Zillion HLC... the neglected child

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion HLC... the neglected child

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

Love this reel but every year I find myself not using it as much. Currently it's used to throw spooks and poppers with 30lb braid, 3/8oz jigs and tubes on the river occasionally. I've thrown weightless senkos on it but the spool is pretty wild for that. Just feel like I'm not utilizing the HLC enough. I've thrown frogs on it with 50lb braid, but it's slower and I already have a dedicated frog setup with a Tatula type R. The reel is all original with the 6.3. Owners of this reel, what do you use yours for? Trying to get some ideas on what I can do with it. Thanks.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Zillion HLC... the neglected child

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 am

Have the same problem... Spool is so wild with anything under half ounce that its hard to fish the techniques I prefer. Would be great for slinging heavy football jigs or something I'm sure but thats just not something I do.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 am

Would it be good for bomb casting spinnerbaits? I have a steez sv tn special edition that I put a HLC spring in the SV spool so I can do just this and it seems to fit the bill. 6.3 gears as well. I don't need super fast for spinnerbaits. I can speed up or slow down. whatcha think?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am

If I were either of you I’d would seek out a 100M spool
From what I’m told it’s great in that particular reel.
Outside of that I would find an IP79 spool of which I am a huge fan.

I have an OG zillion custom painted (poor man’s zillion R ) upgraded gears to 7:91 high speed pinion worm gear hlc handle RCS knobs that spin forever and I’ve just taken it off my rod. It was and is a great reel so I feel your pain
If you can’t find anything else you’d like it for sell it. My motto is I’ll sell what I like and keep what I love.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 am

Yeah, same problem; had the spool, was wild AF, sold the spool. I guess it depends on if you have room in your lineup for a dedicated bomber.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 pm

bassmaster_flex wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am
Love this reel but every year I find myself not using it as much. Currently it's used to throw spooks and poppers with 30lb braid, 3/8oz jigs and tubes on the river occasionally. I've thrown weightless senkos on it but the spool is pretty wild for that. Just feel like I'm not utilizing the HLC enough. I've thrown frogs on it with 50lb braid, but it's slower and I already have a dedicated frog setup with a Tatula type R. The reel is all original with the 6.3. Owners of this reel, what do you use yours for? Trying to get some ideas on what I can do with it. Thanks.

Frog bomber. Change the gears out to a faster ratio if you like. It will annihilate a Tatula in distance.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Antonese wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 am
Would it be good for bomb casting spinnerbaits? I have a steez sv tn special edition that I put a HLC spring in the SV spool so I can do just this and it seems to fit the bill. 6.3 gears as well. I don't need super fast for spinnerbaits. I can speed up or slow down. whatcha think?
No. HLCs need compact baits to bomb cast. Deep crank, lipless, frog ect.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm

I use it to cast 3 oz bombardas (with fly).

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon May 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Anything a 1/2 oz and up. Whopper poppers, bigger chatterbaits or spinnerbaits, lipless cranks.

If the spool is too wild plug in a Zillion 50th or a standard zillion spool.

I am not a fan of the 100m spool in an OG Zillion but many are.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 pm

How wild is wild cause I have that spool in my TDZ reel
Not sure which model but I use it with blitz max and I don’t have any issues on that “wildness”
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon May 03, 2021 4:55 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am
If I were either of you I’d would seek out a 100M spool
From what I’m told it’s great in that particular reel.
Outside of that I would find an IP79 spool of which I am a huge fan.

I have an OG zillion custom painted (poor man’s zillion R ) upgraded gears to 7:91 high speed pinion worm gear hlc handle RCS knobs that spin forever and I’ve just taken it off my rod. It was and is a great reel so I feel your pain
If you can’t find anything else you’d like it for sell it. My motto is I’ll sell what I like and keep what I love.

I have a 100m spool currently in another reel. Just might have to swap and play around with it. I remember I was going to put it up for sale. As I was typing it, I deleted it all. Just can’t part with it for some reason!

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon May 03, 2021 5:13 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 pm
How wild is wild cause I have that spool in my TDZ reel
Not sure which model but I use it with blitz max and I don’t have any issues on that “wildness”
Lots of overrun with anything less than 1/2oz. Almost spins too fast.

A couple options I’ll think about, see where I need another reel. Keep the 6.3 and use it to bomb lipless crank baits, or swap in the faster gears and use it for frogs.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Have you considered an aftermarket spool such as one found on ebay “ FOR DAIWA TD-Z 100 / TD ZILLION 100 / PREMIUM SPOOL / SDS CUSTOM” - it is available in matching silver, has fixed inductor, weighs 7.8g with bearing and will transform your reel.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 pm
Have you considered an aftermarket spool such as one found on ebay “ FOR DAIWA TD-Z 100 / TD ZILLION 100 / PREMIUM SPOOL / SDS CUSTOM” - it is available in matching silver, has fixed inductor, weighs 7.8g with bearing and will transform your reel.
Do you have any experience with these spools? Can you give some review? I asked him some questions but he just said they are good for long bombing casts, not too specific on strengths and weaknesses...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm

I have it in my steez a hlc and like it. Reminds me of zpi nrc001pg for the 34 mm daiwas. Yes, it works fine for long casts but it is the better control and much more relaxed and effortless casts that I find advantageous over hlc spools that demand heavy/aerodynamic lures and powerful casts for best performance.
I run mine with braid. Have not tried mono or fc but as it resembles the zpi spool a bit, I guess fc will do well on the spool.