Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Post Reply
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by reason162 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 am

Mainly looking to throw 4 - 8 grams (1/8-1/4oz) baits, lightest is probably a 4" keitech shad impact on 1/0 EWG, z2 cranks, Rozante 77s etc...maybe up to 3/8 for the 110 Jrs but primarily in that 4-8 gram range.

I don't think I need a full blown BFS reel, but what are some in between models for this application people like, perhaps the Alphas CT SV, or the new Alphas SV TW? New Zillion with an aftermarket spool? Curado 70 MGL?

Open to any and all suggestions as long as it's Shimano or Daiwa :)

peterJDM
Angler
Angler
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 am

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by peterJDM » Mon May 03, 2021 9:42 am

Have you looked into the Shimano Aldebaran? Even the older ones are great reels for a good price. The 09 Aldebaran Mg is the JDM version of the Core 50Mg7 and it's pretty cheap. The 12 Aldebaran BFS is also great for a few more dollars.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 am

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by peterJDM » Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 am

And also if you don't need a dedicated BFS reel, the JDM 2020 Metanium MGL is a good reel with the 70 size spool instead of the 150 size US spool.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 10:06 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 am


Open to any and all suggestions as long as it's Shimano or Daiwa :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by ss30378 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

That weight range is what I use on my ML setup. The aldebaran 30 MGL or any of the 30mm ct spooled reels would be your top performers for out of the box new stuff. The alphas sv tw does well with the lighter baits but the mgl and 30mm ct spools startup quicker when full with line and are better for the 4-6g range.

All the new aftermarket spools can transform general purpose reels into power bfs options. I use a cosugi works spool in an alphas FC for my ML rod, it has similar capacity to the MGL 30 spool and with a soft 8lb line will rocket everything from 3-4" senkos to small t-rig's and other small plugs.

Just make sure you pair it with the right rod and you'll have a fun setup.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by Dalleinf » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I have all three 30 mm Daiwa CT reels and may be one of few people on here that do not love them.
I do, however, love the 34 mm Daiwa platform and the vast array of available spools that make them perfect for BFS”+” including 4-8 gram lures.
My suggestion would be either Daiwa Steez SV TW (not from this year due to price) or the latest Daiwa Zillion SV TW.
Zpi nrc001m (if you can find it) or KTF or Roro spool with line capacity as needed. Choice of spool will depend on your appreciation for fixed (zpi, roro) or moving inductor (ktf, rays).

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:01 pm

peterJDM wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 am
And also if you don't need a dedicated BFS reel, the JDM 2020 Metanium MGL is a good reel with the 70 size spool instead of the 150 size US spool.
This is what I use.

I'm also waiting until hedgehog studio has the Yumeya shallow spool back in stock for the Metanium 20.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 6:05 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 am
Mainly looking to throw 4 - 8 grams (1/8-1/4oz) baits, lightest is probably a 4" keitech shad impact on 1/0 EWG, z2 cranks, Rozante 77s etc...maybe up to 3/8 for the 110 Jrs but primarily in that 4-8 gram range.

I don't think I need a full blown BFS reel, but what are some in between models for this application people like, perhaps the Alphas CT SV, or the new Alphas SV TW? New Zillion with an aftermarket spool? Curado 70 MGL?

Open to any and all suggestions as long as it's Shimano or Daiwa :)
I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you dont NEED a bfs reel to do what you want to do you simply need a reel that can perform consistently within that range of weight. Im a self admitted fickle person when it comes to reels and such.. In all honesty I believe you can get that from a steez reel with the RCS G1 spool or just a Pixy that has been tuned. Some may agree and some may disagree with that but I think what it going to come down to is your rod.

What is the rod you intend for this ?
also I did forget to mention an 09 Aldebaran with a yumeya spool should get you there as well.
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by Dalleinf » Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:05 pm
reason162 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 am
Mainly looking to throw 4 - 8 grams (1/8-1/4oz) baits, lightest is probably a 4" keitech shad impact on 1/0 EWG, z2 cranks, Rozante 77s etc...maybe up to 3/8 for the 110 Jrs but primarily in that 4-8 gram range.

