Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Does the Alphas SVTW paint hold up better than the new Zillion SV's paint? I am still trying to decide on a new M or ML setup...

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:11 pm

I guess that I will be the ‘somewhat’ contrarian in regards to the current T-Wing system. My experience is with the Steez SV TW (2) morethan PE, Zillion SV TW 1016, new Zillion (2) and Alphas SV TW.

For the past three years I have exclusively used braid to leader (primarily fluoro, occasional mono). Almost all leaders are long enough so that the connection knot (Improved Albright) is on the spool and passing through the T-Wing on each cast. I have never had any issue with the connection knot passing through the T-Wing on a cast. In fact, I have never “heard” the knot contacting the T-Wing on a cast.

With regards to the current Daiwa finish, here is a picture of one of the Steez SV TW reels after almost three years of constant use. The morethan after two years. The Zillions after four months and the Alphas SV TW after three months. Each of those reels is used on every trip: club tournaments, including pre-fishing and ‘fun’ fishing.

That said, I am disappointed in the finish of the Zillion SV TW 1016. There is some flaking on that finish.

None of the above is to discount the previous posts, but only to share my experiences to date.

Regards,
Doc
Attachments
Daiwa Steez SV TW 1016SV-SHL -TT.jpg
Daiwa Steez SV TW 1016SV-SHL -TT.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Daiwa morethan PE1000XHL-TW.jpg
Daiwa morethan PE1000XHL-TW.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 01.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 01.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000XHL.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000XHL.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Daiwa Alphas SV TW 800XHL - TT.jpg
Daiwa Alphas SV TW 800XHL - TT.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 4517 times

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:11 pm
I guess that I will be the ‘somewhat’ contrarian in regards to the current T-Wing system. My experience is with the Steez SV TW (2) morethan PE, Zillion SV TW 1016, new Zillion (2) and Alphas SV TW.

For the past three years I have exclusively used braid to leader (primarily fluoro, occasional mono). Almost all leaders are long enough so that the connection knot (Improved Albright) is on the spool and passing through the T-Wing on each cast. I have never had any issue with the connection knot passing through the T-Wing on a cast. In fact, I have never “heard” the knot contacting the T-Wing on a cast.

With regards to the current Daiwa finish, here is a picture of one of the Steez SV TW reels after almost three years of constant use. The morethan after two years. The Zillions after four months and the Alphas SV TW after three months. Each of those reels is used on every trip: club tournaments, including pre-fishing and ‘fun’ fishing.

That said, I am disappointed in the finish of the Zillion SV TW 1016. There is some flaking on that finish.

None of the above is to discount the previous posts, but only to share my experiences to date.

Regards,
Doc
My experience with t-wing and leaders is the same as Doc’s. Never had a problem and did not know this was an issue.

Daiwa paint is a mixed bag. I manage to ding them sooner than I’d like. If I don’t use covers during transport, it can get bad quickly. In the past few years I’ve gotten much better at using covers and have a similar experience to Doc’s above. That being said, makers of less expensive reels somehow are able to use much more durable paint. Some years ago, I tried a 13 reel; I forget which letter, maybe C. The thumb bar broke eventually and I had a bearing going which I was not going to deal with so I got rid of it. I was hard on the reel, but I don’t recall a single ding to the paint on that thing at the end.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:46 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:11 pm
I have never had any issue with the connection knot passing through the T-Wing on a cast. In fact, I have never “heard” the knot contacting the T-Wing on a cast.
Yeah it should never happen on the cast, on the retrieve a heavy lb test knot can catch in the groove but on the cast with the T-wing wide open? Something else is going on if he's breaking off lures on casts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:25 am

