Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Chris - I don't think you're going to see a whole lotta difference between the 70 and Air models. Maybe with a total weight of less than 1/8, the Air might get the nod. The SV Light Limited is right in that wheelhouse as well. They will all handle 1/8 plus small plastic on the right rod.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 pm
Chris - I don't think you're going to see a whole lotta difference between the 70 and Air models. Maybe with a total weight of less than 1/8, the Air might get the nod. The SV Light Limited is right in that wheelhouse as well. They will all handle 1/8 plus small plastic on the right rod.
Yeah I'm sure you are right.

I was thinking about throwing some 1/16-1/8 (2-4gram) rapala jerkbaits, the original rapala, and other light baits too. Sounds like I'm splitting hairs between a lot of these models . I'll probably just give what I have a try. Maybe keep any eye out for one of the left hand air reels in the classified.

Thanks

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm sure you guys are tired of me by now but one last question. Kind of hard to answer unless you have tried them. I've been digging up as many old posts as I can on them. Kind of seems silly to spend the money when the ASC can be had for around $250 and the Alphas Air used for $200 or less.

-How does the megabass zonda bfs spool perform in the Alphas (I have an sv but probably all similar).

-How does the Ize finesse special spool perform in the px68

Ian suggested finding the finesse special spool for the px68 and having it tuned. I also like the alphas sv and being able to switch spools between the sv, Sol, mb bfs, mb honeycomb would be nice if the zonda bfs isn't way too wild.

Feel like in the end I could save a good chunk of money just going with a new stock ASC or Alphas Air but then I don't get to mess with stuff.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 pm

FWIW I have my Alphas ASC mounted on that 64UL and it's an excellent match. My Air is on the 65L, and I have an SV Light on the 68ML. I use my SV105 on the 69M and it's well suited for that rod. I wouldn't really want to use it on any of the lighter powered models, though. It's a ML-M, 1/4-5/8 type reel as far as I'm concerned and it's so good at that there's no point in trying to shoehorn it into anything else aside from maybe using it with 16-20# fluoro strictly for pitching short lines to moderate to heavier cover. I could see a lot of potential for the SV105 there.

This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 pm
FWIW I have my Alphas ASC mounted on that 64UL and it's an excellent match. My Air is on the 65L, and I have an SV Light on the 68ML. I use my SV105 on the 69M and it's well suited for that rod. I wouldn't really want to use it on any of the lighter powered models, though. It's a ML-M, 1/4-5/8 type reel as far as I'm concerned and it's so good at that there's no point in trying to shoehorn it into anything else aside from maybe using it with 16-20# fluoro strictly for pitching short lines to moderate to heavier cover. I could see a lot of potential for the SV105 there.

Looks awesome. I actually saw that in another post and forgot about it. I'm looking to put a reel on s 6'4" mc msx so maybe the ASC is the one for me. We'll see.

If so I'm going to have a couple reels and spools for sale lol

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 pm
I'm sure you guys are tired of me by now but one last question. Kind of hard to answer unless you have tried them. I've been digging up as many old posts as I can on them. Kind of seems silly to spend the money when the ASC can be had for around $250 and the Alphas Air used for $200 or less.

-How does the megabass zonda bfs spool perform in the Alphas (I have an sv but probably all similar).

Ian suggested finding the finesse special spool for the px68 and having it tuned. I also like the alphas sv and being able to switch spools between the sv, Sol, mb bfs, mb honeycomb would be nice if the zonda bfs isn't way too wild.

Feel like in the end I could save a good chunk of money just going with a new stock ASC or Alphas Air but then I don't get to mess with stuff.
When Ian speaks, we listen. It's one thing if you already have one of those spools, otherwise this can get spendy. As and enthusiast and long time member of this forum, I still try to remind myself that the marginal performance increase, doesn't always equate to dollars spent. The ROI isn't always there, but the heart wants what the heart wants sometimes.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 pm

When Ian speaks, we listen. It's one thing if you already have one of those spools, otherwise this can get spendy. As and enthusiast and long time member of this forum, I still try to remind myself that the marginal performance increase, doesn't always equate to dollars spent. The ROI isn't always there, but the heart wants what the heart wants sometimes.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever read a bad thing about his work or what he recommends as far as tuning goes. There happened to be a px68 finesse special spool for sale when he recommended it to me so I did pick it up in case I go that route. He felt the px68 would be fine with bearings and a tune (for what I'm wanting to do with it) but if I could get that spool it would be even better.

