Magforce-Z induction activation revolutions?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aavery2
Angler
Angler

Re: Magforce-Z induction activation revolutions?

Post by aavery2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:17 pm
aavery2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:31 pm
Also with air brake it is not at the inductor is attracted to the magnets but that the force acting upon the inductor makes the two ramps slide away from each other and one ramp is free to move while the other is fixed in place. This causes the inductor to extend.
Last post for me as we are getting nowhere. Centrifigual force is what moves the ramps and causes the inductor to extend. I showed you a video of this. Remember the spool in the dremel, no magnets anywhere but yet the inductor extended.

Think we are deadlocked my friend, might take a look at the post Tim made.
I tried with my Dremel and the inductor on my spool didn't even move at 30 000 RPM
Maybe you should try it by yourself and let us know your results.
If you would have bothered to read the thread you would have found a video posted. Anyway think what you want, no skin off my teeth.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:03 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am
aavery2 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 pm
This image is from Daiwa on the operation of Air Brakes (SV)

If you follow this link half way down the page you will see an SV spool in a dremel spinning with the inductor fully extending and retracting using only centrifugal force. Magnets do not appear to be needed for this system to operate just as Z and V.

https://www.lafishblog.com/daiwas-air-brake-system/
I'm sure it can activate without the magnets present at a high enough rpm but the presence and intensity of the magnetic field allows them to extend at very low spools speeds where there is very small centrifugal force at work.

I'll ask again, do you not have any SV spools? This is very easy to verify for yourself in seconds. You can set the dial to max and flick the spool and hear the inductor extend and seat. As you scroll down on the dial you have to flick it harder and harder to get it hear the inductor. As you get low on the dial its becomes impossible to flick the spool hard enough to hear the inductor. With the ported Ray's spools you can actually see the the two white ramps through the porting on the spool as the spool spins. A hard flick at high mag dial will allow you to catch a glimpse of the inductor side Air Brake ramp sliding back and mating to the spool side ramp. With the Ray's it is harder to observe due to the thinner and inductor and stiffer spring. They extend at higher spool speeds and retract more quickly.
Very well noted. =D>

Just wanted to praise your persistence in bringing the truth to this matter.
It's a great sigh of respect for society and human kind. It would have been so much easier to just seat quietly and watch the show.
At least I was right on that one thing. I was dead wrong about Magforce Z and V inductor extension being anything other than purely centrifugal. Knowledge s power.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

aavery2 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:09 pm
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm
aavery2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am

Sorry but we will have to disagree here, for a magnet to have an attractive force on the extension of the inductor it is going to have to act on something that is also magnetic, iron, nickel, cobalt. Aluminum is not magnetic and that is what your inductor is made from. As far as I can tell there is not a magnetic part in an SV spool assembly. I have showed you pictures of how this spool works right from Daiwa, if you have any evidence other than opinion please share it so we can all be he wiser.
Maybe you should read this before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

Just think how the other daiwa spool work. None have Iron, nickel or cobalt in the inductor and yet, the brake works.
Read the thread and then get back with me.
I provide you with video evidence of mag brake setting driven Air Brake inductor activation.
https://youtu.be/IHpOjoip0ak

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Post by aavery2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm
aavery2 wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
aavery2 wrote:

Sorry but we will have to disagree here, for a magnet to have an attractive force on the extension of the inductor it is going to have to act on something that is also magnetic, iron, nickel, cobalt. Aluminum is not magnetic and that is what your inductor is made from. As far as I can tell there is not a magnetic part in an SV spool assembly. I have showed you pictures of how this spool works right from Daiwa, if you have any evidence other than opinion please share it so we can all be he wiser.

Just think how the other daiwa spool work. None have Iron, nickel or cobalt in the inductor and yet, the brake works.
I provide you with video evidence of mag brake setting driven Air Brake inductor activation.
All I can see in the video is that the spools has much lower rotational speed with the magnets set to high than it does with magnets set to the lowest setting. Is there something else I should notice in the video?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:26 am

aavery2 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm
aavery2 wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
aavery2 wrote:

All I can see in the video is that the spools has much lower rotational speed with the magnets set to high than it does with magnets set to the lowest setting. Is there something else I should notice in the video?
Look at the black air brake ramps that can be seen through the porting on the spool as it spins. The separation is visible when the silver of the spool shaft becomes visible between the two ramps on the left side of the spool. You have to know what you are looking for in order to see it. I have pics attached below.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am

