2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:56 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:17 pm
Steven100 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:48 am
I have one the 1000l tw. I find it a lemon. Love more the Steez
Cast better.
Make lemonade and sell it
Just got done with a short stint on the river tossing a Giant Dog X and Evergreen JT 115. Brakes on 10, meh...mag on 8, getting better...mag on 6...HOLY SCHNITZOLA!!!

And this was with new/just spooled 30lb Tufline Domin8 and 20lb fluoro leader. Additionally, the cranking speed and smoothness worked together beautifully, and the immediate connection of the gears and other functions were flawless as well...this reel is an absolute keeper.

Unfortunately the shad/larger shiners and smallies that were here the last few days have vacated the area due to dropping water levels and have gone back downriver to deeper holes...but it won't be long before I lay the Morethan wood on some feeshies!

Color me extremely impressed! :big grin:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:39 pm

If I can ever locate some sleeper gills I'm planning the spool my XH-L Morethan with 30# braid+17# FC leader, pair it with a Heavy 7'4" St. Croix Victory, and slay some big river smallmouth. I have some 3/4 oz Dark Sleepers that I could use come to think of it...this reel continues to be my favorite for heavy action fishing. I love the quality that it exudes.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:18 pm

Freddie wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:39 pm
If I can ever locate some sleeper gills I'm planning the spool my XH-L Morethan with 30# braid+17# FC leader, pair it with a Heavy 7'4" St. Croix Victory, and slay some big river smallmouth. I have some 3/4 oz Dark Sleepers that I could use come to think of it...this reel continues to be my favorite for heavy action fishing. I love the quality that it exudes.
While I don't feel this Morethan 1000 spool will outperform a ZPI PG or M, it is a darn good combination of speed, distance and ease of casting...almost a cross between an HLC and ZPI M, and in my hands it seems like ~ 1/2 oz is where it start to shine more, and most likely with more aerodynamic type lures, I'm not so sure it would be great with tossing a big bladed spinnerbait on a windy day, but I don't think that's what it was designed for.

Long distance launching with metal spoons/blade baits, 1/2+ topwaters, lipless, compact jigs and baits like a 3/4 Sleeper Gill or Dark Sleepers, frogs...I can see it being just awesome.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."