Conquest DC or any IDC5 Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Conquest DC or any IDC5 Shimano

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

I'm usually using braid to leader, usually 7-8ft of 8-12lb fluoro (knot right outside the reel when casting).

Should I set my line selection to PE or Fluoro? What if I'm using 20ft of topshot?

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Conquest DC or any IDC5 Shimano

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:08 am

Whichever works better for you.

I take it as suggestions, FC setting is going to higher braking while PE is less

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm
I'm usually using braid to leader, usually 7-8ft of 8-12lb fluoro (knot right outside the reel when casting).

Should I set my line selection to PE or Fluoro? What if I'm using 20ft of topshot?
You know I’ve been playing around with this reel and I’m almost convinced that it doesn’t know which line is actually on the reel so I’ve tried all the setting with different line ie braid, mono, floro

I usually put the mono setting even though I’m using floro
After reading the review of the conquest DC I kinda used the suggestion as a blueprint. So I don’t think about the line I have on the reel per say as much as I think about the braking of the setting. So I would suggest you try that as well and see how you like it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 am

Thanks guys, I played around with it and will be sticking to PE - the floro setting does feel slightly overbraked.

I'm finding best distance with a 110 at 2 with a skimming of thumb through the middle of the cast, and 3 is pretty much thumbs free even into the wind.