Can we talk Alpha for a second

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Can we talk Alpha for a second

Post by goldrod » Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 pm

If I’m correct the TD Advantage is the same platform as the alpha.
What spool options are there other than stock and is there such a thing as an Alphazilla?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Can we talk Alpha for a second

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm

The term coined here on this site was "Alphasaurus". The TD Advantage and the JDM Alphas 150 share the same frame. Then the TD Sol and the Alphas 103/105 share the same frame. There was a shallower stock spool from one of the JDM variants built on the 150 frame, but I cant remember which model. There are several options for the Alphas platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm
The term coined here on this site was "Alphasaurus". The TD Advantage and the JDM Alphas 150 share the same frame. Then the TD Sol and the Alphas 103/105 share the same frame. There was a shallower stock spool from one of the JDM variants built on the 150 frame, but I cant remember which model. There are several options for the Alphas platform.
Thanks Tim
Saw a alpha finesse for $160 and was contemplating
Not sure what direction I would go. I like to have a vision before buying a reel even if it becomes a nightmare. I’ll pM you later and see what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thanks Tim
Not sure what direction I would go. I like to have a vision before buying a reel even if it becomes a nightmare. I’ll pM you later and see what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance
What are you wanting to do with said alphas? Upgrade performance, add bling?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thanks Tim
What are you wanting to do with said alphas? Upgrade performance, add bling?

Hey guys
First off Thanks Tim. I appreciate it. Delivered lunch to the wife and she was happy.
Mr. Spencerinstl,

The reels in quest were the finesse custom and the sv I think it’s the 105 if I’m not mistaken. Same platform but the conversation I had earlier I realized that they both have two different gear ratio. So I was looking at the 6.8:1 and the 7.2:1 respectively.
I was looking to pitch with the reel and looking at alternative spool options as well. Now to be fully transparent at some point I would probably add a long arm drag star cf handle at a minimum. I wasn’t sure of all the upgrades that could be done and the money spent in making either or both what I wanted or needed.

In short I was considering either or both for pitching duties on a 7’1” X7 rod
Tim mentioned the likelihood of transitioning from a pitch to a cast in the equation and how one would have the edge over the other. Plus weight and I didn’t really consider that at first.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue May 26, 2020 2:39 pm

If your wanting a swept handle, 7.2:1 and a sv spool that is going to be better for skipping and pitching, your better off getting a SV 105 because it comes with that already. The sv 105/alphas/sol reel is smaller than the alphas 150 reel. Is it going to have the line capacity for that 7'1" X7 rod its not exactly a finesse rod? What about looking for a sv 103 if you could find one?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 7:38 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:39 pm
If your wanting a swept handle, 7.2:1 and a sv spool that is going to be better for skipping and pitching, your better off getting a SV 105 because it comes with that already. The sv 105/alphas/sol reel is smaller than the alphas 150 reel. Is it going to have the line capacity for that 7'1" X7 rod its not exactly a finesse rod? What about looking for a sv 103 if you could find one?
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 pm
Sorry but you are not correct. Different platforms. Different spool widths and diameters.
The gears might be interchangeable as some other parts but I'm not sure which.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sorry but you are not correct. Different platforms. Different spool widths and diameters.
Thanks

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 am

I have that stock spool from the 105 finesse custom. It's pretty nice; bombs flukes on 6 lb. Hybrid. I dont pitch with it but I could try it.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 am

CGrinder wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 am
I have that stock spool from the 105 finesse custom. It's pretty nice; bombs flukes on 6 lb. Hybrid. I dont pitch with it but I could try it.
The finesse custom has a decent spool. It can cast down to about 1/8 oz. The SV 105 is going to be better for skipping.
I guess it comes down to do you want 6.8:1 gears and a little freer spool or 7.2:1 gears with a swept handle and a sv spool.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaalphasfinesse.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaalphassv.html

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun May 31, 2020 11:51 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 pm
goldrod wrote:
There is the odd Alphas 150, which is a huge reel that iirc is the same as the USDM TD Advantage. I own one as I got confused when tackle-fetishism first took hold and saw one on eaby for $75. I was very displeased when I opened the box.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am

Alpha air tws and the previous model without tws and has the red spool ( I think it was an sv spool? )/ are the spools compatible?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:18 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am
Alpha air tws and the previous model without tws and has the red spool ( I think it was an sv spool? )/ are the spools compatible?
Alphas Air TW spool is 28mm. I'm guessing you're talking Alphas CT as the previous model? That's a 30mm spool.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:18 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am
Alphas Air TW spool is 28mm. I'm guessing you're talking Alphas CT as the previous model? That's a 30mm spool.
Thanks man.
That was fast!