Daiwa ICAST 2017 (2018 products)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa ICAST 2017 (2018 products)

Post by JWR075 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Sure it wasn't Fieder's boat...if that's the case no big deal. He and Mercer were insane about Shimano back in January but I can see where Daiwa (currently) can take the cake. I really love both manufacturers so you can't go wrong with either.
Could have been but the boat was also sporting Carhart and Strikeking logos on the deck. Here is one comment he made "Yes, I'm am no Longer with Shimano/Loomis.....They were going in one direction and my business is heading in another, but I'm thankful for the time we had together. Z show and Z live will now be with Daiwa and I'm very very happy about that. There will be much more in the coming weeks z".

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I really like the looks of their 5 year plan. The tech is only in a few reels now. But soon all.

They're about to own a specific price point spinning reel....Just like they took over with another reel last year.
What is the 5 year plan??? What sorcery tech do you speak of?
Lotsa Zaion and lots of Monocoque
I watch another fisherman on youtube, THE REEL TEST, and he had a Chronarch MGL throwing a 1/4oz like 144ft, I thought this HAD to be more than my Zillion SV, so I went to test it, same weight, full spool of fluorocarbon, 7'Medium rod, and tied it almost dead even, few casts longer and a few shorter. This alone will have me just invest in another Zillion SV. Daiwa is tops now for me because of ease of use, parts sourcing, ease of maintenance, interchangeability, etc. I wanted to really try a Chronarch MGL, but weird reports, lack of aluminum frame, and more finicky brakes have finally swayed me to stay all Daiwa.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:00 pm

JWR075 wrote:Not a reel per say but Daiwa is now the rod and reel sponsor of Mark Zona.
This disappoints me a bit. I don't generally keep up with who is sponsored by this or that as 99% of it isn't applicable to my smallmouth fishing and there are a great deal of "staffers" that throw things other than what jerseys read. I've even bowed out of such "pro staff" activity. However, as a smallmouth only guy I was generally locked into with enthusiasm on the NRX (all I use) as to what Mr. Zona was helping them develop on the smallie front (long spins). I guess a three power over 7 foot NRX is now a complete pipe dream. I've been waiting and then some (without going inshore).

Perhaps there's a "Z" Tatula Elite AGS long smallie spin coming at some point to complement Seths' ? I am now again hoping. Hope is a good thing.

It's an ugly business.

Thanks for the heads up sir.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 pm

TravisNY wrote:
JWR075 wrote:Not a reel per say but Daiwa is now the rod and reel sponsor of Mark Zona.
I enjoy watching the Zona show but I could care less about who spongers him or what rods and reels he uses. I learned long ago not to listen to pro anglers on what to buy. If I did I would have 2 rod lockers full of quantums and that would be a pity. :lol:

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Here is the new Shimano Sustain that will premiere at ICAST. Hopefully it's an improvement over the current model.
Attachments
56-shimano-sustain-2500hg - Copy.jpg
56-shimano-sustain-2500hg - Copy.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 7813 times

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
TravisNY wrote:
I enjoy watching the Zona show but I could care less about who spongers him or what rods and reels he uses. I learned long ago not to listen to pro anglers on what to buy. If I did I would have 2 rod lockers full of quantums and that would be a pity. :lol:
Of course. Agreed sir. I've been in the game for a bit and wasn't typing from the standpoint of giving much credence to "who pays the bills". In fact I've never seen his show as I don't watch TV at all. In fact don't even have satellite/cable (leaves more time to fish). I do know that he's a bronze diehard from the north in which I appreciate. I also know he had a hand in the 872 NRX and more recently the longer GLX spins as well as JVD with the IMX Pro longer spin models. On the smallie front and for what I do Loomis/Shim/PP lost a good one in Zona at least for what I do in hopes of more smallie specific long spins. Sorry to derail.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:18 pm

yup knew that a month ago but couldn't say anything about it.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 am

Good for Zona. If you look back over the last couple of years you will see some of the guys have switched away from Shimano.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am

Markanthony404 wrote:Here is the new Shimano Sustain that will premiere at ICAST. Hopefully it's an improvement over the current model.
I know looks don't mean much...but is it me or does that thing look like a cheapo piece of doo doo....It looks like a generic 30$ alibaba reel .

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am

I'm amazed that anyone would care who uses what equipment. It is about money and I would switch for more money or a better deal in a minute, be it fishing equipment, automobiles, or brand of underwear. The fact of the matter is several manufacturers make great equipment and sponsorship is not about using the best equipment.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am

TravisNY wrote:
This disappoints me a bit. I don't generally keep up with who is sponsored by this or that as 99% of it isn't applicable to my smallmouth fishing and there are a great deal of "staffers" that throw things other than what jerseys read. I've even bowed out of such "pro staff" activity. However, as a smallmouth only guy I was generally locked into with enthusiasm on the NRX (all I use) as to what Mr. Zona was helping them develop on the smallie front (long spins). I guess a three power over 7 foot NRX is now a complete pipe dream. I've been waiting and then some (without going inshore).

Perhaps there's a "Z" Tatula Elite AGS long smallie spin coming at some point to complement Seths' ? I am now again hoping. Hope is a good thing.

It's an ugly business.

Travis , the NRX 901s mr inshore is worth a look. Love that rod! I fish inshore with it for specks and reds of course, but have bass fished with it quite a bit. Nice light tip with great backbone. Fun rod! Sorry for the derail. Back to topic. I agree that sponsorship has everything to do with the mighty dollar than whose gear is best.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:35 am

Jrob wrote:
TravisNY wrote:

It's an ugly business.

Travis , the NRX 901s mr inshore is worth a look. Love that rod! I fish inshore with it for specks and reds of course, but have bass fished with it quite a bit. Nice light tip with great backbone. Fun rod! Sorry for the derail. Back to topic. I agree that sponsorship has everything to do with the mighty dollar than whose gear is best.
Yeah I was gonna suggest the same thing- why not an inshore? Looks like they have a 7'4 & 7'8 in 3 power. My bro in Florida fishes with an NRX inshore and he loves that rod more than his wife :lol:
Also- They may release something in the upcoming Conquest line that fits the bill. And judging from that pic(that's since been taken down), aesthetics wise- those rods with that brown/copper color look like a match made in heaven for smallmouth guys.

*also sorry for getting off topic- back to daiwa! :big grin:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 am

big_gee wrote:Good for Zona. If you look back over the last couple of years you will see some of the guys have switched away from Shimano.
And there was a guy who switched away from Megabass and won the most dominant AOY to date :lol:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 am

Daiwa spinning reels from the Japan fishing show in February-
Theory, Aegis, Steez type I & II
Might see some of these at icast?

https://youtu.be/8OFSWsb54P4

Side note: If you like daiwa/daiwa JDM/SLP works, that YouTube channel is definitely worth subscribing to. Tons of sick JDM fishing vids

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Jrob wrote:
TravisNY wrote:

It's an ugly business.

Sorry just realized I put 901s...its the 921s mr inshore. Amazing inshore rod for specks and reds. I have thrown everything from spooks , crankbaits, and finesse worms for bass without issue too. And back to Daiwa... lol