None of those Zillions looked too bad, I couldn't see any major scratches. I built a transport system for our small aluminum boat, keeps them from bouncing too hard during waves. Basically I used a yoga mat and construction level velcro to hold them to the flat spots on the side of the livewell/storage area.
Either way, still scares me, I really don't want a $350 reel that will have flaked paint.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Daiwa paint is just awful. Dunno what they're using, but it feels so weak on most reels that you can almost scratch it with a few blades of grass.
The TDZ reels were terrible, also. The Fuego and Sol reels had pretty durable paint, though.
Geez! Ya’d think people were datin’ the damn things!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:59 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Daiwa paint is just awful. Dunno what they're using, but it feels so weak on most reels that you can almost scratch it with a few blades of grass.
The TDZ reels were terrible, also. The Fuego and Sol reels had pretty durable paint, though.
Geez! Ya’d think people were datin’ the damn things!
No one has time for a thin-skinned, sensitive snowflake, be it a person or a reel!😜😂
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:06 am

Has everyone else received their Zillion preorders? I ordered a RH 7.1 in January from TT and still haven't got it.

DaveJ

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:06 am
Has everyone else received their Zillion preorders? I ordered a RH 7.1 in January from TT and still haven't got it.

DaveJ
Hi Dave - PM Sent. If you haven't received yours, there is a problem we need to address. My apologies, all pre-orders have been shipped at this time, but we will get you taken care of one way or another.

Gary
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm

To fire it back up, how is the finesse capability of the newer Boost spools? Is it on par with the previous or slightly better? I figure it is for sure better on heavier lures but would like to know for the light stuff. Few people have claimed the Metanium 2020 is no slouch for lighter casting techniques...
Anyone had both the JDM aluminum geared and the US brass geared for comparison yet?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:12 pm

I have a question for those that ordered USDM models. Did they come with a parts diagram?

I ask for several reasons. First, none of my 4 JDMs came with one. All I got was cleaning instructions.

Second, one of my reels has been nothing but problems. Right out of the box it was a lot more difficult to turn the handle. It’s a long story, but after banging my head and then finally having a long conversation with Brian at Tackle Trap (thanks Brian you’re the best), we’re pretty sure the collar that goes inside the bearing that sits under the tension knob was installed backwards from the factory. Brian said it’s rare, but does happen. Basically that collar would slide down the pinion and make reeling very rough.

Anyways, I got that fixed by being able to order parts from PLAT (Daiwa USA still has nothing parts wise from what I can tell).

Next, there was a very consistent rough spot when reeling. It was very noticeable especially when reeling slow. Again, after beating my head against the wall, finally found the problem. On the plastic gear that sits underneath the main drive shaft, about 4 of the gear teeth show leftover plastic from when the part was made. What has happened is after using the reel that extra plastic has made those several gear teeth oddly shaped and not a good fit into the worm gear.

I tried taking a pic but iPhone cameras suck at close ups. Anyways, it’s the few teeth just to the left of the exposed screw head.

So here’s my next question for asking if anybody has a parts diagram. I’m wondering if that plastic drive shaft gear is the same part number as other Daiwa reels. Hopefully it’s something I could get easily from Daiwa USA. It seems to look like part #H91-2701

Thanks in advance.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:30 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:12 pm
I have a question for those that ordered USDM models. Did they come with a parts diagram?
I only have two, sadly :lol: I have the 100L and the 100HL. Both reels came with a parts diagram. The Tackle Trap will be open Monday and there are a few RH models remaining in stock, so will check on inclusion or exclusion of parts diagrams. Bryan (Spanky) is awesome indeed!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

I’ll call Monday. And try not to waste too much of Bryan’s time. Ha ha.

Vantieuthu01
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Vantieuthu01 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 am

Does anyone have both zillion 21 and a steez A TW 1016? :-k
Can you please check whether the main gear and pinion of zillion 21 can swap with steez A (main gear+pinion) ???

I really like the new hypergear design for the main gear but also like the magseal too. New product line of daiwa doesnt have magseal. I think they try to reduce the size and weight. However, magseal is extremely good for saltwater fishing. I will order a replacement for my steez A if the main gear+pinion can be swaped. Thank

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:32 am

One video showed the Steez A and Zillion gear looking almost identical, cannot find it though. I can see the warped teeth on the plastic gear in that picture by the way. Hopefully you can find a replacement. I would call the Japanese dealer (email them) and see if they would help. They don't always but it won't hurt to ask. I have even had an Aliexpress dealer be willing to help.