Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 am
What was the outcome of this thread
Buy both!

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 am
goldrod wrote:
Buy both!
That's always the answer though isn't it? Lol

I could be wrong but I believe most people said the newer bfs specific reels (alphas air, alphas ASC, and now the alphas air tw, gekkabijin air tw pe special or new ASC would probably be best) were better for going under 1/8 and the old alphas/pixy with bfs spools we're better for finesse (1/8-1/4oz). I know I ended up with the pixy i'ze finesse spool in a px68, a cosugi, and a Megabass zonda bfs spool in an alphas SV. I liked them all. I think I liked the cosugi works spool the best.

I ended up selling all 3 but now I have a few zpi 301 spools for finesse (not bfs). I also have a ktf v2 finesse spool for the old alphas that I haven't tried, and I ended up buying another megabass zonda bfs spool for an alphas/airy red look alike project.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm
ss30378 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Buy both!
That's always the answer though isn't it? Lol

I could be wrong but I believe most people said the newer bfs specific reels (alphas air, alphas ASC, and now the alphas air tw, gekkabijin air tw pe special or new ASC would probably be best) were better for going under 1/8 and the old alphas/pixy with bfs spools we're better for finesse (1/8-1/4oz). I know I ended up with the pixy i'ze finesse spool in a px68, a cosugi, and a Megabass zonda bfs spool in an alphas SV. I liked them all. I think I liked the cosugi works spool the best.

I ended up selling all 3 but now I have a few zpi 301 spools for finesse (not bfs). I also have a ktf v2 finesse spool for the old alphas that I haven't tried, and I ended up buying another megabass zonda bfs spool for an alphas/airy red look alike project.
I’m not sure about a KTF in an alphas but the one I have for a steez is pretty good. I’m highly interested in your findings as I tend to stand somewhere between finesse and BFS.
I’ve had some interesting things happen as well I recently put a Megabass honeycomb spool in an IS73 and it now sits atop my sensor rod and that’s brought an even bigger smile to my face. My TDZ reel with the Megabass finesse spool is for dropshot. Although dropshot fish don’t necessarily take a lot of line I’m looking to have a bit more capacity than my aldebaran KTF combo and just see how I like the TDZ.

You could probably buy a reel suited for any need but it’s the putting things together and getting a desired outcome that just gets my jig to jiggling.
So that keeps me evolving and coming back. I’ll be standing by to hear of your finding
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 am

Keep in mind that the magnets in a Zonda are stronger than a stock Alphas. That Cosugi might free up a bit more in the SV105.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 am
Keep in mind that the magnets in a Zonda are stronger than a stock Alphas. That Cosugi might free up a bit more in the SV105.
Been waiting for you at this party..
What are your top 7 BFS reels and Top 7 Finesse reels and Top 5 reels that walk the line between both really well? ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:23 pm

ss30378 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Buy both!
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>
The only real way to find out anything in life

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:48 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:01 pm
new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm
My Alphas SV105 backlashed more than any other reel I own....and I wasn't trying to cast light lures. A trip to Ian cured that. Still haven't tried light lures with it, tho. I've got Pixies should I want to go below 3/16 oz. However, the one time I tried a 1/8 oz. spinnerbait (I know they weigh more) distance and accuracy suffered. I have no problem with 3/16 oz. Shad Raps using several different reels.
Do you know what was done to your Alphas? My friend swapped inductors and springs with a sv105 and a sv103 stock spool and says it greatly improves the performance of both, but I have yet to try it.
Don't know why I never got back to this thread. Work done by Ian on my SV105.

Quote, "I tuned the spool's inductor on this reel, so that the spool will be a little bit faster for you. I have done this to many of these reels, and have had nothing but positive feedback regarding this mod"

Ian did a full tuning polish, Carbontex drag kit, ZPI SiC spool bearings, spool inductor tuning and worm shaft bearing and collar.

Totally different animal now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:02 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:48 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:01 pm
new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm
My Alphas SV105 backlashed more than any other reel I own....and I wasn't trying to cast light lures. A trip to Ian cured that. Still haven't tried light lures with it, tho. I've got Pixies should I want to go below 3/16 oz. However, the one time I tried a 1/8 oz. spinnerbait (I know they weigh more) distance and accuracy suffered. I have no problem with 3/16 oz. Shad Raps using several different reels.
Do you know what was done to your Alphas? My friend swapped inductors and springs with a sv105 and a sv103 stock spool and says it greatly improves the performance of both, but I have yet to try it.
Don't know why I never got back to this thread. Work done by Ian on my SV105.

