What is wrong with Quantum

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

What is wrong with Quantum

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm

I don't see many people here fishing their gear, or, at least, talking about it.
Is there something wrong with their stuff?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What is wrong with Quantum

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 am

I have 2009 Quantum Energy PT burner. In my opinion it's well made tough little reel. Cranking is smooth. It's very low, and palms good. But it's wide and machinery side is heavy. Casting performance is something between horrible and very good. Casting brake has only 4 positions and none of these is good for my fishing. So I must make fine tuning by spool tension, which is disappointment in a such expensive reel.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantum ... lspre.html

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 am

I like their flippin switch reels for walleye vertical jigging. I’m a Shimano & Daiwa guy, but my Tour MG’s (now discontinued 🤦‍♂️) are great reels and super light.

I thought their previous exo reels were nice too. Quantum’s drags, especially on their higher end spinners, were borderline excellent.

Skeeter TZX 200
Angler
Angler

Post by Skeeter TZX 200 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:53 am

for a long time the sideplate stuck out very far making it very uncomfortable to palm on most of there reels. The 4 setting brake was terrible to say the least. Also on several of there new models reels they would make them heavier than the old model. other than that they seem to be solid reels

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 am

I have the S3 Smoke PT KVD reel, and its a great casting, and stellar smooth reel. Palms like my 50E reels./
<")))><{

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm
I don't see many people here fishing their gear, or, at least, talking about it.
Is there something wrong with their stuff?
I learned how to use a bait caster with a Quantum reel.
I really liked that reel and it served me well. I think that the reason you may not see it mentioned a lot on here is because I don’t know how much “upgrading” or cosmetic changes you can do to them. Not that they aren’t good or even great reels but in my limited experience with them there’s just not a lot you can do with them say like on a TDZ PLATFORM or even the old cores or zillions.

It’s like going to a car show, you’ll see dodge enthusiast and mustang enthusiasts but everyone knows that Tesla are the fastest if you remember to charge them up before track day.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Markymarc
Angler
Angler

Post by Markymarc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am

Just not build to last.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Markymarc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am
Just not build to last.
They were built by Ford?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

When I bought Quantum PT Burner I thought it is proudly Made in USA. And I dind't know how horrible 4 set casting brake is. But manufacturing quality seems good anyway. Maybe I just have to get over of using spool tension as fine tuning casting brake.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Markymarc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am
Just not build to last.
My sentiment as well. It's been quite some time since I owned a Quantum. The 3 I had went boobies up within a year. Maybe do a search. I recall an old Quantum thread, similar to this one. It was pretty long, and relatively negative.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Why bother when there's daiwa, shimano and megabass. Abu for cheap in used condition is also a good alternative, but only used and for cheap, never new for their outrageous msrp prices.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 pm

I gave them a shot but wont buy again. I just bought a new Tour S3 during 50% off sale glad I didnt pay more.
I have an issue with it already it buzzes quite loudly on casts. The harder the cast the louder/longer the buzzing. It gets quite annoying after just a few casts. If setting the brake down to 6-5-4 its buzz crazy. With higher brake setting the buzz goes away but then so does distance. Tried oiling the drum the brake pins ride on but that didnt work. I checked a few videos and I hear the same noise so dont know if its worth the hassle to return it cause it may be inherent with the brake system.

In general I havent had much luck with newer non shimano purchases Tour S3 buzzes, Tat SV screeches, SV105 spool inductor/brake dial issue, BB1 Pro knobs/levelwind/noise on cast too along with Okuma Helios.
The only "newerish" reels not giving me issues are the 2 curado 70's I have and would trade the Tour S3 for another 70 easily, the 70 is a better reel.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 am

I wish Daiwa or Shimano would incorporate a flipping switch similar to Quantum on a mid to high-end reel. For me it’s very niche and not bass related, but a man can dream, right? 🤣

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 am

I am sure they make ok reels for the average angler. But for TT members and enthusiasts they fall short in many area. They don’t have limited offerings, nothing of great value in terms of collectibility, you don’t have all the fun spool options, no BFS options, not many aftermarket parts, no JDM appeal, etc.

I did an experiment with a few quantum’s about 8-10 years ago. Bought a pair of Quantum Escalade reels at a Dicks Sporting Goods on sale for around $60 each and I believe they were normally $100. First year I used one with braid for frog fishing. I was getting great distance and had no complaints. In the second year of frog fishing it felt like a coffee grinder. The second one I used 2 seasons for jig fishing and it felt even more grindy. I sent one in to a reel shop and he recommended new gears but said I would be looking at about $30 a set with shipping. That is half of what I bought the reel for so I passed on it and just gave them to a guy that was starting out fishing to practice on.

Before that I had some Quantum Energy Spinning Reels from the 90s. They worked well but one had a bail issue.

Overall Quantum is now a hard pass for me and something I wouldn’t recommend or consider no matter how good the deal.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:54 am

ska4fun wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:03 am
Quantum is only worth of money over their PT series, quite good reels.

Both my Energy HPT and Icon are dealing with peacock basses, snooks and baby tarpons without any complaints. My poor energy is the reel I carry when descending my local river rocky banks and canyons, looking for peacock basses hidden spots.

It's interesting to see the some of same people complaining over Quantum build quality being the ones whitewashing shimano low-quality duralumin alloy, defective/ungluing thumb bars, downgrading AR systems...

I was always under the impression that they made superb spinning reels but not so much baitcasters in terms of smoothness, durability, reliability and functionality.

Is there anyone else who was under the same impression?