ( must have the free floating spool) . Shimano I would happily use Curado or maybe even the STX. ABU I use the classic round reels Made in Sweden, have never been a fan of the REVO series and their MG reels are like aspro clear and dissolve in salt air , don't dare touch them after eating Salt and Vinegar potato chips. But the REVO beast I like and would be a good big bait reel.