Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm attempting to put together a bfs setup. I shouldn't but thought it could be fun. I got a ML finesse setup for lures in the 1/8-3/8 range so this would be for the possibility of throwing slightly lighter with a max of 1/4 oz most likely.

For the rod I've got the major craft MS-X MXC-64UL/BF on the way.

I have a Alphas sv105 and a PX68L both stock. While researching I've read both can throw 1/8 with the right rod and line. I've read the px68L can go a little lighter than that with the Ray's diy spool.

1. Is there a spool that I can put in the alphas to make throwing lighter weight even easier than the sv spool? (If you suggest cosugi works, or ktf kahen spools can you tell me where to find them)

2. Is there a better spool for throwing light weight with the px68L than the Ray's ? (I've read the finesse special is wild, the Zpi 301 is awesome but doesnt throw under 1/8oz, airy red spool is nice but does it throw lighter than the stock px68 spool?, If you recommend cosugi works or ktf can you tell me where to find one.)

3. Should I just buy a alphas air for $200 instead of trying to turn either if these reels into a bfs reel? Or will I need to upgrade the spool in the alphas air as well?

Whenever I look up bfs setups or under 1/8oz lures it seems a lot of Shimanos are very good at handling those lighter weights. However Ive already got the alphas sv105 and the PX68L so I was hoping for use one of them and I threw in the alphas air as an option because I like the way it looks, I've read good things about it, and I'm used to daiwa.

Thanks for your time.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 pm

There is also a Ray's spool for the Alphas. Honestly I would keep one of the two on the ML and use the new UL rod as an excuse to pick up a new reel. Maybe an ASC, Alphas CT or Alde BFS.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:09 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 pm
There is also a Ray's spool for the Alphas. Honestly I would keep one of the two on the ML and use the new UL rod as an excuse to pick up a new reel. Maybe an ASC, Alphas CT or Alde BFS.
Is the air stream custom better than the alphas air? How does the alphas ct compare to those two?

The alde bfs is one of the Shimanos I've been seeing a lot of people mention so I'll definitely look into it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 am

The Alphas AIR can be had for pretty cheap these days (under 200). I really like the Daiwa AIR reels as well as the new Shimano BFS reels with the FTB (finesse tuned brake).

The Ray's spools are nice but, dont have the level of refinement as trye BFS spools. Picking up a true BFS reel leaves the Pixy and Alphas for the "in between stuff".

The Air Stream Custom is a nice reel and as a package, priced pretty nice (carbon handle, BFS capabilities, cork knobs). The line capacity is a factor as it can be spooled pretty easy with 6lb line.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 am
The Alphas AIR can be had for pretty cheap these days (under 200). I really like the Daiwa AIR reels as well as the new Shimano BFS reels with the FTB (finesse tuned brake).

The Ray's spools are nice but, dont have the level of refinement as trye BFS spools. Picking up a true BFS reel leaves the Pixy and Alphas for the "in between stuff".

The Air Stream Custom is a nice reel and as a package, priced pretty nice (carbon handle, BFS capabilities, cork knobs). The line capacity is a factor as it can be spooled pretty easy with 6lb line.
Thanks for the info. I just watched a video on the asc (I think it was you). How much different Is the alphas air from the air stream custom? Besides line capacity and cosmetics (carbon handle, cork knobs, etc). Is the alphas air a true bfs reel like the ASC?

Thanks

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:23 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks for the info. I just watched a video on the asc (I think it was you). How much different Is the alphas air from the air stream custom? Besides line capacity and cosmetics (carbon handle, cork knobs, etc). Is the alphas air a true bfs reel like the ASC?

Thanks
The Alphas AIR is a true BFS reel. The ASC is a little better with the smallest of lures but, the with the weights you are throwing, either reel will work. Both reels are easy to maintain and most of the parts are shared with other Alphas platforms.

For me, I like the SS AIR (very similar casting to Alphas AIR) for my short range work with lighter plugs like the Rapala CD-1 and Xrap 04XR. I prefer it to the ASC gor that because it has less braking at slower spool speeds than the ASC. I like a fast spool and being able to have full control of my lure with the short range stream game. The Alphas AIR is a much better value than the SS AIR (unless you get one cheap and sell the knobs/handle).

Really cant go wrong.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm

If you're keeping it around 3/16 oz and not much lower, I'd just stick with the Alphas SV you have. If your intent is to go lower, grab the Alphas Air. PX68 is a really nice reel, but spool tech is dated. SV is going to give you much greater control, and from my experience, the PX68 can get moderately wild as you turn down the brakes. I haven't tried the finesse spool for it though. You MAY achieve greater distance with a quarter ounce on the PX68 - it's a caster for sure at that weight and up, but much below that, be prepared to work on your thumb skills. Another solid option is the Alphas CT SV 70 - reasonably priced.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm
If you're keeping it around 3/16 oz and not much lower, I'd just stick with the Alphas SV you have. If your intent is to go lower, grab the Alphas Air. PX68 is a really nice reel, but spool tech is dated. SV is going to give you much greater control, and from my experience, the PX68 can get moderately wild as you turn down the brakes.
I would agree, the PX68 with the stock spool is unforgiving with the brakes below 75%. It was also the reel I learned on, which in retrospect worked out well, but that first year I spent more in line then the (used) cost of the reel. It really wants a smooth and easy casting stroke, short/hard casts are going to be a challenge.

