Steez Limited 105 paint ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez Limited 105 paint ?

Post by domthewon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:25 am

I recently grabbed a Steez Limited and it’s in used condition and has the normal paint issues with these reels. I also got brand new side plates and frame. My question is before I rebuild this reel into the new body is it possible to clear coat it to keep the new pieces looking good without affecting the look of the reel? I wouldn’t be doing the clear coat I’d have someone do it, and also have the old pieces custom painted.
Thanks,
Dom

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez Limited 105 paint ?

Post by leggomye990 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:55 am

I'd like to know this too lol
Keep the paint protected, I was thinking of getting it ceramic coated like how some car detailers have product to cermanic coat your car and it supposed to protect the paint for like 5 to 6 years or something.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 am

I've never owned one. More like refused to buy one, but from the countless pics I've seen, it appears the top coat is what peels. So if the new top coats properties don't jive with the old, it could potentially lead to worse problems. I would consult a professional coatings paint store manager or sales rep before buying and applying. If it were me, I'd just have both frames and all plates stripped, and completely redone. I've seen someone do this, and it looked much, much better.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I've never owned one. More like refused to buy one, but from the countless pics I've seen, it appears the top coat is what peels. So if the new top coats properties don't jive with the old, it could potentially lead to worse problems. I would consult a professional coatings paint store manager or sales rep before buying and applying. If it were me, I'd just have both frames and all plates stripped, and completely redone. I've seen someone do this, and it looked much, much better.
I have a new in box that I bought but refused to throw which is why I got the used one. I was worried about the top coat like you mentioned if I were to get them cleared. Custom paint on all the pieces might be the way to go. I can have options as to how I really wanna build my reel up if I get them 2 different color schemes.
Thanks for your input. Decisions decisions.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

What normal paint issues? This is the 1st I am hearing of this. This is the shiny Steez with the bajillion holes in the frame, correct?

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 pm

domthewon wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I've never owned one. More like refused to buy one, but from the countless pics I've seen, it appears the top coat is what peels. So if the new top coats properties don't jive with the old, it could potentially lead to worse problems. I would consult a professional coatings paint store manager or sales rep before buying and applying. If it were me, I'd just have both frames and all plates stripped, and completely redone. I've seen someone do this, and it looked much, much better.
I have a new in box that I bought but refused to throw which is why I got the used one. I was worried about the top coat like you mentioned if I were to get them cleared. Custom paint on all the pieces might be the way to go. I can have options as to how I really wanna build my reel up if I get them 2 different color schemes.

Auto paint clear coat is tough as nails! I’m sure if you had it applied to the top it wouldn’t peel.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Samuel_b wrote:
domthewon wrote:

Auto paint clear coat is tough as nails! I’m sure if you had it applied to the top it wouldn’t peel.
I wouldn't be so sure. It can have a very negative effect if the properties of the different coatings don't jive, and aren't compatible. I worked in the paint industry (professional coatings) for a number of years. It's a gamble. It's also unlikely to fix the already present imperfections. Generally speaking, you basically have to start over with a clean, bare surface.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 pm

LowRange wrote:What normal paint issues? This is the 1st I am hearing of this. This is the shiny Steez with the bajillion holes in the frame, correct?
Look at all the limited SV105 Steez reels on ebay. Every one of them the top coat is peeling. Some worse than others. Once it begins, it continues to grow. The only ones I've seen that haven't are just out of the box, or only a few weeks new to exposure

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Since we're on the subject of clearcoating, i was just coating my td ito today 8-)
I hope the end result looks good because the reel is nib and was a pain in the ass to find.

You should remove the palming side plate of the used one you have, clean it up, and coat it with a clear coat to see what's up.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:What normal paint issues? This is the 1st I am hearing of this. This is the shiny Steez with the bajillion holes in the frame, correct?
Look at all the limited SV105 Steez reels on ebay. Every one of them the top coat is peeling. Some worse than others. Once it begins, it continues to grow. The only ones I've seen that haven't are just out of the box, or only a few weeks new to exposure
Great. I bought one a while ago and have barely used it so it is flawless. I'll have to make sure it stays that way. I'm not one to lay my reels down upside down and scratch the top of the reel so maybe I'll be ok.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm

LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Great. I bought one a while ago and have barely used it so it is flawless. I'll have to make sure it stays that way. I'm not one to lay my reels down upside down and scratch the top of the reel so maybe I'll be ok.
I'd definitely keep it in a cover when not in use, especially out in the heat under the sun.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 am

SSS wrote:Since we're on the subject of clearcoating, i was just coating my td ito today 8-)
I hope the end result looks good because the reel is nib and was a pain in the ass to find.

You should remove the palming side plate of the used one you have, clean it up, and coat it with a clear coat to see what's up.
That might be an option, but me and painting do not get along. Last thing I painted was a mini bike frame tangerine candy. I spent $300 just on the paint and everyone who seen it liked it , but there were too many flaws when I looked at it so I took it to the powder coated and they did the whole thing for $200 ](*,) :lol:

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:11 am

LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Hogsticker said it best. Yeah keep it protected and it will help. My buddies looks good after 3 -4 years still, but he’s very good about keeping a cover on it when he’s not using it. Once it starts it seems to spread fast.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Bump. I am finally going to use mine after getting the new Levante. I guess it can peel now like the rest of them. Might just paint it a matching Levante green when it peels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:13 pm

I have two of them no paint issues
However the old Shimano mg7 the JDM version I got someone to put a clear coat on it. It was slicker when wet than water is on oil.
Just something I to think about.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible