Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by CFDoc » Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 am

Found another nice surprise with this reel this morning. When paired with a Poison Adrena 6'11"M+, it floats!!!

I had something bite my fin spin this morning and I thought it was a crappie. Then out of nowhere the entire rod/reel got pulled out of my hands and into the water. I had to watch my Zillion and Adrena take off underwater faster than I could do anything.

I was dejected and shocked! This had never happened to me. As I sat there sulking for about 5 minutes, all of a sudden, as if being risen from the dead, my Zillion and Adrena came floating to the top of the water!! I could not believe it!

So I quickly trolled over to grab it and when I started reeling the bait back in, I noticed the fish was still on it! Ended up being about a 9.5 lb striper!!

Anyways, I sure am glad that combo floated.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 am
Found another nice surprise with this reel this morning. When paired with a Poison Adrena 6'11"M+, it floats!!!

I had something bite my fin spin this morning and I thought it was a crappie. Then out of nowhere the entire rod/reel got pulled out of my hands and into the water. I had to watch my Zillion and Adrena take off underwater faster than I could do anything.

I was dejected and shocked! This had never happened to me. As I sat there sulking for about 5 minutes, all of a sudden, as if being risen from the dead, my Zillion and Adrena came floating to the top of the water!! I could not believe it!

So I quickly trolled over to grab it and when I started reeling the bait back in, I noticed the fish was still on it! Ended up being about a 9.5 lb striper!!

Anyways, I sure am glad that combo floated.

Lol thats interesting, i would not test out this theory and take your word for it 😂

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed May 26, 2021 1:28 pm

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t on Asian Portal with a new zillion sitting in a shopping cart while my combo was under water, lol.

So now it looks like the AR roller bearing is making noise/grinding. I’ve tried cleaning it out with residue/oil cleaner and dripped some light oil on it. Still noisy.

Anybody know the best way to clean and re-lube this bearing?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:52 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:28 pm
I would be lying if I said I wasn’t on Asian Portal with a new zillion sitting in a shopping cart while my combo was under water, lol.

So now it looks like the AR roller bearing is making noise/grinding. I’ve tried cleaning it out with residue/oil cleaner and dripped some light oil on it. Still noisy.

Unfortunately I’ve kicked several combos in the saltwater by accident climbing out of my kayak, and all of my Conquests and NRX combos float. I think it has to do more with the larger diameter of these rods and if they are sealed on the ends than the reel used. Adrena has a nice big butt section so plenty of room to hold air. Glad you were able to get your combo back though since it had a fish attached!

As for the cleaning, if you have access to an ultrasonic, it’s very easy. I put it in a medicine cup filled with Dawn/water or Simple Green and run it for a few cycles.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

gonna throw all my rods and reels into the lake this weekend to c which ones float. fingers crossed

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed May 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
gonna throw all my rods and reels into the lake this weekend to c which ones float. fingers crossed
I’m no Archimedes, but there might be a better option. I’ll let ya know if I think of something. Fingers crossed.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:52 pm
CFDoc wrote:

As for the cleaning, if you have access to an ultrasonic, it’s very easy. I put it in a medicine cup filled with Dawn/water or Simple Green and run it for a few cycles.
^^^^^^^^^^
That works 'like a champ'!

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 am

DrPerf wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:52 pm
CFDoc wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^
That works 'like a champ'!
I don't have an ultrasonic, but I do have medicine cups and a fast moving wrist, lol.

So do y'all reinstall dry? Or put light oil on them?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu May 27, 2021 6:51 am

Are these issues happening on the Made in Thailand version?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 am

SSS wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:51 am
My issues are I dropped my reel in the lake for 10 minutes. It's the Made in Japan version but I don't think the Thailand version would have behaved differently.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 27, 2021 8:22 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 am
SSS wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:51 am
My issues are I dropped my reel in the lake for 10 minutes. It's the Made in Japan version but I don't think the Thailand version would have behaved differently.
It's not made by glorious Nippon aluminum folded over ten thousands times so it wouldnt have had the iron will to return to the owner the Japanese like the one had.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:31 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 am

I don't have an ultrasonic, but I do have medicine cups and a fast moving wrist, lol.

So do y'all reinstall dry? Or put light oil on them?
I wouldn’t shake these like a normal bearing, lots of small parts that can come apart.

Lubrication seems to be a touchy subject. I know what I use, and all the shops around here use, but was told that it didn’t work on here :-k :lol: Maybe message Daiwa and see what they recommend. Do not install dry. Any moisture gets to it, it will give you the same problems or worse.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:22 am

It's not made by glorious Nippon aluminum folded over ten thousands times so it wouldnt have had the iron will to return to the owner the Japanese like the one had.
I lol'd.

It really was like Poseidon rose from the sea after hearing my calls to Him to return my precious, lol. And Daiwa's new chrome paint glistened in the sun light just right to grab my attention some 40 yards away from the boat. It really was divine intervention. The kind of spiritual moment that just doesn't happen in non-Japan made reels.
JBcrankaddict wrote: Maybe message Daiwa and see what they recommend. Do not install dry. Any moisture gets to it, it will give you the same problems or worse.
I called Daiwa. They said they would get back to me. I'll let you know what I hear.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu May 27, 2021 11:51 am

Haven't heard back from Daiwa, but did talk to Bryan at TTT.

He suggested cleaning like others and then lightly greasing the sleeve that fits inside the AR bearing. Not greasing the bearing itself.

He did say not to run dry.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:51 am
Haven't heard back from Daiwa, but did talk to Bryan at TTT.

He suggested cleaning like others and then lightly greasing the sleeve that fits inside the AR bearing. Not greasing the bearing itself.

He did say not to run dry.
Agreed. I lightly grease with ZPI F-0 Pro Soft Grease.