Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:30 pm

Finally got the reel. Was worried about my fingers rubbing against the dial, but that is not happening and i don't see it ever happen, so that's good. But when it comes to the platform itself, and the way it sits on the reel seat, i kinda prefer my steez tw. Dunno, i may need to get used to it since i've only used the zill for like 2 hours, but for now, i much prefer palming the steez tw, especially for jerkbaits. Will see how it goes after 30 plus hours on the water. Smoothness wise, its what i'd consider as perfect, but i feel like my pixy with alphas sv brass gears is exactly the same under load.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:30 pm
Finally got the reel. Was worried about my fingers rubbing against the dial, but that is not happening and i don't see it ever happen
I suspect the dial movent issue is occurring with guys that palm the reel when casting. If you dont do this then you should be ok.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:42 pm

If anybody else besides me hates the size and ergonomics of the stock handle, here’s my solution thus far.

My favorite handle for this reel is the USDM Metanium XG handle. Unfortunately, the smaller sized hole on the Met handle has to be machined to fit.

The best solution I found was to start with a 7/32” drill bit and drill a hole in the very middle. From there swap the drill bit out with a 7/32” end mill. Mill from the center out both directions until the length and width of the hole is the right size. Finally, take a 1/16” end mill and work on sharpening the corners.

Anyways, here’s some pics of the installed handle. Both with silver and black end caps installed.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:55 am

I think the new Zillion looks better with the exposed nut and black lock plate. Not sure why they went to the shimano plastic style lock...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:55 am
I think the new Zillion looks better with the exposed nut and black lock plate. Not sure why they went to the shimano plastic style lock...
EVERY single reel looks better with an exposed nut (compared to one covered with a plastic nut retainer). No such thing as a reel looking better with some garbo plastic on the handle.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:20 am

What line size and duties are you all using the Zillion Sv1000 for? I'm still waiting to definitively see how it compares concerning light lures versus the previous model...

Meelo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Meelo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:14 pm

How’s the rubber handles for everyone? I got a JDM version and it seems to attract a lot of dust and gets tacky. Maybe it’s the heat when I put it in the car??

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:21 am

For me, I'm good with the zillion down to 1/8 oz on ~10lb line. Lighter than that and I usually switch to the Met with the BFS spool.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:24 pm

Got mine on the way (along with some purple parts, an RCS 90mm carbon handle, and YT fusion spool bearings. Gonna be sitting on a braillist for
t rig duty

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:22 pm

I put 12lb Trilene Sensation on mine for a canoe trip where I wanted to do topwater and subsurface without using braid to leader (focusing on topwater), as I can't trust the T-wing system (broke off 2 jerkbaits now using Double Uni and Improved Albright knots- never had issues with SLX/XT or Bantams). I've never gone straight mono before, but I have used Sensation as a leader material for the past year and it's been pretty good as far as mono goes. I'd use straight fluoro in almost any other scenario but because fluoro sinks, you can't really use it for topwater (even keeping the tip up, with long casts it'll sink). I had zero issues with the mono on the Zillion and only had a few overruns which were all my fault. No backlashes in probably 300-400 casts. I wasn't going for distance competitions and kept the brakes on 8 at a minimum, 12 at max, and even casting somewhat into the wind, had no problems with high drag baits like spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Color me impressed.

The reel DOES scratch quite easily though. Just some light rubbing against another reel scuffed the sideplate quite noticeably. Plan on babying this reel or prepare for it to look like it gets used.

At this point I really do like it for straight mono/fluoro applications but I don't think I will trust a T-wing reel with braid to leader again, unless it's with a topwater lure and I'm on the water so I can go retrieve it in case it breaks off. Whatever- I have plenty of other nice baitcasters to use with braid.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Bwjay wrote:
The reel DOES scratch quite easily though. Just some light rubbing against another reel scuffed the sideplate quite noticeably. Plan on babying this reel or prepare for it to look like it gets used.
Yup. The frame is very very soft. Dings and gouges happen very easily.

Learned that the hard way. Now all my zillions get covers immediately after use.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Daiwa paint is just awful. Dunno what they're using, but it feels so weak on most reels that you can almost scratch it with a few blades of grass.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Daiwa paint is just awful. Dunno what they're using, but it feels so weak on most reels that you can almost scratch it with a few blades of grass.
The TDZ reels were terrible, also. The Fuego and Sol reels had pretty durable paint, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm
The TDZ reels were terrible, also. The Fuego and Sol reels had pretty durable paint, though.
Fuego and Sol are OG. They did have some reels with a resistant paint back then. TDZ and Z2020 (both limited OG steez reels are in the same category) are as bad as it gets. My steez tw has massive flakes of paint falling off of the reel foot. Not just small chipping as you'd normally see, but massive flakes. Not sure if they're not using a primer or their paint isn't even automotive grade, but its bad, real bad.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:06 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:20 am
What line size and duties are you all using the Zillion Sv1000 for? I'm still waiting to definitively see how it compares concerning light lures versus the previous model...
Mine got a little bit heavy duty with 15lb Abazx for jig and chatterbait type, lighter than that I have Alphas SV TW with 10lb FC.