Back in Love again

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Back in Love again

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am

I am going through so I love and like and going to get rid of some stuff problem is I wondered does it get any better?
Like five years from now will the new reel be a better reel than what you have.. I am taken back by how smooth the new conquest 100 hg is but I just picked up an old favorite frankenfuego and it is smooth in its purist form.. Like the OG fuego reel is just one of my reels that I thought I should sell than I pick it up and turn the handle and fall back in love once more.
I know that some of you may have experienced something similar and just would like you to share. Its amazing when you are reminded how do a reel is.. I call it my frankenfuego cause it has the OG zillion spool, and bearing up grades and a variety of nick back parts that aren't stock which to me enhance the looks and feel of the reel. Anyways enjoy your today.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Back in Love again

Post by Antonese » Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am

I also share in this dilemma. You have formed a bond with an old friend/reel that you put some work into and you have a history. I believe the new reels perform better stock ie zillion 1000 and met 2020. However with your investment/history the old stuff performs almost as well and is bullet proof. I only get rid of my old stuff if it is really not performing or not top end. Becomes like collector piece for me with memories. I like to mix in with the new. Cull out some of the lack luster pieces is my opinion and keep the gems. Once its gone its not likely coming back. My two cents worth. Let me know your thoughts!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am

Antonese wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am
I also share in this dilemma. You have formed a bond with an old friend/reel that you put some work into and you have a history. I believe the new reels perform better stock ie zillion 1000 and met 2020. However with your investment/history the old stuff performs almost as well and is bullet proof. I only get rid of my old stuff if it is really not performing or not top end. Becomes like collector piece for me with memories. I like to mix in with the new. Cull out some of the lack luster pieces is my opinion and keep the gems. Once its gone its not likely coming back. My two cents worth. Let me know your thoughts!
I was just responding to the Zillion HLC post and echo what you are saying.
I know I could sell this fuego but once you put it on a rod it you find out fast how good it is. I’m selling the rod it was on and although I like the rod I don’t love it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am

I had that recently. Not with a Daiwa, but with a Pflueger.

I bought an original Patriarch back in 2005 (I believe). Loved that reel and found myself using it for everything. I made it the "barn" reel several years back and now kids, wife, friends, etc. use the reel when at the house.

This winter, I went through all my gear and thought about selling that Pflueger. I decided to fish with it first and promptly decided it will never leave.

I tried to estimate how many fish that reel has caught. And between bass, crappie, catfish, bream, speckled trout, and redfish, I came up with a low estimate of over 10K fish. Some reels mean more than others for sure.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm

I just upgraded my pixy gears to a new brass set in 7.2 from the alphas air, and that thing is so ridiculously smooth that i just don't know how much smoother it can get. If you tune the older reels, i think they're as good or better (depending on your platform preference) than the newer stuff. All i am saying is that the pixies and the og alphas's will never leave me 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm
I just upgraded my pixy gears to a new brass set in 7.2 from the alphas air, and that thing is so ridiculously smooth that i just don't know how much smoother it can get. If you tune the older reels, i think they're as good or better (depending on your platform preference) than the newer stuff. All i am saying is that the pixies and the og alphas's will never leave me 8-)
Funny thing is
I just put both my pixies on pa rods
My wife and I were walking through a store when I saw the pxtr in person and she got it on the spot. I finally started using it because it has occurred to me that using it was her expectations from the start. The other is the px68

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm

I haven't fallen out of love with my reels. :big grin: But I am not as discriminating as you guys. :lol:

Really need to sell some, but just don't see it happening as I don't know how I could part with more than one or two of them at the most. :roll:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 5:56 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm
I haven't fallen out of love with my reels. :big grin: But I am not as discriminating as you guys. :lol:

Really need to sell some, but just don't see it happening as I don't know how I could part with more than one or two of them at the most. :roll:
I almost sold all my conquest and two Z's and two steez
for me its about perfection.. the reel has to do what I want it to do so that means the rod has to compliment the reel.
There are a few setups that I consider to be perfect. For example if you are using a conquest it will have to be with a moving bait otherwise I am of the opinion you are missing out. So today I through both my DC reels on my spinner bait rods ( IMX 843 and SBR812) I know those rods are old but they do great.. Anyways that made me have to find a home for my other nonDC conquest and I put them on crank bait rods.. I was rather frustrated this morning and I am clearing out stuff.. the guy had been looking for that lami rod for 5 years and I had his contact so I figured why not let someone else get more memories out of it..

but some things are hard to sell and that I a fact too.
If there was any reel that I dont think I will ever sell it would be my custom painted Zillion.. its just beautiful.. painted in Grand piano black still going strong..

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 am

Fuego and Sol are two of the most under appreciated reels ever.
Last edited by BigG on Sat May 08, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 am

The OG Fuego is the single most underrated reel ever made imho. I will always have at least one in rotation.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat May 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Both of my TD Fuegos are amazing with TDZ gears. Just about every part has been upgraded. 5 additional bearings from stock doesn't hurt. I've posted a lot of pictures of both on here. I love the undrilled Ray's spool in that platform. I was throwing the swimjig with it last night. The TD Fuego is just under 7 ounces with upgrades and the Ray's spool. Not bad for an old reel with durable all brass gears. That spool not only pitches easily with light stuff because of the 10 g weight, it is a great distance spool that rarely backlashes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Never had one of these. Are they just magnesium TD Zillions?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:33 pm
The Fuego has a 36mm spool like the Zillion. It has the same magnesium frame as a TDZ 100M, but with 6.3 gears.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 am
LowRange wrote:
The Fuego has a 36mm spool like the Zillion. It has the same magnesium frame as a TDZ 100M, but with 6.3 gears.
So it's a TDZ 100 with a different name?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 am
LowRange wrote:
So it's a TDZ 100 with a different name?
Yes, only it has a brass crank shaft and brass worm gear, heavier spool and riveted handle, which is why it's heavier than the 100M.