Zillion HLC... the neglected child

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion HLC... the neglected child

Post by SSS » Sun May 23, 2021 6:32 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:34 am
SSS wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:48 pm
tbh he is using 50lb+ line, a what seems to be a 9foot rod and an aoero dynamic lead weight, and casts like it was a casting distance tournament. I have spooled my z2020 with 50lb jbraid, a 7.2foot rod and 1.5oz musky lures. With a lead weight, it would be very easy to do.
Looks more like a 20# to me. When I spool mine of 50# my flight time/time to empty is not that long. That's a good second maybe two longer than it takes to empty mine of 50# braid. That's gotta be closer to a 20# braid. No idea on the bait he using but the point is these spools absolutely bomb if you cast them like yout not afraid of it or are afraid of it. Not sure. Definitely don't roll cast it pitch with one. Learned that one right away with mine. I really want a Z for my Hyuga 72H. The problem I have right now is that my 1 oz baits will spool both my Zillion HD Catalina spool and my IP68 HLC for 65 and 50# braid respectively. I wish the Catalina spool wasn't so shallow. It actually bombs really well but only has slightly more capacity than a TD Zillion spool.

I'm still on the hunt for the high capacity bass reel with a distance tuned braking profile that's not some fixed inductor thing. Kinda committed to the Zillion HD at this point though.
I mean, we can't be relying on flight times here. The line looks real thick, so it could be an aliexpress noname #20 that is as thick as #40-50. He is guaranteed to be using a bullet lead weight. Seen a bunch of Russian vids showcasting casting distance, and its always a half a ounce to an once lead weight. I use my Z on the Hyuga72H. Sweetass combo and palms so nicely with that reel seat.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 23, 2021 9:22 am

The 72H hyuga is a sweet rod. Very versatile. It is very hard to determine casting distance in videos due to the affect the lense has on making baits look like they land super far away. Typically flight time is a good indication. If a spool with that type of capacity spins bonkers fast for that long then the thing it threw went really, really far.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 27, 2021 10:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:28 am
toddmc wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:46 am
I can spool a regular TD Zillion with a heavier frog and a heavier 50 lb. braid. The HLC will do it a little easier. You don't really want a frog that far away from you when you are fishing though.
If you're stuck on the bank you do.
You are right in that you sometimes have to make due. I tend to lose a lot of frog fish with a full spool of line out because there is often more bow in your line causing the bait to be facing to the side on the hookset. Far too many of these fish are never hooked properly, and they have way too much time and distance to get in the junk before you can get to them. I was throwing the frog from shore at night to large pad fields a few weeks ago. The wind was howling, and I had no problem emptying my spool when casting downwind. Unfortunately, I landed maybe 4 of eight strikes, but I would never have gotten to those fish in the middle of the lake without a long cast. When I am in my boat, I try to strategically plan my attack with shorter casts when the terrain allows me to.

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Well I remember now why I bought this thing in the first place. I was throwing 1/2oz lipless crank baits on the river and it sings. Nice whizz sound. a faster set of gears and it’s a frogging machine! What gear set fits and where can I get it? The Trap?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:47 pm

bassmaster_flex wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm
Well I remember now why I bought this thing in the first place. I was throwing 1/2oz lipless crank baits on the river and it sings. Nice whizz sound. a faster set of gears and it’s a frogging machine! What gear set fits and where can I get it? The Trap?
Yep. It's a heck of a frog bomber too.