I don't think I need a full blown BFS reel, but what are some in between models for this application people like, perhaps the Alphas CT SV, or the new Alphas SV TW? New Zillion with an aftermarket spool? Curado 70 MGL?

Open to any and all suggestions as long as it's Shimano or Daiwa :)
I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you dont NEED a bfs reel to do what you want to do you simply need a reel that can perform consistently within that range of weight. Im a self admitted fickle person when it comes to reels and such.. In all honesty I believe you can get that from a steez reel with the RCS G1 spool or just a Pixy that has been tuned. Some may agree and some may disagree with that but I think what it going to come down to is your rod.

What is the rod you intend for this ?
also I did forget to mention an 09 Aldebaran with a yumeya spool should get you there as well.
Haha, yes, NEED is debatable. For 7-8g most modern LP reels do great. It is for the 4-5g less aerodynamic lures that I personally appreciate - not necessarily NEED :-) - a little help from a more dedicated setup / aftermarket spool in case of 34 mm daiwas…

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6313
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:45 pm

I fish what some might call power finesse, 90% of my time on the water. If you don't wish to swap spools, and just want to purchase the reel, my top recommended would be the SV Light Limited. Unfortunately, it does have a bit of that hollow feel, but it's not as bad as an SS SV or T3. I also run the spool from the SV Light Limited in my Alphas Air. It feels more solid, has brass gears, and comes with me every time out.
I also use the Alphas CT and it definitely gets the job done. It's also quite versatile, and my 3rd overall choice for power finesse fishing.
My absolute favorite combo for fishing these weights is the Steez SV TW (not CT), and I run the Zpi Nrc001-m spool in it. This reel also makes every trip with me, and is my favorite reel I've owned. If you don't want to purchase the Zpi spool, the JDM Steez 1012 SV TW is almost as good. The 1012 spool it comes with is a bit more shallow than the standard Steez 1016 SV TW. This reel is an 8:1 gear ratio, but the standard 1016 comes in lower ratios. You could purchase the Zpi Nrc001-m or Steez 1012 spool separately. All of these spools will work for your needs. Mid drift versatile spools that work great with weights between 1/8 oz and 7/16 oz.
I have been using the new Zillion for about a month now. It's pretty awesome, but not as versatile as the reels mentioned above. It fits the 3/8 oz and up category better imo. What type and size of line will you be using? If you want a little more detail about any of them, feel free to send me a message.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by reason162 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks guys, definitely want something I can use out of box w/o spool swapping (yet), and since this is an experiment to replace some of my M-powered spinning rod duties would like to keep it under 300ish...therefore leaning hard on the Alphas CT SV.

Rod is up in the air - I preordered an Adrena 67BFS but god knows when they will be available. Might give the Legit Rod Wildside BFS model a try.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6313
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:11 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 pm
Thanks guys, definitely want something I can use out of box w/o spool swapping (yet), and since this is an experiment to replace some of my M-powered spinning rod duties would like to keep it under 300ish...therefore leaning hard on the Alphas CT SV.

Rod is up in the air - I preordered an Adrena 67BFS but god knows when they will be available. Might give the Legit Rod Wildside BFS model a try.
The Alphas CT will serve you well.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by adam lancia » Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 am

The Alphas CT SV is perfect for what you're describing, and, since it's so versatile, even if you don't like it for your intended use, it'll fit a lot of other duties as well so you aren't stuck with a one trick pony that you can't use. It's a solid feeling, smooth, and small reel that is one of the best bang for the buck purchases I've made.

User avatar
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)
Contact:

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 am

There have been many great suggestions here. Alphas CT is a great reel for the weights you mentioned. The OG Alphas framework it is built on is rock solid and super dependable.

I like the 12 Aldebaran BFS myself. Such a joy to fish with and is ergonomic beyond belief. It can get squirrelly with wind depending on the lure.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Which Reel for BFS "+"?

Post by reason162 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:37 am

Awesome, Alphas CT ordered - wind is definitely a factor esp with the baits I intend to throw.

Post Reply