Steez Gear Mods

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Steez Gear Mods

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 am

fishonsc wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 am
I used the brass 6.3 gear set out of a sv103. I put them in my Steez SV 103. Worked like a charm. You will need the drag stack to. They are different sizes.
Correct, the 1st gen Steez SV reels are the same frame as the original Steez SH reels, as are the TN and LTD versions.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am

Looks like I was unlucky to order from yahoo the only one modification that do not has brass gears in stock right now :(
Will appreciate if someone see tdz brass set for 103hl version and will tell where I can get them -/

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Slevins wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am
Looks like I was unlucky to order from yahoo the only one modification that do not has brass gears in stock right now :(
Will appreciate if someone see tdz brass set for 103hl version and will tell where I can get them -/
There is a 7.1:1 gear upgrade that will fit the TDZ 103ML, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think it will fit the LH Steez 103HL, also. The Tackle Trap had them, but not sure if it is in stock. They will ship anywhere, just call them. Their reel tech, Spanky, can likely tell you for sure if the swap will work.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slevins
Angler
Angler

Post by Slevins » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Slevins wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am
There is a 7.1:1 gear upgrade that will fit the TDZ 103ML, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think it will fit the LH Steez 103HL, also. The Tackle Trap had them, but not sure if it is in stock. They will ship anywhere, just call them. Their reel tech, Spanky, can likely tell you for sure if the swap will work.
thx, but do not want to change gear ratio, I have order 2016 Steez SV TW with 7.1 gear ratio.
Looks like we need again someone extremely experienced as BARRAMANIAC. Does there any options to use millionaire or any other reel gears with the same gear ratio?
If not i will go with new stock gears and will use reel for light weights up to 1/2 oz

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am

Still trying to figure out what brass gears would fit in my Steez A, I would like to be able to use a brass pinion too instead of the stock Steez A pinion

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am
Still trying to figure out what brass gears would fit in my Steez A, I would like to be able to use a brass pinion too instead of the stock Steez A pinion
the OG zillion brass main gear fits but have to stay with the Steez A pinion due to the way its machined and where the slot for the yoke is. So have to stick with ratios available in both reels eg. 7.1:1 , 6.3:1 ,

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 am
fishonsc wrote:
I used the brass 6.3 gear set out of a sv103. I put them in my Steez SV 103. Worked like a charm. You will need the drag stack to. They are different sizes.
Correct, the 1st gen Steez SV reels are the same frame as the original Steez SH reels, as are the TN and LTD versions.
But wouldn't that mean that the LTD couldn't come in an 8:1? Weren't the early Steez limited by a small gearbox that was enlarged in later years?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
But wouldn't that mean that the LTD couldn't come in an 8:1? Weren't the early Steez limited by a small gearbox that was enlarged in later years?
1st gen H series Steez has the small gear box. The 1st gen SH has 7.1 gears, and shares its frame with the Steez EX, Steez SV, SS SV, SV Light LTD, 105XH LTD and T. Namiki LTD reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:11 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
1st gen H series Steez has the small gear box. The 1st gen SH has 7.1 gears, and shares its frame with the Steez EX, Steez SV, SS SV, SV Light LTD, 105XH LTD and T. Namiki LTD reels. IIRC, the Steez 103 debuted in '05 and the SH was introduced the following year, in '06.

jameschawjr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jameschawjr » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am

Bringing this old post back to life for a conclusion since I am looking to purchase some Zillion PE gears for my old Steez SHL.

So I have found out that the gears/side frame from the steez SH does NOT fit the SV Light or the SS Air. So my conclusions are:

1) SV Light, SS Air, SS SV, Steez Namiki, Steez Limited SV (non TW), Steez EX, Steez SV (non TW). All share the same gears/sideplates.

2) Steez H/HL shares the same gears with TDZ.

So the question is where does this leaves the Steez SH at? Because if the Zillion gears fit the Namiki or SS SV, it means that it does not fit the Steez SH because those two are not interchangable (SS SV and Steez SH)

If anyone needs pictures of the gear comparison i can provide them. Many thanks guys! :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Wait, "SV103" as in TD Zillion gears and drag stack fit the old Steez LTD and I assume SS SV103 reels? I guess this makes sense. I ways wondered what the doner reels for the brass gear conversion came from.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Wait, "SV103" as in TD Zillion gears and drag stack fit the old Steez LTD and I assume SS SV103 reels? I guess this makes sense. I always wondered what the doner reels for the brass gear conversion came from.
Partially correct; the SV103 built on the og Zillion frame. That will work, but you have to use the stock steez pinion and the og Zillion brass drive gear. The main zillion/SV103 gear also has to be the same gear ratio as the stock Steez pinion in order to work. Regarding an entire gear set being interchangeable, I mean the same as in the only gen Steez with the SV spool, before the t-wing came into play. This is the exact same frame as the 1st-gen 2006 Steez SH (7.1) reel. Those gears sets are fully interchangeable.

jameschawjr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jameschawjr » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:12 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm
LowRange wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Wait, "SV103" as in TD Zillion gears and drag stack fit the old Steez LTD and I assume SS SV103 reels? I guess this makes sense. I always wondered what the doner reels for the brass gear conversion came from.
Partially correct; the SV103 built on the og Zillion frame. That will work, but you have to use the stock steez pinion and the og Zillion brass drive gear. The main zillion/SV103 gear also has to be the same gear ratio as the stock Steez pinion in order to work. Regarding an entire gear set being interchangeable, I mean the same as in the only gen Steez with the SV spool, before the t-wing came into play. This is the exact same frame as the 1st-gen 2006 Steez SH (7.1) reel. Those gears sets are fully interchangeable.
Thanks so much for the reply :D So that means:

1) Everything that shares frame/gears with SS SV/Steez LTD, can swap gears with the og Zillions drive gear but needs the steez pinion ( same ratio )

2) Only Steez SV ( orange color JDM ver I assume because the USDM 103 looks different ) gears swap directly swap with Steez SH 7.1

Is that correct?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:25 pm

jameschawjr wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:12 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
fishonsc wrote:

1) Everything that shares frame/gears with SS SV/Steez LTD, can swap gears with the og Zillions drive gear but needs the steez pinion ( same ratio )

2) Only Steez SV ( orange color JDM ver I assume because the USDM 103 looks different ) gears swap directly swap with Steez SH 7.1

Is that correct?
The steez sv with the orange spool is a bit of a 🦄.
iirc, it is built on the og steez h/ha frame, not the steez sh/sha frame, so it's 6.3 gears only for that one. The larger sh/sha gears don't fit into it.

jameschawjr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jameschawjr » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:25 pm
jameschawjr wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:12 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:

Is that correct?
The steez sv with the orange spool is a bit of a 🦄.
iirc, it is built on the og steez h/ha frame, not the steez sh/sha frame, so it's 6.3 gears only for that one. The larger sh/sha gears don't fit into it.
Oh! I see, so which is the one interchangeable with the Steez SH (7.1)? Because it seems like the SS SV gears do not fit it either. Which makes it seem like the Steez SH has a different gear set altogether. :-k