However, I feel like the sv105/Alphas SV is the most wild of the sv-spooled reels I have tried and I use my Alphas(es) for mostly 1/4-3/4oz presentations and still reach for a Pixy of some flavor when I want to go lower. For both reels, a DIY spool will let you cast lower weights with more control, provided you can deal with the more limited line capacity.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:23 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks
The Alphas AIR is a true BFS reel. The ASC is a little better with the smallest of lures but, the with the weights you are throwing, either reel will work. Both reels are easy to maintain and most of the parts are shared with other Alphas platforms.

For me, I like the SS AIR (very similar casting to Alphas AIR) for my short range work with lighter plugs like the . I prefer it to the ASC gor that because it has less braking at slower spool speeds than the ASC. I like a fast spool and being able to have full control of my lure with the short range stream game. The Alphas AIR is a much better value than the SS AIR (unless you get one cheap and sell the knobs/handle).

Really cant go wrong.
quote=Hogsticker2 post_id=663435 time=1571086365 user_id=10596]
If you're keeping it around 3/16 oz and not much lower, I'd just stick with the Alphas SV you have. If your intent is to go lower, grab the Alphas Air. PX68 is a really nice reel, but spool tech is dated. SV is going to give you much greater control, and from my experience, the PX68 can get moderately wild as you turn down the brakes. I haven't tried the finesse spool for it though. You MAY achieve greater distance with a quarter ounce on the PX68 - it's a caster for sure at that weight and up, but much below that, be prepared to work on your thumb skills. Another solid option is the Alphas CT SV 70 - reasonably priced.
[/quote]

1. Can the alphas ct sv 70 handle as light of weight and cast them as well as the alphas air? I like the look of the alphas air and as air better than the ASC (not into that green) but if the ASC was the best choice I'd get over it.

2. I don't know if the rod I bought can handle the
Rapala CD-1 and Xrap 04XR but I really like the look of those. Which reel would you guys pick to handle those types of lures between the ASC, the Alphas Air, Alphas CT 70, SS Air, SV Light Limited. Maybe your best choice for the money and number one choice if money wasn't an issue.

Thanks

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm
If you're keeping it around 3/16 oz and not much lower, I'd just stick with the Alphas SV you have. If your intent is to go lower, grab the Alphas Air. PX68 is a really nice reel, but spool tech is dated. SV is going to give you much greater control, and from my experience, the PX68 can get moderately wild as you turn down the brakes.
I would agree, the PX68 with the stock spool is unforgiving with the brakes below 75%. It was also the reel I learned on, which in retrospect worked out well, but that first year I spent more in line then the (used) cost of the reel. It really wants a smooth and easy casting stroke, short/hard casts are going to be a challenge.

However, I feel like the sv105/Alphas SV is the most wild of the sv-spooled reels I have tried and I use my Alphas(es) for mostly 1/4-3/4oz presentations and still reach for a Pixy of some flavor when I want to go lower. For both reels, a DIY spool will let you cast lower weights with more control, provided you can deal with the more limited line capacity.
My Alphas SV105 backlashed more than any other reel I own....and I wasn't trying to cast light lures. A trip to Ian cured that. Still haven't tried light lures with it, tho. I've got Pixies should I want to go below 3/16 oz. However, the one time I tried a 1/8 oz. spinnerbait (I know they weigh more) distance and accuracy suffered. I have no problem with 3/16 oz. Shad Raps using several different reels.

OP, I guess building a finesse reel versus buying one would depend on the base reel (for the build). I put a Presso spool in a Sol that had been tuned and upgraded (including ABEC9 bearings). I wound up buying a Pixy. Maybe it is just my skill level keeping the Sol from doing as well as some other reels.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:01 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm
My Alphas SV105 backlashed more than any other reel I own....and I wasn't trying to cast light lures. A trip to Ian cured that. Still haven't tried light lures with it, tho. I've got Pixies should I want to go below 3/16 oz. However, the one time I tried a 1/8 oz. spinnerbait (I know they weigh more) distance and accuracy suffered. I have no problem with 3/16 oz. Shad Raps using several different reels.
Do you know what was done to your Alphas? My friend swapped inductors and springs with a sv105 and a sv103 stock spool and says it greatly improves the performance of both, but I have yet to try it.

I will agree that a Pixy in stock form isn't great with 1/8oz but I have been using a stock Silver Mica with a Ray's in it as my trout bfs reel and it will do 1/8oz spinner and spoons like a champ while 1/16oz ones need playing-with-fire brake settings to really cast well.

I see the stock Pixies as being more suited for finesse plastics as you tend to still have higher weights and compact lures. A Ned rig made from a 1/16oz head and a TRD worm weights right about 3/16oz on the nose and that is about as psychically small as most finesse presentations get.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm

I can throw 2 gram cranks no problem with my SS Air and it has stock spool bearings. Of course, the custom Rainshadow Immmortal rod it is on has a lot to do with that, also.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm
I can throw 2 gram cranks no problem with my SS Air and it has stock spool bearings. Of course, the custom Rainshadow Immmortal rod it is on has a lot to do with that, also.
Well that's definitely the performance I'm looking for.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm
Well that's definitely the performance I'm looking for.
Sent you a PM.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:07 pm

An alphas air or alphas air stream custom is going to be your best value for casting light lures. The ZPI RC-301 and Cosugi Works spool will give you very good control and a little more line capacity but won't cast as light as the air stream custom.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious