Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by bwjay » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:18 am

What I read was "fish in the rain once and your Zillions will go geary and you'll need to disassemble and lube them every time that happens". Nice.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 am

I would recommend that if you fish for hours and hours in a steady rain, you should do a deep cleaning of all your reels.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 am

On a positive note, the zillion did haul in this monster on a bed under the full moon last night.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:03 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 am
On a positive note, the zillion did haul in this monster on a bed under the full moon last night.

Good job.

And yeah. They do hawl out the hawgs, don’t they?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Start to like this Zillion more and more. It cast great comparable to those shimano, unlike my other Daiwas. I set the mag dial down to 5-6 and can sling it out there at 7-8 I don’t have to worry about backlash whatsoever even in the wind. Skip it couple times with dial at 6 and not even a hint of backlash with Fatika. Now I regretted getting the Alphas SV TW.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm

bwjay wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:18 am
What I read was "fish in the rain once and your Zillions will go geary and you'll need to disassemble and lube them every time that happens". Nice.
A single data point does not indicate a "trend"/reality/etc.
My new Zillions have been in the rain, accidently dropped/retrieved in the water, etc. with no ill effects.

Doc

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm
bwjay wrote:
My new Zillions have been in the rain, accidently dropped/retrieved in the water, etc. with no ill effects.

Doc
Of course. I just get nervous when reading reports like that. I'm always looking out for problems in brand new products that I either intend to buy or have bought and might get to enjoy suffering through myself. Personally, I have never disassembled a reel, and I don't really intend to either. If my brand new reel is going to significantly in quality/smoothness after dropping it in the water or getting heavily rained on and I have to disassemble the freaking thing just to get it back up to snuff, that's not a reel I want. The question really is, is that how most reels would behave, and I haven't run into it yet, or maybe CFDoc just had the perfect storm of conditions? Not sure. In this case I already have the reel (can't fish it for another 2 weeks unless I go for carp) so I am stuck with figuring it out for myself. Here's hoping CFDoc's experience doesn't indicate a trend. :)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:23 am

bwjay wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm
DrPerf wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Doc
Of course. I just get nervous when reading reports like that. I'm always looking out for problems in brand new products that I either intend to buy or have bought and might get to enjoy suffering through myself. Personally, I have never disassembled a reel, and I don't really intend to either. If my brand new reel is going to significantly in quality/smoothness after dropping it in the water or getting heavily rained on and I have to disassemble the freaking thing just to get it back up to snuff, that's not a reel I want. The question really is, is that how most reels would behave, and I haven't run into it yet, or maybe CFDoc just had the perfect storm of conditions? Not sure. In this case I already have the reel (can't fish it for another 2 weeks unless I go for carp) so I am stuck with figuring it out for myself. Here's hoping CFDoc's experience doesn't indicate a trend. :)
Learn to disassemble while you wait.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:23 am
bwjay wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Doc
Mmm, should I really have to though? Should every angler be required to know how to disassemble their (high end) reels in case the manufacturer inadequately designed them? If you drop the reel in a mud puddle I'd understand, but simply being rained on? Reels are made to be used around water, gimme a break.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 am

bwjay wrote:
I don't think you have too much to worry about. Worst case scenario, you can just send the reel off to one of the many, many, cleaners out there and you'll be fine.

I was not trying to start a zillion sh!t slinging contest. Only reporting what I saw in mine.

Here's some more details which hopefully will clear things up. There were 6 rods/reels on my boat deck the entire time it was raining (which was a good 3+ hours easily plus a 30 minute drive home). There were 3 zillions and 3 mets. Of the 3 zillions, I had a frog tied on one that was, by far, used the most while it was raining. I had to have made 200 - 300 casts with this setup. Another zillion had a swimming fluke tied on that I would say got casted about 50-100 times in the rain. The other 4 reels were only casted a handful of times.

The two zillions that got the most usage were the ones that had the most water intrusion. The one with the frog tied one was the one that noticeably and audibly changed during use. I would also add that when I fish a frog, I do a lot of very fast reeling to get the bait back to the boat before casting again.

In my opinion, the zillion does seem to have a more open "void" where the spool connects to the pinion than most other reels that contain a spool shaft. What I think was happening is that this "void" kinda creates a pump when reeling fast. So over the hours and hours of fishing in heavy rain, I was basically sucking bits of water into the reel and then centrifugally spraying them throughout the internals.

Overall, for me, it's not that big of a deal. More of an FYI than anything.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:23 am

bwjay wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 am
LowRange wrote:
bwjay wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Doc
Mmm, should I really have to though? Should every angler be required to know how to disassemble their (high end) reels in case the manufacturer inadequately designed them? If you drop the reel in a mud puddle I'd understand, but simply being rained on? Reels are made to be used around water, gimme a break.
It's like not knowing how to change a tire. You should at least know even if you don't ever plan on changing one yourself.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:58 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:23 am
bwjay wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 am
LowRange wrote:
bwjay wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Doc
It's like not knowing how to change a tire. You should at least know even if you don't ever plan on changing one yourself.
Tires are extremely easy to change, a couple nuts and you're done. A reel has dozens of parts that you have to be careful to keep track of and remember how they came off so you know how to put them back on. It's more analogous to knowing how to take your engine & transmission apart on your shiny new 911.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 am

I don't understand how someone wouldn't want to know how to disassemble a high end reel. I want the presence of mind knowing I can fix things. This is about like that one turd YouTube channel, "Shimano casts 15ft further so they are the best reel", yeah that's basically the name of it... also doesn't disassemble reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 am
I don't understand how someone wouldn't want to know how to disassemble a high end reel. I want the presence of mind knowing I can fix things. This is about like that one turd YouTube channel, "Shimano casts 15ft further so they are the best reel", yeah that's basically the name of it... also doesn't disassemble reels.
Thats Bootytrain

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 am
I hear you. There might be some basic maintenance operations for a reel that any high end reel owner should know. This would be analogous to changing tires, changing oil, changing wiper blades... but again, complete disassembly of a complex machine like a reel seems a little excessive to expect of anyone who owns a reel. I know old school types want to fix any problem that happens on their car for example, but I think it's not reasonable to expect every car owner to know exactly how every component of their car works and fits together with the whole.

Me personally? Maybe I'll take my SLX XT apart at some point just to get some experience, but it's not my idea of a good time, and if I truly have a problem with a reel, I'll probably just send it to someone who has more experience, if it's a reel I care enough about to have it working properly. My SLX XT went geary some point last year but I don't care enough to do anything about it. If one of my Bantams or my Zillion started grinding though, you bet I'd be doing something about it- just not disassembling it and risking not being able to put it back together. I'm not out to be an amateur reel mechanic.