Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by SSS » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 am
rando wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:32 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:28 am
rando wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 pm
I’m late to the party, finally pulled a trigger on a jdm version. Now where can I find a bronze gear set?
Yeah I would just fish your stock aluminum gears hard and not worry about the upgrade until you need it. Won't hurt anything else to do this. I am sure you meant brass, but there are a few Daiwa's that use bronze, like the Steez A based Morethan SV, but only in the 8.6 ratio. I hope TackleTrap gets the new Zillion handle in stock before long, I really enjoy both the smaller JDM version of those knobs and the USDM larger version also.
Yes, I meant brass.
You are right, I should not preemptively expect the Al gears to fail.
I have the same mindset as you do though, I ordered the 7.1 JDM Zillion because I figured the 8.5 and aluminum would be highest risk of failure, if I get a second Zillion in the 8.5 it will for sure be the USDM. I really just want to see if I can feel a difference or not. This reel will be hard pressed to get any more smooth. Even with my Steez A fully repaired now I really feel the new Zillion tops it.
Replace all bushings to quality bearings and it becomes....... i really don't know how you could get a smoother reel under load.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:32 am

Are the black plastic collars on the new Zillion and the Steez TW platform compatible? Aliexpress has some for the Steez TW that come in red, light off pink, gold and purple.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:49 am

No silver though. Just this pinkish metallic color. Sort of like the Levante pink gunmetal color on the lock nut and winding checks. Very similar.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 am

Yes the engine cover between the steez tw and zillion is the same side and are compatible.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:24 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 am
Yes the engine cover between the steez tw and zillion is the same side and are compatible.
Nice. Not sure how I feel about the Kawa color selection though. There is a matching drag star and zero adjuster for like $43 from Kawa or the Billings brands. For like $80 you can color bomb your Zillion with a matching drag star, zero adjuster, engine cover and zero adjuster collar. Maybe the black HD woukd look good but red, purple or gold on that bright silver Zillion paint is just weird. I guess the red could pull off a TD-Z Type R homage.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:33 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:24 am
SSS wrote:
Nice. Not sure how I feel about the Kawa color selection though. There is a matching drag star and zero adjuster for like $43 from Kawa or the Billings brands. For like $80 you can color bomb your Zillion with a matching drag star, zero adjuster, engine cover and zero adjuster collar. Maybe the black HD woukd look good but red, purple or gold on that bright silver Zillion paint is just weird. I guess the red could pull off a TD-Z Type R homage.
I've installed a steez tw engine cover on the zillion, and it made it look so much more high end. The small collar ring that's around the zero adjuster can also be removed and replace the ugly plastic ring on the zillion. Makes it look so damn better than stock (maybe just for me because i cannot stand to see that collar and the engine cover in plastic. reminds me of Tats)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:47 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:33 am
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
I've installed a steez tw engine cover on the zillion, and it made it look so much more high end. The small collar ring that's around the zero adjuster can also be removed and replace the ugly plastic ring on the zillion. Makes it look so damn better than stock (maybe just for me because i cannot stand to see that collar and the engine cover in plastic. reminds me of Tats)
I agree. Its amazing what a little parts change can do to make something a little more classy. Even the tats can be deuglied somewhat. Not sure why Daiwa chooses the parts they do sometimes. For real what is up with those damn plastic nut retainers these days.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:47 am
SSS wrote:
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
I agree. Its amazing what a little parts change can do to make something a little more classy. Even the tats can be deuglied somewhat. Not sure why Daiwa chooses the parts they do sometimes. For real what is up with those damn plastic nut retainers these days.
Must've gotten the plastic nut retainer idea from Shimano. Ridiculous to see this on $450 reels....

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:42 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:17 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:47 am
SSS wrote:
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
Must've gotten the plastic nut retainer idea from Shimano. Ridiculous to see this on $450 reels....
Plastic top plate too but at least it's not glued on like the Curado 200k and is something that can be unscrewed. I hope they come available as spare parts as rash cure or even have aftermarket ones with a different shape or color as dress up parts Something about the shape of the stock one is a little strange.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:36 pm

Yea I hate that plastic retainer. Where can I find a metal one. Does it come with a nut from hedgehog studio?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:58 pm

A ton of them on ali and you can grab some on ebay as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:10 am

Yep TTT has them too in Daiwa colors. Most aftermarket colors match except for the weird Daiwa purple so TTT is my source for those.
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 98_660_728

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:10 am
Yep TTT has them too in Daiwa colors. Most aftermarket colors match except for the weird Daiwa purple so TTT is my source for those.
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 98_660_728
Thank you sir!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:56 am

I have a JDM one now. Nice reel. If I had to find a flaw it would be that the silver is a bit too much and the spool is very shallow . It does palm slightly more tall than it could due to how tall the front of the frame is. There is a large gap between the bottom of the frame and the top of the T Wing meaning they could have taken it down a smidge more. It does palm super well though no matter how I grab at it. I think the the fancy silver and shallow spool would have been better suited for a LTD model with a darker color and deeper spool for the normal model or USDM spec model. Super nice reel with an awesome braking profile. Those thin knobs gotta go though but that is the JDM preference. Really great reel. These should be made in every form the way Daiwa does with the Tatulas. Give me a 36mm wide spool one to replace the USDM Zillion HD. Give me a deep fixed inductor big bait version. Mass produce this shape.

Oh I hate the mag dial. Its out of the way but too out of the way. I like the old location like on the old Daiwa reels before the T Wing. You could adjust for the next cast while palming the reel winding in your bait and searching for targets. I like being able to scroll to max to make a skip under a dock and then scroll down to cast to the end of a dock further away. I do a lot of skipping and casting to cover as I float by and do a lot of scanning for targets and scrolling of that mag dial. This new location is not possible for me to adjust while palming and its very stiff. I have to flip the reel over use my thumb to adjust the dial. The Alphas I have has the same issue but I can awkwardly reach down and back with my index finger and scroll the dial. It has a softer retainer and is easier to turn.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:59 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:26 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:18 am
Here you go with the updated zillion:

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html
Now that looks interesting. I hope my crypto investment bounces back so I can buy one.
You did sell the top right?