Smaller reel for braid with Glide Baits

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Smaller reel for braid with Glide Baits

Post by amso4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:57 am

I have been experimenting with using a Fuego reel with 3-4 oz glidebaits. Everything was going fine until yesterday, after a cast, the reel would not crank back in. The handle would not turn. Luckily the "lock up" did not happen on the cast, but instead on the retrieve.

I have been reluctant to buy a Tranx or other big bait reel since I don't really want a heavy 300 sized reel since I am using 65lb braid with a diameter of 12lb mono. I don't need a giant spool for braid due to its line diameter. I can get enough on a standard 100-150 reel.

I guess the Fuego cannot handle the stresses of such a heavy bait and caused it failure. I will take it apart and see what went wrong.

My question is "Is there a 100-150 sized reel that has enough internal strength to handle throwing a 3-4oz bait without destroying the reel? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Smaller reel for braid with Glide Baits

Post by eklikewhoa » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:07 am

Smaller size usually means smaller and thinner gears.

If you wanna push it then maybe the zillion HD

If you decide to give in I got a brand new tranx 300A righthand, pm me if interested

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 am

I throw glides and other big baits with 150 sized reels all the time using braid to mono or fluoro leader... the Shimano Bantam, Chronarch, Metanium, Scorpion, Daiwa Tatula, Zillion, among others. You might just need to step up in price point for more durability.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 am

Daiwa TD Zillion

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 am

Cal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 am
I throw glides and other big baits with 150 sized reels all the time using braid to mono or fluoro leader... the Shimano Bantam, Chronarch, Metanium, Scorpion, Daiwa Tatula, Zillion, among others. You might just need to step up in price point for more durability.
Ok Thats what I needed to know, I will give them a try. I thought the Fuego and the Tatula were basically the same internals.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 pm

The fuego issue is most likely from the metal star (clutch wheel i believe its called) that resets your thumb bar on handle retrieve. Happened to me on a few used reels i bought over the years. Easy replacement for $10.

As for a new reel that isn't too large, i could never not suggest the Z2020 enough.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:23 am

Buy anything without MM gears.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:48 am

I have a Curado K 200 that I have repurposed. I think I got about 85 yds of 65lb Maxcuatro on it. It should have more room based on the line diameter. Maybe my POS line counter needs replacement.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:05 am

There are also smaller round reels, I have been using a Ringa SSS for 1-3oz glides/wakes for 2 years now with no issue. For me a smaller round reel palms more comfortably then a larger lowpro. I have used it for heavier lures a few times and never felt like it was being overpowered.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:10 am

300 Tranx is a surprisingly small reel, if you haven't seen one in person.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 am

amso4 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 am
Cal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 am
.... I thought the Fuego and the Tatula were basically the same internals.
If you have the Fuego CT, then yes, the internals are the same, except for the T-wing on the Tatula. Both those reels have a graphite sideplate. The Tat 150 and 200 both have aluminum sideplates, which helps keep the gears aligned when under heavy load, as is the case with the larger baits you mentioned.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:56 pm

If you have the Fuego CT, then yes, the internals are the same, except for the T-wing on the Tatula. Both those reels have a graphite sideplate. The Tat 150 and 200 both have aluminum sideplates, which helps keep the gears aligned when under heavy load, as is the case with the larger baits you mentioned.
[/quote]

The Fuego was a CT that locked up. Still not sure what broke in the reel. I got it running again, but its really rough in the gears. I need to take a closer look at the teeth on the gears.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:32 pm

Bantam is built like a tank