Vibration analysis between '20 Met and '21 Zillion

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Vibration analysis between '20 Met and '21 Zillion

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:42 am

Yep we do perceive noise as roughness in a reel. The two together define niceness.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:38 am

Very interesting . I am a condition monitoring technician and use Vibration Analysis, Thermography, and Airborne ultrasound regularly for my job but have never even considered using it on reels.
Interesting in the first lot of your data that the spools seem to be well balanced. The harmonics relate to your input speed of 2.5HZ and going off a 7:1 ratio you would be seeing a peak at 17.5HZ if there was any imbalance in the spools.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 am

Has anyone tested a spool (of any sort) for its empty "balance"?

Because of all these claims of line knots in both the attachment to spool and backing to leader etc - you see guys every now and then balancing their knot placement - which you know... Helps...

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:56 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:38 am
Very interesting . I am a condition monitoring technician and use Vibration Analysis, Thermography, and Airborne ultrasound regularly for my job but have never even considered using it on reels.
Interesting in the first lot of your data that the spools seem to be well balanced. The harmonics relate to your input speed of 2.5HZ and going off a 7:1 ratio you would be seeing a peak at 17.5HZ if there was any imbalance in the spools.
Very interesting profession you have there.

We use a lot of the same algorithms as vibration folks in my profession. The stochastic signals generated by multidimensional, coupled, non-linear partial differential equations don't always make sense in natural forms. So things like Fourier analysis, principle components, dimension reductions, etc. are necessary to make sense of anything.

b2o
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by b2o » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:43 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Great to see that someone can delve so deeply into vibrations!
For my work I am working on vibrations and looking for an app that can produce an FFT graph from a WITMotion sensor. Is it correct that you are using the "Sound Spectrum Analysis" app?(https://apps.apple.com/be/app/sound-spe ... 1434975523)
I am very curious how you get that data from the WITmotion sensor in this app. Does the acquisition of the vibrations take place directly in the app, or do you import this data via a file?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me further.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:08 pm

I just want to add that this post is what makes the TT community so great and I love all you guys.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:57 pm

b2o wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:43 am

Great to see that someone can delve so deeply into vibrations!
For my work I am working on vibrations and looking for an app that can produce an FFT graph from a WITMotion sensor. Is it correct that you are using the "Sound Spectrum Analysis" app?(https://apps.apple.com/be/app/sound-spe ... 1434975523)
I am very curious how you get that data from the WITmotion sensor in this app. Does the acquisition of the vibrations take place directly in the app, or do you import this data via a file?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me further.
Great questions.

You are correct in that I was using that app to make those plots. For those particular plots, yes I was using a data file that I imported from my witmotion accelerometer.

In short, I generated a few test files using my phone’s accelerometer. I don’t know how familiar you are with using Linux based commands on something like the terminal app on MacOS, but basically is was able to get a text editor (emacs) to open the data files when I transferred them over to the computer.

From there, the syntax was pretty simple and I wrote a little python script to convert data files from my witmotion accelerometer and put them into the format consistent with the iPhone app. Then it was as easy as loading those files back onto the phone and opening them directly from the app.

Now there is another way but I’ve only gotten it to work sparingly. If your witmotion accelerometer has the Bluetooth capability, you can get the app to search for Bluetooth devices and connect the app to the accelerometer that way. But like I said, it’s been iffy on getting that to work.

And finally, this website is really helpful and has YouTube videos on a lot of this stuff: https://usefulmobileapps.com/en/vibrati ... elerometer

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 am

I wonder how the Bantam vs Zillion would be?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:27 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 am
I wonder how the Bantam vs Zillion would be?
Yeah this would eliminate the magnesium from the argument. Also would be interesting to see an aluminum geared Zillion versus the US brass gear model.

The Zillion is a pretty special reel is smoothness though. I've had a new Conquest for a short time and from what I can tell so far the Zillion matches it. Knobs and a few other touches aren't as refined, but for pure winding feel they are very close if not equal.