Screenshots from the video
Attachments
20200808_083903_copy_640x554.jpg
20200808_083903_copy_640x554.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
20200808_083846_copy_694x559.jpg
20200808_083846_copy_694x559.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 5001 times

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Post by aavery2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 am

I think I can see what you are refering to in the video. Have you tried duplicating this at lower than max brake settings, something closer to what would normally be used while fishing? It is interesting and something I have never been able to see with the SV spools that I own. In my head I imagine a lot more counter EMF would be necessary to hold the inductor stationary until it could twist and extend, but your video has me re-thinking some things. Thanks for the share.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 pm

aavery2 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 am
I think I can see what you are refering to in the video. Have you tried duplicating this at lower than max brake settings, something closer to what would normally be used while fishing? It is interesting and something I have never been able to see with the SV spools that I own. In my head I imagine a lot more counter EMF would be necessary to hold the inductor stationary until it could twist and extend, but your video has me re-thinking some things. Thanks for the share.
Yes and it is really interesting. At what I would call normal dial sitting (middle) it extends less distance and returns then goes into free spool. At max brake it retracts almost at the same time the spool comes to a stop. It blew me away how long that thing stays out at max brake. At 0 you see a teeny tiny gap from what I am assuming is just from the finger flick but it goes away almost as soon as it appears. I wonder how casting stroke affects these spools? Do hard casts to force more distance actually make it brake disproportionally more than a more gentile cast?

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:51 pm

I’m going to resurrect this because this just totally makes sense here. I didn’t understand air break/SV brakes until now. This also makes me want to get a magforce z spool for my new zillion.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:41 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 pm
aavery2 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 am
Yes and it is really interesting. At what I would call normal dial sitting (middle) it extends less distance and returns then goes into free spool. At max brake it retracts almost at the same time the spool comes to a stop. It blew me away how long that thing stays out at max brake. At 0 you see a teeny tiny gap from what I am assuming is just from the finger flick but it goes away almost as soon as it appears. I wonder how casting stroke affects these spools? Do hard casts to force more distance actually make it brake disproportionally more than a more gentile cast?
In the beginning of cast spool accelerates fast and it creates torque to activation ramp, which allows Air inductor to twist, and it extends inductor to 'out' position. Then selected Magforce setting and spool revolutions creates braking force, which creates torque to activating ramp, and there comes also axial force component. Inductor stays extended until spiring force wins generated axial component. In low Magforce setting braking moment is low and inductor comes back in much earlier than with high Magforce settings. Magforce setting in sv spool dictates revolutions where inductor retracts.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:16 am

Not Magforce-Z, but sv-Boost:
https://jdmfishing.com/vault/boost-system/

Daiwa tells some revolutions:

The induct rotor of SV BOOST reaches the braking force 2, that is, stage 3 at once during the full cast. Spool rotation 15000 rpm (* 1 minute rotation speed) or more instantly applies braking force to control excessive rotation.
A weak braking force is applied in the range of 5000 rpm to prevent excessive line emission, and it is completely turned off just before landing.

Silly that they haven't said a word of acceleration. I concider that also sv-Boost spools inductor is launched by acceleration generated moment and twisting action in the inductor ramp. But maybe Daiwa marketing persons have thought that's not important :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:37 am

Freddie wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:51 pm
I’m going to resurrect this because this just totally makes sense here. I didn’t understand air break/SV brakes until now. This also makes me want to get a magforce z spool for my new zillion.
But which one? Magforce Z spools have their own unique braking profiles from heavy braking to fast spools.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:37 am
Freddie wrote:
But which one? Magforce Z spools have their own unique braking profiles from heavy braking to fast spools.
For me, the og steez 100 spool was a great distance caster.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:12 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:37 am
Freddie wrote:
For me, the og steez 100 spool was a great distance caster.
Isn't that a Type R? Those were a but fast in the old week magnet Steez. I bet they are good in a modern Steez platform.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:47 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:12 am
Isn't that a Type R? Those were a but fast in the old week magnet Steez. I bet they are good in a modern Steez platform.
No, the 100 came with a purple inductor like the one on the silver 34mm Steez HLC spool. The 103 spool is the one that came with an R+ inductor.