Ive also found a few of the megabass zonda bfs spools but they can be half the cost of the ASC and more than half of the Alphas Air from what I'm seeing and like you said it might only be a marginal performance increase with either of those setups (from the stock reels they would be going in). Which seems kind of silly when you can grab one of the other 4 reels mentioned in this thread (ASC, Alphas Air, SS Air, SV light limited) and leave it the way it is.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Poisonoakie speaks truth. Picked up a airy red Zilla and paired it with a dx702. Fun to use. Honoring the “tt” way, I purchased a is 73 & sent it to dr Shields. Minor surgery and mb honeycomb spool: beautiful. Spool only saw tatsu. Upon board recommendation, bought a mb Themis. Beautiful,feather light6’7” stick. Cost easily twice what the airy red/702 did. Airy red is always in my boat. Rarely use the Themis/73. Bfs not for me so I put them up for sale. ROI is NOT the tt way!

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Dexter wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 pm
Poisonoakie speaks truth. Picked up a airy red Zilla and paired it with a dx702. Fun to use. Honoring the “tt” way, I purchased a is 73 & sent it to dr Shields. Minor surgery and mb honeycomb spool: beautiful. Spool only saw tatsu. Upon board recommendation, bought a mb Themis. Beautiful,feather light6’7” stick. Cost easily twice what the airy red/702 did. Airy red is always in my boat. Rarely use the Themis/73. Bfs not for me so I put them up for sale. ROI is NOT the tt way!
What do you use the airy red zilla for?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm

poisonokie wrote:

Between the alpha air and ASC would you pick the ASC for the 6'4" UL if you were only going with one setup ?

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 am

I use the Airy red/dx702 for just about anything under 3/8, but mostly worms & little tubes. Also smaller jerks. When I miss with what I’m tossing (unless it’s a pike strike), I’ll follow up with whatever is on the pixy. I don’t have to cast a mile, I personally believe it’s the change up in lures. Find an airy red with the original silver spool, hedgehog bearings and have fun. I also prefer a longer rod. Or... spend mucho and maybe gain 10 yards in distance and a major deficits. Just me...but it’s the TT way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm
poisonokie wrote:

Between the alpha air and ASC would you pick the ASC for the 6'4" UL if you were only going with one setup ?
This is just me but, I was using 4lb or less line, I would go with the ASC. You can sell the handle assembly to recoup some of the extra money if you wanted. The carbon handle and cork knobs would sell pretty easily.

I loved my ASC. However, mine jumped ship when I was driving from the lake...never to be seen again :doh:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

This is just me but, I was using 4lb or less line, I would go with the ASC. You can sell the handle assembly to recoup some of the extra money if you wanted. The carbon handle and cork knobs would sell pretty easily.

I loved my ASC. However, mine jumped ship when I was driving from the lake...never to be seen again :doh:
Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I didn't like the green side plates on the ASC (strange because I like the TD Ito 103, zonda illusion green, and even the curado 201e7 I have) but it's starting to grow on me. We'll see.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am

I have a purple cosugo works spool in my 105SV and it does everything I could ask of it with baits down to a 2" fin s fish on a 1/16 head, which is as far as I want to go. I have it on a speedstyle light power, with the spliced tip and it's a nice versatile outfit with a bit more backbone. My friend Karl found me the spool, no idea where, maybe some Japanese auction site? I was dribbling after using his Alphas KTF, which was utterly faultless and he said he thought the Cosugi spool could work pretty similarly in my SV. It's 99% as good and plenty good enough for me.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Yes, but I also wouldn't ever throw anything over 1/8oz with it. Also, I slowed my ASC down with 5.8 gears as I use that setup for spoons and hardbaits. If you stick with 5# or less fluoro or 10# or less braid, which is right in that rod's wheelhouse, the ASC is perfect. If you want to go with lines over 6#/15# or you want to throw heavier weights up to 1/4, I'd go with the Air. The 65L MS-X is better for that stuff, though.
This is the way.