Daiwa Alphas Air TW 2020

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Alphas Air TW 2020

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 am

The curado bfs is a great reel but like the other guy said i prefer my alpha air tw as well. But the curado is really a good reel to use on light rod applications and for the price you cant beat it.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Just received one of these today! I must say that first impressions have been mostly good. 35M of 3# mono, spool set just free, 1.6 gram jighead/micro bait, and 4'6" Shakespeare Microcast rod equals a fairly consistent 20M cast. Not too shabby for stock but of course more distance would always be better. What amazed me a bit was that I was all the way down to 4 on the brakes before I could get it to backlash. I'm waiting for a standard inductor Roro spool and I'm looking for a drag clicker kit. I'm guessing the Roro spool(fixed inductor I believe?) will help more with lighter weights and not as much with distance. Does anyone have some "tricks" or a spool setup combination that really makes this great reel even spicier? Obviously, I can't wait to throw it on a real 6' BFS rod and see what kind of distance I can do with that...

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:32 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobie can shed some light, check his YouTube content, he goes pretty extensively into all things Roro and the '20 AATW. I absolutely love mine stock but I also have some other ideas to invest wise as it already zips my lightest(heavy for some) way above satisfactory distance. I have mine on 5 for braking and is nuts with 4lb P-Line CXX mono and you have line capacity still(subjective of course)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 am

I love mine. I have a couple of Roro spools to fit it and the Steez Air, but I mainly use it stock as performance is great for me - tossing 2.5 to 5 gram lures for large trout. I am sure it will go lower, but I have no need.
Rod matters a whole lot…

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 am

Freddie wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:22 pm
Just received one of these today! I must say that first impressions have been mostly good. 35M of 3# mono, spool set just free, 1.6 gram jighead/micro bait, and 4'6" Shakespeare Microcast rod equals a fairly consistent 20M cast. Not too shabby for stock but of course more distance would always be better. What amazed me a bit was that I was all the way down to 4 on the brakes before I could get it to backlash. I'm waiting for a standard inductor Roro spool and I'm looking for a drag clicker kit. I'm guessing the Roro spool(fixed inductor I believe?) will help more with lighter weights and not as much with distance. Does anyone have some "tricks" or a spool setup combination that really makes this great reel even spicier? Obviously, I can't wait to throw it on a real 6' BFS rod and see what kind of distance I can do with that...
I really like the Roro for lightweight and stream casting. The fixed inductor isn't like others that I have used that tend to be over-braked in short casting situations. I prefer the stock spool for traditional BFS bass fishing lures. Roro is gonna be shipping out the Alphas AIR TW spools really soon as well. I am running standard braking in mine. It is a fast spool but, controlled at the same time.

Drag Clicker: I got one of the Sagisi Customs clicking sets. He is making them a little different and can have them about 30% less expensive than before. Definitely worth the upgrade.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 am
Freddie wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:22 pm
I really like the Roro for lightweight and stream casting. The fixed inductor isn't like others that I have used that tend to be over-braked in short casting situations. I prefer the stock spool for traditional BFS bass fishing lures. Roro is gonna be shipping out the Alphas AIR TW spools really soon as well. I am running standard braking in mine. It is a fast spool but, controlled at the same time.

Drag Clicker: I got one of the Sagisi Customs clicking sets. He is making them a little different and can have them about 30% less expensive than before. Definitely worth the upgrade.
Talking about Drag Clicker, i just placed 2 orders for the new kit 😁

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Talking about Drag Clicker, i just placed 2 orders for the new kit 😁
[/quote]

Thank you for the support John!

I was able to gather what I've learned from the first run of clickers and get manufacturing costs down. New V2 kits are about 35% less than the first run without sacrificing on quality or performance. Clicker ring is now injection molded in house using 30% carbon nylon. The material is extremely tough. Clicker sound and feel is near identical to the Steez CT. The drag washer is type 2 anodized. Fits both 20 Alphas Air TW and 21 Alphas SV TW. Can be purchased at sagisicustoms.com

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:13 am

Perfect, this is what I’m looking for!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:17 pm

Just have to say Ryan is a squared away cat. I am in on the OG clicker, but he thought enough to get me into the newer style. Now I have to get another reel :crying: He has a sweet operation folks, we chatted a bit about Machining and the love of high end specifically JDM reels. He seems to have a nice fan base on here obviously, hard to not notice those gems he has housed. Keep them coming =D>

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:44 am

I just received my SagisiCustoms drag clicker kit for this reel and installed and used it yesterday. It works great. On another note, I'm not so excited about the stock handle that came with the Alphas Air. Can someone point me in the right direction for some nice carbon handle options?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am

Freddie wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:44 am
I just received my SagisiCustoms drag clicker kit for this reel and installed and used it yesterday. It works great. On another note, I'm not so excited about the stock handle that came with the Alphas Air. Can someone point me in the right direction for some nice carbon handle options?
The Sagisi Customs clicker is worth it for sure.

For handles, there are a ton of high end and also budget friendly options. Gomexus or however you spell it makes nice looking handles for not much money. There are some pricey but very nice handles like ZPI over on Japan Tackle. It's a good place to look to at least get an idea of what you want. I wouldn't go over 90mm for the AIR

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:23 pm

Be careful using mono on a BFS spool, the stretch puts consistent pressure that can cause spool deformation.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:23 pm
Be careful using mono on a BFS spool, the stretch puts consistent pressure that can cause spool deformation.
I have never had an issue using mono. I do make sure I wind the line on with light pressure to prevent issues though.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:31 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
I have never had an issue using mono. I do make sure I wind the line on with light pressure to prevent issues though.
Fair enough, me neither, I have never tried or used it, just a rumor I have heard and seen on a few Aliexpress pages.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:31 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fair enough, me neither, I have never tried or used it, just a rumor I have heard and seen on a few Aliexpress pages.
Spools can be crushed winding mono too tight onto it. I remember Sagisi Customs had a KTF crush on him.