BFS going mainstream? Curado BFS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS going mainstream? Curado BFS

Post by slipperybob » Sun May 02, 2021 12:12 am

Is it going to be the end of summer before this reel really gets over here... :doh:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 am

slipperybob wrote: ↑
Sun May 02, 2021 12:12 am
Is it going to be the end of summer before this reel really gets over here... :doh:
...Idk but, it keeps getting pushed back. According the to people that respond to Shimano's customer service email portal, they shipped some to some retailers....idk which ones though. I put my preorder in with Tackle Warehouse right away and my date now says 6/1/21. I heard from sources it may be after that even.

It kinda rubbed me wrong how this is shaking out. They announce it's release out of the blue and then all these retailers have them for backorder (I'm assuming they were given guidance as to when the reel would be shipping). It then keeps getting pushed back. I believe it really kills the hype for it.

All Shimano had to do was give us a realistic date and go from there.

I got an SLX BFS on the way now. I will still keep my Curado BFS preorder. I will compare the two and then probably sell one. I got a Scorpion BFS as well so, should be a good test to what Shimano been up to.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun May 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: ↑
Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 am
slipperybob wrote: ↑
Sun May 02, 2021 12:12 am
...Idk but, it keeps getting pushed back. According the to people that respond to Shimano's customer service email portal, they shipped some to some retailers....idk which ones though. I put my preorder in with Tackle Warehouse right away and my date now says 6/1/21. I heard from sources it may be after that even.

It kinda rubbed me wrong how this is shaking out. They announce it's release out of the blue and then all these retailers have them for backorder (I'm assuming they were given guidance as to when the reel would be shipping). It then keeps getting pushed back. I believe it really kills the hype for it.

All Shimano had to do was give us a realistic date and go from there.

I got an SLX BFS on the way now. I will still keep my Curado BFS preorder. I will compare the two and then probably sell one. I got a Scorpion BFS as well so, should be a good test to what Shimano been up to.
I pre-ordered mine the day of released announcement, just waiting with money out of pocket...
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm

I preorder mine at tackledirect but canceled it and bought the slx bfs from japan instead. Then when i heard discount tackle has a curado bfs in stock i grabbed that one as well πŸ˜…. My curado bfs just came in today and i notice one thing that i dont like about both reels is that the outer braking is so damn hard to adjust.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon May 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Cal wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 am
Johnny A wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:07 am
Just for perspective, did a quick search and the first mention of BFS on TT here, was in 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30688

10 years to mainstream? :-k
It may not have been referred to as "Bait Finesse" at the time, but our first review of a finesse tuned bait casting reel was actually in 2004 with the limited edition, yellow Pixy by Daiwa:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapixy.html

Daiwa attempted to introduce the movement to US anglers by bringing the PX68 across the pond a year after they debuted the PX68 in Japan. It was still a pricey reel though, so it didn't take off:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapx68.html
i wish they would bring over some rods to match the reels, i really think that would help.

i've kind of become a little obsessed as of late by bfs. i just like the idea of a 1# bass feeling like a giant :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Jbc88 wrote: ↑
Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm
I preorder mine at tackledirect but canceled it and bought the slx bfs from japan instead. Then when i heard discount tackle has a curado bfs in stock i grabbed that one as well πŸ˜…. My curado bfs just came in today and i notice one thing that i dont like about both reels is that the outer braking is so damn hard to adjust.
I was in the same boat. I didn't cancel my preorder for the Curado though. I got the SLX out today. Performs pretty good. The Curado will get to me tomorrow and I will fish it then. I will be comparing the two and seeing a bunch of parts swapping is able to be done.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:27 am

Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 pm
I was in the same boat. I didn't cancel my preorder for the Curado though. I got the SLX out today. Performs pretty good. The Curado will get to me tomorrow and I will fish it then. I will be comparing the two and seeing a bunch of parts swapping is able to be done.
How would you compare those two reels with the alpha air? Stock out of the box on all three reels? Now i plan to have a bfs set up with me at all times whenever im fishing. πŸ˜„

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Thu May 13, 2021 10:27 am
Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 pm
How would you compare those two reels with the alpha air? Stock out of the box on all three reels? Now i plan to have a bfs set up with me at all times whenever im fishing. πŸ˜„
They aren't as capable on the low end as the Alphas AIR TW. I don't fault them though. They are meant for typical bass finesse lures and do that well so far in my testing.

ckoffend
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ckoffend » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:19 am

My reel arrives today (6/3/21) and am excited to give it a try this weekend. Found by chance a Zodias BFS Rod at Dorn's in Madison WI. I grew up with spinning reels, all my casting reels are Shimano DC (Curado, Scorpion and SLX) - so it will be interesting how long my learning curve on this non-DC reel will be? Like others, my advance order via TackleWarehouse was delayed to August. American Legacy sent me an e-mail stating they had then in stock - ordered instantly! I think if it works as advertised, a Shimano BFS reel at under $200 seems like a bargain to me!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:40 am

ckoffend wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:19 am
My reel arrives today (6/3/21) and am excited to give it a try this weekend. Found by chance a Zodias BFS Rod at Dorn's in Madison WI. I grew up with spinning reels, all my casting reels are Shimano DC (Curado, Scorpion and SLX) - so it will be interesting how long my learning curve on this non-DC reel will be? Like others, my advance order via TackleWarehouse was delayed to August. American Legacy sent me an e-mail stating they had then in stock - ordered instantly! I think if it works as advertised, a Shimano BFS reel at under $200 seems like a bargain to me!
I think the Curado BFS is really nice for under 200. It has treated me very well so far. Solid feeling reel and casts pretty good in the finesse bass situations I put it though