Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:49 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:00 am
Did you service it, Daiwa US, or The Tackle Trap. I bet TTT fixes you right up.
SSS wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:32 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:36 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:16 pm
Well just got the new Zillion in. Makes me ashamed of Steez A. The Zillion is great, palms well, everything feels good. Paint seems okay, just going to be careful with it as possible. I'm just begging for help now concerning my Steez... these two reels are supposed to be similar in retrieve but mine feels wrong. If no solution I might just get another of these Zillions or even the Alphas. Would love to get a Metanium 2020 and compare that to the Zillion in a long review...
The steez feeling wrong in what way?
There is like a tick when retrieving, but only on the water while pulling line. If I give it heavier pressure, you normally don't feel it. Sometimes it is more smooth than the new Zillion, other times it feels like a sub 100 reel. I found the stock Steez A spool has a thicker shaft so I tried it and got the same result!!! Going crazy over this.
I have the exact same issue with my steez tw and an alphas :strface: Didin't service the Steez, but i did service the Alphas and its not gone. Have read multiple people having this issue, but none with how to fix it.
Gonna try and see if they will help. It is a JDM model though. Daiwa will sometimes help anyways. I have: 1 Tatula R, 2 Zillion TWS, 1 SV105 alphas, 2 Zillion SVTWs, Chronarch MGL, 1 ss/sv, new Zillion SV G, and the Steez A. All of my reels are fine aside of the Steez doing this. Embarrassing the most expensive acts this way. I worked on it all night last night. Smooth as butter in hand. The second you actually cast a lure though, that faintest tick appears. Still disappears on some casts.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 am

I haven’t had the best luck with Daiwa US repair service. I would send to Bryan at The Tackle Trap. They will work on JDM stuff, just might have to wait a little longer for obscure parts not available in the US. Well worth it.

I still need to send them my 3000 TD Advantage spinning reel that Daiwa US charged me to fix a tick at the bottom of its stroke, and didn’t fix it at all… I have 4 of those reels I’m keeping for my boys to beat the hell out of :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:10 am

My bet is still on the spool pin being damaged. I've had this same issue several times before, and a new spool pin resolved the issue.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:54 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:10 am
My bet is still on the spool pin being damaged. I've had this same issue several times before, and a new spool pin resolved the issue.
Damaged in what way? Mine is not bent nor dinged. I tried three different spools in the steez and nothing changed, but its not happening in other reels that support the same 34mm spools.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:36 am

I have had a spool pin look fine, but the problem stopped when I swapped it out to a new one. If it isnt the spool pin, then it is likely that the slots in the pinion gear are damaged, allowing the pin to tick back and forth.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:36 am
I have had a spool pin look fine, but the problem stopped when I swapped it out to a new one. If it isnt the spool pin, then it is likely that the slots in the pinion gear are damaged, allowing the pin to tick back and forth.
I am thinking maybe the pinion. It did this with 2 different Zillion SVTW spools, the stock Steez A spool, and a Ray's BFS spool. Just not sure how or why this started, I am so easy on reels. This is a finesse setup, probably seen under 100 fish. I did notice that the palm sideplate levelwind bushing looks rough, and moves around a lot in the circle cut in the frame for it. This just has me devastated man...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Such massive teeth compared to Shimano offerings

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:57 am

Going to grind my teeth down to the nerve. Got up this morning to do yard testing, could not replicate the issue. Maybe a few times I got the Steez to do it holding the rod at 45 degrees and a medium retrieve. Does the problem much better when casting a small swimbait and retrieving over and over. Going to drive down to the river bank and cast it about 200 times to make sure before I send to TT.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:38 am

The top is indeed plastic. Perfect reel to use in cold weather.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Hello, TT!
I shared a little review of Zillion on my YouTube channel.
Please, take a look, if you interesting.
Dont forget turn subtitles ON, because language of this video - Russian.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 pm

MeatHead wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm
For those of you who have had quite a bit of time on the water with this reel now, would yall say it'd handle fishing in saltwater fine? Recently got a Steez ags bottom contact (previous model, not the new one) and trying to decide what reel to put on it. Will be getting used in South Louisiana for redfish and flounder.
After a lot of back and forth on whether I wanted to get the Zillion, I eventually emailed Daiwa asking if it'd be fine for inshore use. They replied saying it's fine for that, so after more back and forth I pulled the trigger recently. Got it in last Thursday, and finally got on the water with it today. Ended up putting it on a Steez ags 7'1 mh xf and the setup feels fantastic. Just floats in my hand.
First impressions were it feels a lot smaller than my other Daiwa reels (17 Tatula sv, 20 Tatula sv's and Coastal sv tw's). Palms much better than those reels as well, fits similar to my Shimano Chronarch G.
Spooled it with 20lb Tatsu, and with the brake dial set on 10 had absolutely no issues with overrun.
Once I started fishing it I realised I made a mistake buying it. It's completely ruined me now and has me wanting to buy more haha. Just insanely smooth compared to my other reels.
Had a slow days fishing, but got a few rat redfish to play with, and managed a 24.75 inch, roughly 5.5lb red as my first fish on it and it handled it perfectly.
Looking forward to more time on the water with it, and have a feeling I'll end up with more of them eventually.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 pm

MeatHead wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 pm
MeatHead wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm
For those of you who have had quite a bit of time on the water with this reel now, would yall say it'd handle fishing in saltwater fine? Recently got a Steez ags bottom contact (previous model, not the new one) and trying to decide what reel to put on it. Will be getting used in South Louisiana for redfish and flounder.
After a lot of back and forth on whether I wanted to get the Zillion, I eventually emailed Daiwa asking if it'd be fine for inshore use. They replied saying it's fine for that, so after more back and forth I pulled the trigger recently. Got it in last Thursday, and finally got on the water with it today. Ended up putting it on a Steez ags 7'1 mh xf and the setup feels fantastic. Just floats in my hand.
First impressions were it feels a lot smaller than my other Daiwa reels (17 Tatula sv, 20 Tatula sv's and Coastal sv tw's). Palms much better than those reels as well, fits similar to my Shimano Chronarch G.
Spooled it with 20lb Tatsu, and with the brake dial set on 10 had absolutely no issues with overrun.
Once I started fishing it I realised I made a mistake buying it. It's completely ruined me now and has me wanting to buy more haha. Just insanely smooth compared to my other reels.
Had a slow days fishing, but got a few rat redfish to play with, and managed a 24.75 inch, roughly 5.5lb red as my first fish on it and it handled it perfectly.
Looking forward to more time on the water with it, and have a feeling I'll end up with more of them eventually.
Glad to hear you like it so far - hope you will continue to enjoy it. It is one of a few reels of which I purchased more than one.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am

So i decided to swap the gear set from my zillion into the steez tw and the steez gear set into the zillion. Everything fits and turns smoothly. What exactly were folks saying that is not compatible? Will try both on the water later today, but on the bench, they seem to be fitting perfectly.

minch1o
Angler
Angler

Post by minch1o » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:32 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am
So i decided to swap the gear set from my zillion into the steez tw and the steez gear set into the zillion. Everything fits and turns smoothly. What exactly were folks saying that is not compatible? Will try both on the water later today, but on the bench, they seem to be fitting perfectly.
which model of steez? sv tw or A tw??
i'd like to make some gear swaps as well...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:15 am

minch1o wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:32 am
SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am
which model of steez? sv tw or A tw??
i'd like to make some gear swaps as well...
The steez sv tw in the 6.3 ratio.