Scorpion SVS 4x4 as a finesse reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Scorpion SVS 4x4 as a finesse reel?

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am

Purchased a couple spools for my Daiwas to dabble in BFS. While sitting around killing time today, I remembered this reel I picked up used a few years ago. Seems like with 3 pounds max drag it should fit the BFS profile.

Quote from TT review: "In our tests, we were able to cast everything from split shot rigs using a 3/0 weight and #2 light wire hook to three quarter ounce lipless cranks all with relative ease. But perhaps our favorite offerings with the Scorpion were weightless plastics such as the Zoom Horny Toad and Yamamoto Senko. Not once were we disappointed by the Scorpion’s casting performance and we were even more impressed by how well the reel facilitates pitching presentations."

Used it twice. First time was okay, but second time drag was sticking so I set it aside for sending out for a good cleaning....which hasn't happened yet. I've read Shimanos already have good bearings. I was wondering from those of you with actual experience using this reel feel if you think it is a good candidate for BFS as is, or should I try a few upgrades?

Forget about me investing $100 or more in a spool. A Ray's Studio would have to suffice,...provided a spool is even offered by them for this reel. If not an option from Ray's, are there any other reasonable options? Almost always upgrade my reels to a Carbontex drag when sent out, but don't know if it would help this reel???

I've already got two possible rod options. An OG Falcon Expert 6’9” LF 1/16-3/8 oz. and a 7’ LF Custom by Vinnie B MHX HM spin jig blank 6-10 lb. 1/16-3/8 oz. Would love to add a Phenix Feather 7'1" LF to the arsenal.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Scorpion SVS 4x4 as a finesse reel?

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:43 am

Should pair well to a M or ML rod. Would work well on a softer tipped M rod. Maybe even from the same era or a modern St Croix since their rods look old as dirt new.