Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am

Finally pulled the trigger on JDM Zillion. Got delivered yesterday and went to try out this morning. I plan to use this reel with 15lb FC for Jig and Chatterbait, but didn’t have time so I swapped spool from my SS SV and went for smaller fish this morning.
I had a little problem with the reel and not sure if anyone got the same problem. The brake dial move itself (up) after a few hard cast.
Attachments
D82C8809-5C45-432F-9264-63A17D5CD07B.jpeg
D82C8809-5C45-432F-9264-63A17D5CD07B.jpeg (105.45 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:17 pm

I got a surprise in my mailbox the other day... I thought the next shipment to TTT wasn't going to be until May, and I didn't get a shipping notification, so I was truly surprised when it showed up. I eagerly opened up the box to find my first Daiwa reel, the beautiful, low-profile, almost Shimano-like Zillion. Y'all weren't kidding... this thing is buttery smooth, like a Bantam, and it doesn't feel hollow like the lightweight Chronarch MGL I briefly had. It palms very comfortably in my average size hands.

I am going to run 30lb braid but also hoping to get a spare spool with FC to use it for jerkbaits, as the Bantam's sideplate notch digs into my palm after a few hours, and day after day it starts to get pretty sensitive, whereas the Zillion's sideplate is nice and smooth. It still doesn't palm perfectly but I think my hand will be much less irritated. So.... I guess I'm joining the crew of all the Daiwa nerds looking for different spools. No blinged out handles or clashing colors for me though. :P

My biggest excitement though? The fricken drag clicker. I know you can mod other reels for it, but I always appreciate when certain mods/improvements come stock. I'm really looking forward to hearing the long runs from aggressive canoe country smallmouth. Bass opener can't come soon enough! Only 3 weeks away...

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 am

I guess I might be the only one who has an issue with the new Zillion. I love everything about the reel except for the mag dial location. When I cast or fight a fish my index finger usually ends up right on top of the dial. Not only is it uncomfortable but I have felt and heard the dial move. The palm plate on the Zillion 10 is a better design for me but it wider than I would like. Doyo reels are a no go because of the bulging side plate and dial. The OG Zillion is the only Daiwa where the palm plate is totally comfortable to me. I tried changing my grip on some of these reels but I could not get used to it. Overall the palm plates on Shimano's work for me.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 am

joekaz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 am
I guess I might be the only one who has an issue with the new Zillion. I love everything about the reel except for the mag dial location. When I cast or fight a fish my index finger usually ends up right on top of the dial. Not only is it uncomfortable but I have felt and heard the dial move. The palm plate on the Zillion 10 is a better design for me but it wider than I would like. Doyo reels are a no go because of the bulging side plate and dial. The OG Zillion is the only Daiwa where the palm plate is totally comfortable to me. I tried changing my grip on some of these reels but I could not get used to it. Overall the palm plates on Shimano's work for me.
This happened to me while I was cranking. For whatever reason, when I crank, I place my thumb exactly where the mag dial is.

For all my other baits, my index finger sits either on top of the frame, wrapped around the front of the frame, or underneath the reel altogether and on the rod.

Annoying for sure and if you fish that way with all your baits, it would be very uncomfortable imo.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm

joekaz wrote:
Has happened to me, actually quite frequently. Very annoying too.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm

joekaz wrote:

For some reason I haven’t noticed it with the new zillion yet, but it happens to me with the steez ct, which has the same dial arrangement. Probably haven’t fished the zillion enough yet. The way my finger rubs the ct while I’m fishing, I turn the break up higher instead of the other way around. So I notice it when my cast gets choked off. It would suck if it consistently loosened and backlashed.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm
joekaz wrote:

For some reason I haven’t noticed it with the new zillion yet, but it happens to me with the steez ct, which has the same dial arrangement. Probably haven’t fished the zillion enough yet. The way my finger rubs the ct while I’m fishing, I turn the break up higher instead of the other way around. So I notice it when my cast gets choked off. It would suck if it consistently loosened and backlashed.
I haven’t had any problems with the new Zillion either.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm

For those that have the dial issue do you palm with 3 fingers in front of the trigger?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
For those that have the dial issue do you palm with 3 fingers in front of the trigger?
For me, I wouldn’t call it a issue. Happens now and again on the ct so far and I can catch it when my cast go short of target. But, yes I palm with 3 fingers in front of trigger.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Never even thought of the dial positioning. If i get the reel and i feel my fingers rubbing and turning the dial, this will be the biggest disappointment in years, cuz i do want this reel. I feel like the T3 and Steez SV TW dial is perfectly positioned. Never rubbing and i haven't turned the dial even once by mistake.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Yes, I use three fingers. I tried other ways to grip the reel but it didn't work for me. I am a vocal hater of T Wing reels with wide noses and protruding mag dials so when the new Zillian came out with the new design I was super excited. Talk about a buzz kill. It drives me nuts when designers put sharp edges and ports on reels to make them look cool but comfort suffers.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Perhaps try a different rod.

I had it on a Zillion rod that has a very narrow reel seat and did not like it on there. On a custom with ECS and thicker grip, it felt really good. I never noticed the knob after switching rods.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:04 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:56 pm
Perhaps try a different rod.

I had it on a Zillion rod that has a very narrow reel seat and did not like it on there. On a custom with ESC and thicker grip, it felt really good. I never noticed the knob after switching rods.
Most of my rods have ECS reels. I tried everything that I own and the issue is the same.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 pm

I definitely have problem with my finger touch the dial and change dial (up) on hard cast. I cast right and palm the reel (3 finger in front of trigger). Everything else is perfect, cast very good and still controllable unlike Alphas SV TW that is pretty short on distance. The drag is nice but clicking sound can be better (aluminum instead of that plastic ring). So far I caught a 7+lb, a 5+lb bass a 4lb that fight harder than 7lb and bunches of smaller ones.
Attachments
BDE96835-E70A-465A-808E-BED93ED77BAE.jpeg
BDE96835-E70A-465A-808E-BED93ED77BAE.jpeg (140.49 KiB) Viewed 3708 times