New Steez A TW HLC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Steez A TW HLC

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 pm

Daiwa has so many reels made for lighter lures, the Steez A TW HLC is NOT made for them by design. To expect otherwise is odd as there are so many other premium choices in their line up for the same or less cost to play that game. This reel was made for bigger line, bigger baits, and casting long distances. In my limited experience with this model, it does just that, and it does it well. I am enjoying mine immensely so far :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:28 pm
Talked with my Japanese buddy about this reel a bit.

Apparently this reel gets fairly bad reviews in Japan. Lots of anglers there are complaining that this reel doesnt perform well, since the breaking system is very finicky with lighter lures.

Not sure what this info is worth, but thought I would share.
Happy with mine so far. Looks good and performs good. For the fun of it, I did some testing with 3/16-1/4 oz lures and the stock reel is not great with those light lures. I knew that getting the reel, so fine with me. From around 3/8 and especially 1/2 oz in my hands, the reel really starts to shine. Still, it is more of a workout using this reel stock than so many other reels that allow “effortless” casts, and for a long fishing day I will probably pick another reel or use it with an aftermarket spool.
Perhaps I will end up devoting this reel for inshore use to really cast the aerodynamic line through spoons/plugs that I use. Should be right up this reels alley...

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am

Has anybody tried the Steez HLC with deep Crankbaits and how well did it do?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:43 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am
Has anybody tried the Steez HLC with deep Crankbaits and how well did it do?
Yes, it launches them. Again, I give credit where it's due, the Tatula Elite Long Cast is one seriously impressive reel in terms of distance. The 21 Steez A TW HLC is obviously more refined, albeit perhaps a bit more touchy.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:24 am

Maybe this has been already done; but I would suggest with an HLC spool and heavy baits to try a heavier viscosity lubricant in the spool bearings. This can be a great way to tame an out of control spool. It could also potentially remove the need for so much spool tension adjustment.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:02 pm

For those who have it, is the gear set the same as the standard steez tw? And how smooth is this reel when compared to the zillion1000, steez ct, millionaire ct, alphas tw and other recently released daiwa reels that all seem to be much smoother than older models?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:37 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:02 pm
For those who have it, is the gear set the same as the standard steez tw? And how smooth is this reel when compared to the zillion1000, steez ct, millionaire ct, alphas tw and other recently released daiwa reels that all seem to be much smoother than older models?
I have not opened the reel yet so do not know about gear set.
I have all the reels you mention and the Steez is Super Smooth as other new Steez.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:05 am

JapanTackle:
"It has new Magforce Z Boost brake system, in which brake rotor will be popped-up by 2 steps by different spring rates. Rotor pops out by far at the beginning of strong cast, and then it retract to the middle position to emit the least brake force to control to cast the longest. "

At plat parts drawing shows 2 stage springs:
HLC Spool.JPG
HLC Spool.JPG (19.96 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
I guess this can be swapped to other Mag-Z spools:

At least parts 22, 23 and 24 are needed. Those costs 220 + 330 + 220 = 770 yen at Plat.

Its possible that also inductor and weights are needed. Those are parts 25 and 2 x 26. Those costs 3080 + 2 x 220 = 3520 yen at plat.

It's also possible that spool itself must be changed. Assembly number is 19. Can someone try HLC Spool to older 100 size reel? Whole spool assembly costs at plat 13750 yen.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:48 pm

I certainly have interest in a long distance bomber but how is this any better than the 19 Morethan?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 am

Freddie wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:48 pm
I certainly have interest in a long distance bomber but how is this any better than the 19 Morethan?
Line capacity is typically an important factor in a reel made for distance casting. The 19 Morethan has what I'd consider a shallow spool for a long distance focused reel. Its design is for braided lines specifically, hence the shallow spool. Try loading it up with some 20# FC for dragging foot ball jigs on shell beds and you'll see!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:21 pm

Gary I just picked up a ts poker from you today. How would the Steez A TW HLC pair with the rod for tossing everything from frogs to 6” magdraft freestyles and also how is the line capacity on the Steez A HLC with 65lbs braid?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:21 pm
Gary I just picked up a ts poker from you today. How would the Steez A TW HLC pair with the rod for tossing everything from frogs to 6” magdraft freestyles and also how is the line capacity on the Steez A HLC with 65lbs braid?
The Steez HLC exceeds at bombing compact baits between 1/2 and 2oz. It spins up much faster, which makes it quite finnicky and it takes a moment to dial in (but then is a great distance caster). Not sure if you'll want to go through the hassle of regularly taming the reel for frogs and swimbaits. I've casted 4.8" Keitech underspins on it and it's definitely doable, but it wouldn't be my reel of choice.

Line capacity is probably nothing to worry about, it has a deep 36mm spool and holds a ton of braid. Per box it holds 80m (85 yds) of 20lbs fluoro at 0.37mm width. Regular PowerPro is 0.41mm, Maxcuatro is 0.36mm, so you'd get over 240 feet of line. (I got 40lbs Maxcuatro on it and haven't gotten close to getting spooled yet even on super long casts.)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 am

Has anybody tried OG HLC Zillion spool to Steez A TW HLC reel? How does spools compare? OG HLC Zillion reel is pretty wild but there might be difference in magnets comparing to Steez A TW HLC...
(Or has anybody tried Steez A TW HLC spool to OG HLC Zillion reel...)

Japantackle:
OG HLC Zillion spool.JPG
OG HLC Zillion spool.JPG (26.95 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Last edited by jvelth74 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:28 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:21 pm
Apologies for the late reply as I missed this one. I hope the TS Poker is working out for you so far! I haven't used 65# on mine, but I have used 55# Daiwa Samurai on there and it holds plenty of line. I don't think you'll have any issues going to 65# as Drakestar mentioned...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:01 pm

Anyone actually open one of these up?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible