Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Is the dial when moved on the cast being bumped by fingers when casting or is the casting motion itself enough to swing the dial?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:12 pm

I guess it move by my finger. It doesn’t happen all the time only when hard cast(may be side arm cast). Today with about 2 hours of fishing, the dial stay put at about 6, most over head cast.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:05 pm

The dial moved by my index finger when casting or setting the hook.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 pm

No way around it. If you grab the rod instead of the reel when casting then than eliminates bumping it then but you still have to palm the reel to retrieve and that is a problem too.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:57 am

Wow. I can't believe Diawa sunk to Chinas level. They just ordered a Shimano and knocked it off. I guess they're trying to be the best by copying the best.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 am

Nah, if Daiwa was copying Shimano, they would have repainted the previous Zillion and slapped the letters MGL on it. :whistle:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:01 am

CGrinder wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 am
Nah, if Daiwa was copying Shimano, they would have repainted the previous Zillion and slapped the letters MGL on it. :whistle:
They kinda pulled a Curado G with the two previous Tatula based Zillions. They are on the right track now even if it looks just like a Shimano product.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:20 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:01 am
CGrinder wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 am
They kinda pulled a Curado G with the two previous Tatula based Zillions. They are on the right track now even if it looks just like a Shimano product.
Sorta agree, though the 34mm Zillion SV spool is killer. I should have let the troll go without helping to derail the thread.

On topic: new Zillion seems good, am considering, waiting on a few more usage reports.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm a Daiwa fan myself, so no hate or bashing here.... another member here texted me regarding an intermittent squealing sound on the cast. He has 2 of them and only one was making noise, so the diagnosis was fairly quick. It turned out to be a bad spool bearing. Just reporting facts, y'all, and I still want to try one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:27 pm

joekaz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 am
I guess I might be the only one who has an issue with the new Zillion. I love everything about the reel except for the mag dial location. When I cast or fight a fish my index finger usually ends up right on top of the dial. Not only is it uncomfortable but I have felt and heard the dial move. The palm plate on the Zillion 10 is a better design for me but it wider than I would like. Doyo reels are a no go because of the bulging side plate and dial. The OG Zillion is the only Daiwa where the palm plate is totally comfortable to me. I tried changing my grip on some of these reels but I could not get used to it. Overall the palm plates on Shimano's work for me.
having the same issue....LH reel so don't switch hands when casting. seems like every other cast the dial moves. Super...super annoying..to the point I don't want to buy more. The reel is great aside from this. Gonna tinker /w the dial to see if I can make it difficult to move before I do anything. But..I'm with you. annoying.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:31 pm
I'm a Daiwa fan myself, so no hate or bashing here.... another member here texted me regarding an intermittent squealing sound on the cast. He has 2 of them and only one was making noise, so the diagnosis was fairly quick. It turned out to be a bad spool bearing. Just reporting facts, y'all, and I still want to try one.
Lol funny cause it reminds me of a DC sound so its actually kind of cool to me when i heard it :lol: . But if thats the case ill look into that

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:25 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:27 pm
joekaz wrote:
I guess I might be the only one who has an issue with the new Zillion. I love everything about the reel except for the mag dial location. When I cast or fight a fish my index finger usually ends up right on top of the dial. Not only is it uncomfortable but I have felt and heard the dial move. The palm plate on the Zillion 10 is a better design for me but it wider than I would like. Doyo reels are a no go because of the bulging side plate and dial. The OG Zillion is the only Daiwa where the palm plate is totally comfortable to me. I tried changing my grip on some of these reels but I could not get used to it. Overall the palm plates on Shimano's work for me.
having the same issue....LH reel so don't switch hands when casting. seems like every other cast the dial moves. Super...super annoying..to the point I don't want to buy more. The reel is great aside from this. Gonna tinker /w the dial to see if I can make it difficult to move before I do anything. But..I'm with you. annoying.
If its not too late to learn then you can try grabbing the rod when casting then transitioning to palming after the cast instead of palming while casting. This will have the added benefit of freeing up your wrist when casting to add that wrist snap at the end of the casting stroke to put more heat on the bait.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:44 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:25 pm
iabass8 wrote:
joekaz wrote:
If its not too late to learn then you can try grabbing the rod when casting then transitioning to palming after the cast instead of palming while casting. This will have the added benefit of freeing up your wrist when casting to add that wrist snap at the end of the casting stroke to put more heat on the bait.
Not going to happen after casting the same way for 40 years. Sold the reel. Going to miss the retrieve smoothness though.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am

iabass8 wrote:
joekaz wrote:
This must be an 'individual' issue with 'gripping' the reel because I have been using the new Zillion (LH reel, cast with RH) for almost three months and never encountered that issue. Several friends have been using the reel for as long or slightly longer, all without that issue.

After checking both of my Zillions, the mag dial seem 'stiff' enough that it would take a fair amount of unintended force to move the dial without intending too.

Doc

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:33 am

Starting to put a lot of hours on my Zillions now that it's prime time bass fishing weather.

Went on Friday to Ross Barnett and it started raining on me while fishing. Normally, I would have left, but the bite turned on like crazy and I just couldn't leave the action.

Had a lot of fun but ended up fishing a couple of hours easily in the rain. I noticed that the Zillions were becoming less smooth and more noisy/grindy feeling the more I used them.

So I decided to take them all down this weekend and noticed several things. First, much like my 20 Mets, each of the reels seemed to be greased/oiled very differently from reel to reel. I had one almost bone dry from the AR, up the drag stack, and onto the handle. Another one was completely the opposite and had a ton of grease on the pinion, the AR, the drag, handle, etc. Black goo everywhere.

Anyways, there was also a lot of water on the frame. Should be a pic below, hopefully you can see the water reflection all throughout the frame. They're all cleaned now and feel smooth/quiet as ever. Just an FYI though, these Zillions can get a good bit of water in them. Most of my other reels usually only have water around the pinion area.