Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:48 pm

I’ve gone as low as a 3/16 and craw bait and it seems to be just fine.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:33 am

Has anyone put an aftermarket handle on one? I was on the Hedgehog site and none of he handles list the Zillion as compatible. I'm assuming that the ones that fit the bolt type won't fit the Zillion due to the nut.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:46 am

Should be no different from any other non bolt Daiwa.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:04 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:33 am
Has anyone put an aftermarket handle on one? I was on the Hedgehog site and none of he handles list the Zillion as compatible. I'm assuming that the ones that fit the bolt type won't fit the Zillion due to the nut.
I've put Alphas handles on Steez reels and vice-versa...aftermarket handles are no different (for Daiwa reels, anyway). If
it fits the handle shaft, it will work. You may need a thin or thick handle collar underneath the handle to make the nut/bolt hold the handle snugly, depending on the thickness of the handle, but that's the only variable that will affect the way it fits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:42 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:33 am
I’ve got a regular old 95mm SLP carbon on it

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:16 pm

For a Livre handle, I would want the right hand Daiwa (for a right hand reel)? How are the metal knobs? Do they swap for regular Daiwa knobs?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:14 pm

Anybody with hands on experience to compare the JDM and USDM versions?

I have the 8.5:1 usdm version and I am wondering if I should get another one or a JDM version.

Would use it for 12# fc and senkos.

Is there a difference in the two reels for skipping? I personally think that the USDM version with the Sv boost spool is not a great skipper at all.

Thanks guys!

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:24 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:14 pm

I have the 8.5:1 usdm version and I am wondering if I should get another one or a JDM version.

Is there a difference in the two reels for skipping? I personally think that the USDM version with the Sv boost spool is not a great skipper at all.

Thanks guys!
I haven’t skipped with either models. I have a 6.3 USDM model and 2 8.5 JDM model Zillions. Functionally I can tell zero difference. The only difference I noted was the USDM zero adjuster was way off out of the box whereas the JDM models were perfectly adjusted. All three have been amazing on the few outings I’ve had them out on. The only problem I’m having now is I don’t want to use anything else.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:04 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:24 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks guys!
I haven’t skipped with either models. I have a 6.3 USDM model and 2 8.5 JDM model Zillions. Functionally I can tell zero difference. The only difference I noted was the USDM zero adjuster was way off out of the box whereas the JDM models were perfectly adjusted. All three have been amazing on the few outings I’ve had them out on. The only problem I’m having now is I don’t want to use anything else.
Thanks for the feedback. So you dont see a difference in spool size and/or casting performance?

I thought to have read somewhere that the JDM version would be more finesse focused with improved skipping capabilities while the USDM was more of an all around , powerfishing reel.
Does that match your experience?

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:30 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:04 am

I thought to have read somewhere that the JDM version would be more finesse focused with improved skipping capabilities while the USDM was more of an all around , powerfishing reel.
Does that match your experience?
I have been using the JDM version (6.3 and 8.1) since February for everything from weightless/lightly weighted plastics, shakyhead, Senkos, jigs and spinnerbaits/chatterbaits and the reels have been outstanding performers.

The differences between the JDM and USDM versions are place of manufacture (Japan vs. Thailand), gear material (aluminum vs. brass) and weight (6.3 vs. 6.7 oz.). After eleven months of constant use, both JDM reels, with aluminum gears, are as smooth as the day purchased.

To compare, I fished a couple of times with a friend's USDM version and could not really discern any difference in my use of the reel. It did feel a tad heavier, but that could have been more perceptions than reality since I knew there is a weight difference.

While I have not done any skipping with either version, casting performance and fish handling was essentially identical with both versions.

So, if the place of manufacture and slight weight difference does not matter to you, I would suggest that you get whichever version is available for the best price, which is the primary reason I went with the JDM version.

Regards,
Doc

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:22 pm

Has any of you thought of swapping that fugly plastic engine cover? Trying to figure out which engine cover from another reel would be compatible.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:26 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Has any of you thought of swapping that fugly plastic engine cover? Trying to figure out which engine cover from another reel would be compatible.
In stock form it doesn’t bother me at all. I have thought about changing it though…with the black one from the HD if/when that part becomes available. It’ll be interesting to see how this platform evolves over the next few years with respect to color options and special editions.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:36 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Looks like the ss sv slp dress kit plate will work.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:04 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks guys!
I've used the JDM to skip and pitch skip jigs for about a year now. Have used 2 USDM variants to skip senkos and shakyheds and the other to skip bladed jigs and 1/4oz swim jigs. awesome skipping spool. on par /w the steez sv 1012.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:21 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:04 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks guys!
I've used the JDM to skip and pitch skip jigs for about a year now. Have used 2 USDM variants to skip senkos and shakyheds and the other to skip bladed jigs and 1/4oz swim jigs. awesome skipping spool. on par /w the steez sv 1012.
Interesting!

I was very disappointed in the skipping abilities of my 8.5:1 usdm.

Are you seeing a difference in this regard between the US and JP versions?