Quote, "I tuned the spool's inductor on this reel, so that the spool will be a little bit faster for you. I have done this to many of these reels, and have had nothing but positive feedback regarding this mod"

Ian did a full tuning polish, Carbontex drag kit, ZPI SiC spool bearings, spool inductor tuning and worm shaft bearing and collar.

Totally different animal now.

He does really good work for sure I’ve had someone on this board tuned my IS73 and I have a mega bass honeycomb spool in it and it just sings

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm
adam lancia wrote:
What are your top 7 BFS reels and Top 7 Finesse reels and Top 5 reels that walk the line between both really well? ?
7 for each...!!!! :shock: :shock:

For me, I guess there's a massive grey area between where I reach for a spinning reel versus a baitcaster. Floating Rapala's, inline spinners, and really any other really light or unaerodynamic lure gets tossed with a spinning reel.

5-10g would be my finesse range I guess. For that, I have:

OG Steez with a tuned SV105 (Ray's gold inductor, stiffer spring) for unweighted flukes on a light wire 3/0 EWG

Alphas CT SV for 1/8 jigheads with a small plastic trailing a double blade rig of some sort.

SV Light LTD for Neko's, Ned's, and hairjigs.

Alphas R Edition with an SDS spool. This setup behaves similarly to the SV Light LTD, just with a more gradual transition from controlled to fluffing to blowing up.

Pixy Airy Red with a PX68 Finesse spool for when I'm feeling brave with some sub 7g lures. I have some 4# Yo-Zuri Hybrid on it so if (when lol) I blow it up, I'm not paying a fortune to respool it. I don't use this for anything that is really unaerodynamic though.

Pixy Airy Red with a ZPI CP301 for general, heavier finesse presentations, likely trout related. I really like the control of this combo, especially above 5g.

Pixy Airy Red with the stock spool. I usually have this along for the ride just incase, but I actually really like it for short range pitching 7g and up. Straight up casting is a fun spool but catches my dumb thumb off guard sometimes.

This isn't really a ranking and I haven't tried all the available finesse spools out there, but that's what I've kept over the years.

Hope that helps.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:33 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm
adam lancia wrote:
7 for each...!!!! :shock: :shock:
Can't make that number either. I cast 3/16 oz. (5.3g) with several reels, but need to practice to get lower. I have 2 of the older gold colored Carbonlites and a tuned TD-Z 105H that I used to learn to cast #5 Shad Raps. I now have 2 more 105Hs. A stock PXL Type R, PX68L, Airy Red, Ian tuned Airy Red w/Carbontex drag, ZPI SiC spool bearings, 7.2:1 gears and PX68 worm shaft.

Have a tuned Sol with a Presso spool and upgraded bearings, but I haven't used it since learning to cast 3/16 oz. Stock Curado 51E and tuned one with upgraded bearings. Three Black Max 1600Cs. Don't know how light they will go, but I've cast a small fluke on a bare 3/0 directly into a fairly strong wind with good results. Don't know if my Morrum SX 1601C and 1600C will do as well as the Black Max.

The SV105HSL, Tatula SV103HL, Steez SV103H should get below 3/16 oz. if I do my part. Because of the above reels I don't feel the need to try going light with some of my other reels, but a few might do at least as low as 3/16 oz. An Alphas ito 103-Ai, 3 Purple Alphas, tuned Alphas Type F, a stock Sol, Scorpion 1001 4x4 SVS, Scorpion MG and SLX MGL. I've read that the Elite Longcast can go pretty light. Elite was purchased as a 'Blem', but can barely turn the handle, so it has to go out for repair which means I most likely will get it tuned and upgraded while out. If what others have said can hold true for me as well, then I have a couple Lew's that should also cast down to 3/16 oz.

What do you consider a finesse weight? I might have more finesse reels than I realized. :big grin:

EDIT: The problem is finding enough rods to use all those reels on for lures that light. I have more MH rods than any other power.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:57 am

Love my PX68L with Rays/Ize/ASC spool and the old Alphas AIR with Rays spool. Dislike both with stock spool.
However, the other day I rekindled love for my PX68L SPR after removing one of the centrifugal brakes… now I get better distance and still effortless. ❤️